Zucchini anyone? How do you prepcare it?

DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
This will be my second time making it. I just want to use it as a simple side dish, no added ingredients aside from Olive Oil & seasoning. But how do I cook it so it's tender, but not a watery mess? I need advice on how to slice & cook it. Last time I tried it came out all mushy & gross :sad: Thanks!

Replies

• kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    I cut mine into about 1 inch slices...shake the chunks in a plastic baggie with a little olive oil and seasoning salt and grill it. It's my go-to veggie in the summer! A grill on med-high will give the outside a nice grill mark and cook it slightly without making it mushy.
  • Meneorama
    Meneorama Posts: 11 Member
    hi! I bought a zuchinni shreder... it cuts it as if it were pasta... i eat it raw.. with tuna.. and vegetables... it really works. :)
  • homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    This is how I made it last night:
    Take a couple zucchhini and cut them lengthwise, then in to slices.
    Toss them in a non-stick (I use ceramic) frying pan with some garlic salt and pepper (I used white pepper). I do NOT add any oil.
    Turn the heat on high and let them get brown on each side. They will start to burn to the bottom of the pan a little. At that point I add a little water – maybe ¼ cup or so – just enough to loosen the browned stuff from the bottom of the pan. Cover it and let the zucchini soften a little. Serve.
    1 cup = 18 calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    You can also steam it - I have one of the cheap Black and Decker vegetable steamers. Raw zucchini, cut into ~1" wedges takes about 15min to be cooked through and still have a bite - this includes the time for the water to heat up and start steaming. The time should be close for other non-microwave steaming methods.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I grill it. Slice it long-ways, brush it with a little olive oil or teriyaki sauce, and grill a couple of minutes on each side.

I add chunks to skewers, for the grill as well.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Last time I ate it like spaghetti. Made my own fresh sauce and heated that up with meatballs and did not heat the zuchinni. I have a Paderno slicer which makes the zuchinni spaghetti shaped and it. The sauce was warm enough to heat the zuchinni without me warming it. I also like it grilled or baked. You can add parmesan to it as well. Its yummy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    slice so they are round slices.

Add bacon grease to pain.

Saute with garlic salt and a little pepper.

bam done. and delicious.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    A little salt, pepper and olive oil, throw it on the grill. Yum.
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Use a julienne peeler and it turns the zucchini into noodles! It's amazing and tastes like spaghetti in marinara. Great texture and only brat up minimally. Just google zucchini noodles...
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Cut 2 zucchini and an onion in chunks. Saute' in 1 TBS olive oil. Add a TBS puree'd artichoke heart and a container of chicken stock. Simmer for 30 minutes. Blend to desired consistency. Yummy soup!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    I just cut it the long way and throw on some seasoning and grill it as is
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    I saute zuchini, yellow summer squash, and onion in coconut oil with italian seasoning. yummmm :)
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    I usually cut the zucchini down the middle, put it cut side down and slice it across to make about 1/4 inch pieces. Put a small amount of olive oil along with salt and pepper. Put them on a baking sheet and roast them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they are tender. I usually turn the slices over about half way through cooking. Depending on how much you are roasting the roasting time can vary. I also like to roast yellow summer squash, butternut squash, bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and garlic along with the zucchini. The vegetables turn out soft and sweet.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    I do it 2 ways. Either is De-licious!

1: Grill it - drizzle olive oil & sprinkle garlic salt on it prior

2: cut it up into 2 to 3 inch slices lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick, dip in egg white or eggbeaters or egg (depending on preference) coat with grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Wash skin well
    cut ends off
    cut to reasonable length pieces depending on size (we used to grow JUMBO ones over 18" long!)
    Cut into quarters lengthwise
    Brush with your favorite Olive Oil
    coat with a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and shredded parmesan

Bake or grill till slightly soft and nicely browned
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    I just cut it in slices (maybe about 1/2" thick), put a tiny bit of water in the dish (1 TBSP at most) and put it covered in the microwave for just a few minutes - really no more than three or four at most. Any more than that it will get mushy. It's better to undercook it and then pop it back in for a minute if desired.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Last time I ate it like spaghetti. Made my own fresh sauce and heated that up with meatballs and did not heat the zuchinni. I have a Paderno slicer which makes the zuchinni spaghetti shaped and it. The sauce was warm enough to heat the zuchinni without me warming it. I also like it grilled or baked. You can add parmesan to it as well. Its yummy.

Where did you get your Paderno slicer?
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Cut in cubes and stir fry in olive oil and garlic or with onions.:smile:
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I slice them lengthwise and put a bit of olive oil and garlic salt and grill them. Pretty much the only way I like it.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    I make long slices and put them on blisteringly hot ridged grill pan - turning once when they have lovely brown lines. Douse them with lemon juice, black pepper and shredded herbs.

Thinly sliced like spaghetti and served with hot fresh tomato sauce - or with chili flakes, garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.

Raw and shredded, grated or thinly sliced in a salad.

Steamed and then mashed with garlic, lemon juice and black pepper.

And they work well in things like a chile con carne, stirfry or baked in the oven with tomato sauce, a little cheese and smoked ham, or in wedges baked alongside wedges of red pepper, red onion, chicken pieces and a few sweet potatoes or new potatoes for a one dish meal. .