Finding Happiness as an Adult

Options

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree here - but once you've been in enough relationships you realize how everyone is just a blend of everyone else - no one is truly unique or special or significant - you have to willfully decide they are.

This is where I disagree with you. We are all unique in our own way. If we were all exactly the same the world would be a dull and boring place.

^respectfully you have not read Søren Kierkegaard yet - not the happiest of reads but in the process of levelling

a wiki snapshot
    levelling - " a process of suppressing and removing individuality to such a point where an individual lacks the traits that make him unique. Without being an individual, life and one's very existence becomes void of any meaning. This philosophy is not the fully developed nihilism that was to come because Kierkegaard believed leveling created a life without meaning or value, but that life itself has inherent meaning and value, Modern nihilism, beginning with Nietzsche, would claim life has no inherent meaning period."
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    coffee-ending.jpg

This. Yep. Coffee is always around. Coffee is always tasty. It perks me up when I'm tired...comforts me when I'm cold...
    Coffee.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Nature really makes me happy. I love to sit outside, and listen to the sounds around me, hike to overlook the city, lay outside in a hammock and see the stars.

That, and going to the gun range.

^I enjoy all of the above - particularly the latter -nothing like firing off my AK-47 at the range to take off some steam - the thing however is those are fleeting moments of happiness not a lifestyle of happiness.
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Laughter. Being able to laugh, at situations, at yourself, at your children and pets. if youre not laughing youre not having FUN!

Nothing makes me happier than having one of those laughs that is hard to control, youre crying, snorting... i love it :happy:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    For me, at this point in my life, I am 46...... I realize something that makes me happy is knowing that phases, or stages of life are the way of life. Life changes, evolves....

I remember being in my youth and thought I would surf forever. I remember being an active Dad, and thought my children defined me. Then athletics, Running = Run for life! Distance Swimming- Amphibious for life! Triathlon- Tri for Life was my new mantra! haha on and on it went.

The thing was, I seemed to feel anxiety for some type of loss each time my interest would wear down or start to wain. Even feel guilty if a new interest started to take over.

Today, I am so happy to know, it's just another stage in the GREAT ADVENTURE. I don't worry for loss, nor do I pine for something new!

I'm down for the adventure.

The moment makes me happy!

sheesh, sorta deep.

Sweat Daily
    Todd

Brilliant points as well - I likewise am feeling a pang of anxiety because I met the ambitious goals I had set out to accomplish - repeatedly, and I was talking to my brother last night asking how his golf game was with my father - and my father was saying how proud he was of the accomplishments we both achieved over the past few years - but I made those sacrifices thinking it would pave the way towards feelings of eternal happiness - and now I'm not saying I'm depressed or anything, but I just don't feel I made as significant a contribution into myself as I thought I did.

But life is an adventure, a journey and it is important to reflect and appreciate that.

Well it would be quite alright for you to set new goals for yourself. It's great that you achieved those goals, but if they have left you unfulfilled, then you need to set new goals for yourself that will take you in a new direction.

^yeah... I just keep meeting goals, setting new ones, meeting goals and each time I think -this is finally it! Once I achieve purchasing this, or getting this lady to fall for me, or getting that promotion I'll be happy - once you get there you realize how... not meaningless, but how insignificant it is - particularly when reflecting on our lives at the level of the cosmos. Very and sadly insignificant.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband, my mom, my sister & brother, and my handful of close friends.
    I also enjoy owning a car I bought new & paid off almost 2 years early.
    I enjoy owning a home that I can decorate however I wish.
    I enjoy game night at our house, and entertaining guests in general.
    I enjoy going out to dinner to local restaurants and knowing the staff by name.
    I enjoy visiting the local farmer's markets on summer Saturdays.
    I enjoy a nice cup of coffee early in the mornings on weekends, when the house is quiet, the tv is off, and my pup snoozing in my lap.
    I love growing flowers around my house.
    I love taking the pups for a walk around my neighborhood.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Laughter. Being able to laugh, at situations, at yourself, at your children and pets. if youre not laughing youre not having FUN!

