Any tips on upping protein without fat? (Vegetarian!)

Options

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    googleing vegetarian high protein foods would serve you better
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Buy plain Greek yogurt and blend it with herbs or dip mix to use it as savory dip to go with veggies.

Mushrooms are pretty good protein, as are broccoli, peas, and a number of other veggies.

If you have the budget, look for meat analog brand Beyond Meat. They make really tasty chik'n strips with loads of protein, but they are quite expensive and kind of high in sodium. I only buy them when Whole Foods puts them on sale.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Textured vegetable protein (TVP) gets a rap because it's heavily processed. However, it has lots of protein and fibre, it's cheap and it requires very little prep time compared to dry beans (10min vs. overnight). I started using it to replace beef in my chilli and I'm very happy with how it turned out.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just cut out processed food and eat more natural food that grows out of the ground. The high protein thing is a total myth. It's going to get converted into glucose anyways.
    But if you are that worried about protein, all your veggies have a surprisingly high amount of protein in them.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The high protein thing is a total myth. It's going to get converted into glucose anyways.

Source?
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Quinoa its a grain with complete protein... add it to salads cooked cereal ect I use it all the time.. I'm not vegetarian but try to eat protein every meal... I have used my Greek yogurt with banana and whey protein powder with some skim milkand really boost the protein intake....for breakfast... yummya
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Quinoa its a grain with complete protein... add it to salads cooked cereal ect I use it all the time.. I'm not vegetarian but try to eat protein every meal... I have used my Greek yogurt with banana and whey protein powder with some skim milkand really boost the protein intake....for breakfast... yummya
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The high protein thing is a total myth. It's going to get converted into glucose anyways.
    But if you are that worried about protein, all your veggies have a surprisingly high amount of protein in them.

:huh:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Quorn products work for me.

And why do people want vegetarians to eat fish?
    Being a vegetarian is a life choice, not something I want to switch on and off.

Just saying...:ohwell:
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    And why do people want vegetarians to eat fish?
    Being a vegetarian is a life choice, not something I want to switch on and off.

Just saying...:ohwell:

Some people don't consider fish meat because it isn't warm blooded. I personally think this is silly though, because I mean, what is it then? A vegetable?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I cant see anyone has mentioned milk? If you're worried about fat intake then maybe skimmed milk.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is high in fat though
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

:huh:

I'm interested in the evidence that excess protein gets converted into glucose? Not being smart - just wondering if you have evidence?
  • chadya07
    Options
    black beans!

low in fat high in so many good things.

you can make them into fat free refried beans or bean dip. or add them to salads, even make them into breads.

also if you dont make your own hummus do so, it is easy as pie and you can control the fat content. commercial hummus is usually really really high in fat not to mention preservatives and sodium. its also cheaper. really you can make a batch in 5 minutes. and use less olive oil and add water for moisture. (but you do need some olive oil). experiment with a few small batches until you get what you like then you can add more flavors too.
  • chadya07
    Options
    im pretty sure it CAN get converted to glucose when needed but it doesnt unless your body is in defecit. (in respons to the protein to glucose comment)

anyway i studied notrition in college and remember that vaguely i might be wrong.
  • chadya07
    Options
    artichokes... yum. they are like the meat of the green plants world. or no wait. not really. still artichokes. and artichokes are incredibly filling and satisfying too. and flavorful enough on their own to not need anything added.

lots of veggies are high in protein so you dont really have to have a set protein source in a meal if you balance right
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    black beans!

low in fat high in so many good things.

you can make them into fat free refried beans or bean dip. or add them to salads, even make them into breads.

also if you dont make your own hummus do so, it is easy as pie and you can control the fat content. commercial hummus is usually really really high in fat not to mention preservatives and sodium. its also cheaper. really you can make a batch in 5 minutes. and use less olive oil and add water for moisture. (but you do need some olive oil). experiment with a few small batches until you get what you like then you can add more flavors too.

Thanks for all the tips with Black beans... I will have to look up. As an aside, I make my hummus with no oil. Tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and water. Yummo. Just make sure you have enough water, otherwise you shrivel up. Traditional hummus actually doesn't have oil.
    desert candy. blogspot. com. au/2007/07/hummus-dilettante.html
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eggs, greek yogurt, beans, spinach, tofu, fat free cheese.
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I will try the eggs! I love peanut butter but sadly that seems to blow my fat allowances. I don't eat fish :(

There is a powdered peanut butter product made by Bell Plantations that you can mix with water, thus drastically cutting back the fat. It's called PB2. I have a taste for peanut butter in my oatmeal, and I just put a couple tablespoons of this instead.

http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition
  • notelling123
    notelling123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Beans. And they are full of fiber.

And carbs. Protein powders come from whey if you're allowed to drink milk. If you're not allowed, there are protein powders made from soy. But I'm not sure if those are COMPLETE proteins.