Finding Happiness as an Adult

Options
MrTolerable
MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
What makes you happy as you progress into adulthood?
As one continues to mature they realize that many things that make them 'happy' are temporary, artificial, or trivial - what makes you most happy?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    coffee-ending.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Relationships are what make me happy... my family, my friends, my love. Even the bonds I have with my pets.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    coffee-ending.jpg

^It is indeed short - and as you age time begins to move much more rapidly internally. ..even can be the case in the short term - ever take a one week vacation? - the first two days are long and relaxing - next thing you know your back at your desk muttering "da faq?"
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway progressed through adulthood. I'd like to stop now, thanks.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Relationships are what make me happy... my family, my friends, my love. Even the bonds I have with my pets.

Absolutely agree here - but once you've been in enough relationships you realize how everyone is just a blend of everyone else - no one is truly unique or special or significant - you have to willfully decide they are.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I'm halfway progressed through adulthood. I'd like to stop now, thanks.

well you certainly don't look it :wink:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I find that the older I get, the less I try. Happiness just comes at me now. I have learned to appreciate what I used to take for granted and find joy without intention .
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    With all the negativity out there, it's so hard to be happy, but as long as my loved ones are healthy, happy and find what they are looking for, then I'll be happy. My motto is to live your life because it IS so short.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Absolutely agree here - but once you've been in enough relationships you realize how everyone is just a blend of everyone else - no one is truly unique or special or significant - you have to willfully decide they are.

I agree, but also disagree. Of course, most relationships are formed from actively choosing to bond with people. But you will never be able to tell me that my kids aren't special and unique. And if my kids are special and unique, then other people's kids are special and unique. And those kids grow up, and they are still special and unique.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I love both of your comments, it is incredibly important to recall how blessed we are - that indeed is something to feel happy about.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    For me, at this point in my life, I am 46...... I realize something that makes me happy is knowing that phases, or stages of life are the way of life. Life changes, evolves....

I remember being in my youth and thought I would surf forever. I remember being an active Dad, and thought my children defined me. Then athletics, Running = Run for life! Distance Swimming- Amphibious for life! Triathlon- Tri for Life was my new mantra! haha on and on it went.

The thing was, I seemed to feel anxiety for some type of loss each time my interest would wear down or start to wain. Even feel guilty if a new interest started to take over.

Today, I am so happy to know, it's just another stage in the GREAT ADVENTURE. I don't worry for loss, nor do I pine for something new!

I'm down for the adventure.

The moment makes me happy!

sheesh, sorta deep.

Sweat Daily
    Todd
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

You have obviously not found the right person yet then.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

I agree, but also disagree. Of course, most relationships are formed from actively choosing to bond with people. But you will never be able to tell me that my kids aren't special and unique. And if my kids are special and unique, then other people's kids are special and unique. And those kids grow up, and they are still special and unique.

^I agree with your point whole-heartily - I don't have children, but I have three brothers and one sister, a rose between many thorns :wink: and likewise I feel they are all incredibly special - however they are simply biological animals wired and programmed up just like me and you. ..I guess it is in regards to perspective.

appreciate your point, I sincerely do and I sincerely agree and feel where you are coming from.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

You have obviously not found the right person yet then.

^no disagreement there.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    For me, at this point in my life, I am 46...... I realize something that makes me happy is knowing that phases, or stages of life are the way of life. Life changes, evolves....

I remember being in my youth and thought I would surf forever. I remember being an active Dad, and thought my children defined me. Then athletics, Running = Run for life! Distance Swimming- Amphibious for life! Triathlon- Tri for Life was my new mantra! haha on and on it went.

The thing was, I seemed to feel anxiety for some type of loss each time my interest would wear down or start to wain. Even feel guilty if a new interest started to take over.

Today, I am so happy to know, it's just another stage in the GREAT ADVENTURE. I don't worry for loss, nor do I pine for something new!

sheesh, sorta deep.

Sweat Daily
    Todd

Brilliant points as well - I likewise am feeling a pang of anxiety because I met the ambitious goals I had set out to accomplish - repeatedly, and I was talking to my brother last night asking how his golf game was with my father - and my father was saying how proud he was of the accomplishments we both achieved over the past few years - but I made those sacrifices thinking it would pave the way towards feelings of eternal happiness - and now I'm not saying I'm depressed or anything, but I just don't feel I made as significant a contribution into myself as I thought I did.

But life is an adventure, a journey and it is important to reflect and appreciate that.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

This is where I disagree with you. We are all unique in our own way. If we were all exactly the same the world would be a dull and boring place.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

^I agree with your point whole-heartily - I don't have children, but I have three brothers and one sister, a rose between many thorns :wink: and likewise I feel they are all incredibly special - however they are simply biological animals wired and programmed up just like me and you. ..I guess it is in regards to perspective.

appreciate your point, I sincerely do and I sincerely agree and feel where you are coming from.

We aren't just simply flesh and bone. We all have thoughts, emotions, experiences, and personality traits that we don't necessarily share with everyone else.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes. Also, two chicks at the same time.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

sheesh, sorta deep.

Sweat Daily
    Todd

Brilliant points as well - I likewise am feeling a pang of anxiety because I met the ambitious goals I had set out to accomplish - repeatedly, and I was talking to my brother last night asking how his golf game was with my father - and my father was saying how proud he was of the accomplishments we both achieved over the past few years - but I made those sacrifices thinking it would pave the way towards feelings of eternal happiness - and now I'm not saying I'm depressed or anything, but I just don't feel I made as significant a contribution into myself as I thought I did.

But life is an adventure, a journey and it is important to reflect and appreciate that.

Well it would be quite alright for you to set new goals for yourself. It's great that you achieved those goals, but if they have left you unfulfilled, then you need to set new goals for yourself that will take you in a new direction.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Nature really makes me happy. I love to sit outside, and listen to the sounds around me, hike to overlook the city, lay outside in a hammock and see the stars.

That, and going to the gun range.