Nothing makes me happier than having one of those laughs that is hard to control, youre crying, snorting... i love it :happy:

nothing is as scary as the smile on a un-willful nihilist face. :wink:

I agree - laughter is the med for the heart - but once again it is fleeting.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'm happy pretty much every day and I don't have to try for it.

I know I'm lucky. I have a good job and a kind boss, nice place to live, enough disposable income that I never worry about paying my bills or buying groceries, no kids to care for, a wonderful boyfriend and incredible friends, a small but loving family, good physical and mental health...and I am thankful every day for all those privileges.

I am into savouring little things too: cute fluffy dogs on my way to work, reading a new book, a drink on my sunny balcony, ten minutes cuddling in bed before I have to get up, making plans for weekend trips, wearing my favourite shoes, whatever.

I'm not rich/super successful/incredibly well-liked or talented/really attractive but I find I don't need to be. I have worked to make my life the way I want it and i am just really grateful every day that I have all the things I have, both material and intangible.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree here - but once you've been in enough relationships you realize how everyone is just a blend of everyone else - no one is truly unique or special or significant - you have to willfully decide they are.

This is where I disagree with you. We are all unique in our own way. If we were all exactly the same the world would be a dull and boring place.

^respectfully you have not read Søren Kierkegaard yet - not the happiest of reads but in the process of levelling

a wiki snapshot
    levelling - " a process of suppressing and removing individuality to such a point where an individual lacks the traits that make him unique. Without being an individual, life and one's very existence becomes void of any meaning. This philosophy is not the fully developed nihilism that was to come because Kierkegaard believed leveling created a life without meaning or value, but that life itself has inherent meaning and value, Modern nihilism, beginning with Nietzsche, would claim life has no inherent meaning period."

You took too many philosophy classes. The great thing about philosophy is its just one man's opinion. Your life does not have to be defined by the opinion of others, no matter how many people agree with them, or how long their teachings have been around. Form your own opinions about life.

Seriously, that expression "life is what you make it" is really spot on. If you want to be special, if you want to be happy, go and find the thing that makes you special and/or makes you happy.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Looking for the good in people. Most people are doing their best and face their own struggles. We're too quick to judge, and too slow to just accept that everyone is trying their best.

Being responsible for my own happiness. No one can make me happy. That comes from my own efforts and choices.

Having a greater purpose than just getting and spending. It doesn't have to be religion, but feeling connected to a great cause makes my life bigger.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I dunno, I'm happy pretty much every day and I don't have to try for it.

I know I'm lucky. I have a good job and a kind boss, nice place to live, enough disposable income that I never worry about paying my bills or buying groceries, no kids to care for, a wonderful boyfriend and incredible friends, a small but loving family, good physical and mental health...and I am thankful every day for all those privileges.

I am into savouring little things too: cute fluffy dogs on my way to work, reading a new book, a drink on my sunny balcony, ten minutes cuddling in bed before I have to get up, making plans for weekend trips, wearing my favourite shoes, whatever.

I'm not rich/super successful/incredibly well-liked or talented/really attractive but I find I don't need to be. I have worked to make my life the way I want it and i am just really grateful every day that I have all the things I have, both material and intangible.

so happiness coincidences with your feelings of gratefulness - that certainly is something to be happy about.

and glad life is treating you well as well :flowerforyou:
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Looking for the good in people. Most people are doing their best and face their own struggles. We're too quick to judge, and too slow to just accept that everyone is trying their best.

Being responsible for my own happiness. No one can make me happy. That comes from my own efforts and choices.

Having a greater purpose than just getting and spending. It doesn't have to be religion, but feeling connected to a great cause makes my life bigger.

Be grateful. Life is a gift. Don't be a jerk. Be grateful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For me, at this point in my life, I am 46...... I realize something that makes me happy is knowing that phases, or stages of life are the way of life. Life changes, evolves....

I remember being in my youth and thought I would surf forever. I remember being an active Dad, and thought my children defined me. Then athletics, Running = Run for life! Distance Swimming- Amphibious for life! Triathlon- Tri for Life was my new mantra! haha on and on it went.

The thing was, I seemed to feel anxiety for some type of loss each time my interest would wear down or start to wain. Even feel guilty if a new interest started to take over.

Today, I am so happy to know, it's just another stage in the GREAT ADVENTURE. I don't worry for loss, nor do I pine for something new!

I'm down for the adventure.

The moment makes me happy!

sheesh, sorta deep.

Sweat Daily
    Todd

Brilliant points as well - I likewise am feeling a pang of anxiety because I met the ambitious goals I had set out to accomplish - repeatedly, and I was talking to my brother last night asking how his golf game was with my father - and my father was saying how proud he was of the accomplishments we both achieved over the past few years - but I made those sacrifices thinking it would pave the way towards feelings of eternal happiness - and now I'm not saying I'm depressed or anything, but I just don't feel I made as significant a contribution into myself as I thought I did.

But life is an adventure, a journey and it is important to reflect and appreciate that.

Well it would be quite alright for you to set new goals for yourself. It's great that you achieved those goals, but if they have left you unfulfilled, then you need to set new goals for yourself that will take you in a new direction.

^yeah... I just keep meeting goals, setting new ones, meeting goals and each time I think -this is finally it! Once I achieve purchasing this, or getting this lady to fall for me, or getting that promotion I'll be happy - once you get there you realize how... not meaningless, but how insignificant it is - particularly when reflecting on our lives at the level of the cosmos. Very and sadly insignificant.

You have all the wrong goals, my friend.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As I get older i find myself becoming more and more nostalgic, reminiscing about my childhood and my teens, early twenties, remembering all the fun memories and laughter I used to have.

Now in my thirties I enjoy time with family and have a few select good friends but I have definitely become someone who now enjoys time on my own away from people, just being me.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Nothing. **** you for wanting happiness as an adult. Live is a long, slow swim upstream through a river of **** on a hot day. All you can do is treasure the rare breaks when you get to float on your back for a while.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

^this I feel is what has made me the most happy in my personal life - serving others. That attitude I have seen in others, and I'm not overly fond of organized religion, but some of the most happy people I have encountered are poor preachers that have lived their entire lives sacrificing for the betterment of their communities.

@BrettPGH - yes that is a take on Crowleyism, and it runs parallel to my libertarian convictions on morality - it doesn't for me result in being happy though :sad:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Nothing. **** you for wanting happiness as an adult. Live is a long, slow swim upstream through a river of **** on a hot day. All you can do is treasure the rare breaks when you get to float on your back for a while.

Glad to see Charles Bukowski uses MFP :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

appreciate your rawness and respect it.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    As I get older i find myself becoming more and more nostalgic, reminiscing about my childhood and my teens, early twenties, remembering all the fun memories and laughter I used to have.

Now in my thirties I enjoy time with family and have a few select good friends but I have definitely become someone who now enjoys time on my own away from people, just being me.

^that process of finding yourself - truly finding yourself resulted in you being happy?

And I can relate here - the older you get the less and less amount of people truly get to see who you are - not that, that is a bad thing - just an observation .
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Nature really makes me happy. I love to sit outside, and listen to the sounds around me, hike to overlook the city, lay outside in a hammock and see the stars.

That, and going to the gun range.

^I enjoy all of the above - particularly the latter -nothing like firing off my AK-47 at the range to take off some steam - the thing however is those are fleeting moments of happiness not a lifestyle of happiness.

It may be fleeting for you, but I don't think it is for me

I am naturally a very happy person. I feel sad, and angry sometimes, but it never lasts- even in ****ty situations. Stress, however, can really screw with my happiness. So, for me, I feel like my lasting happiness as an adult stems from things that can relieve the one lasting negative emotion I feel (stress).