Thigh Gaps

Options
TasteofEnvy
TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
Okay, so I'm sure we all know what thigh gaps are....
i used to not care about having a thigh gap or getting one.
But my friend "Lynn" has been obsessing over getting one, and she basically believes if you don't have a thigh gap, you're fat. But when I was in high school and a healthy weight, I still didn't have one....
So I'm sorta scared, ya know? Like... what if I get back to my healthyweight/goal and I still don't have one?
I heard it's not possible for everyone to get a thigh gap, but everytime I look up people with my height and my goal weight, they have thigh gaps....

So, idk, I guess just talk about it here?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    But my friend "Lynn" has been obsessing over getting one, and she basically believes if you don't have a thigh gap, you're fat. But when I was in high school and a healthy weight, I still didn't have one....
    So I'm sorta scared, ya know? Like... what if I get back to my healthyweight/goal and I still don't have one?
    I heard it's not possible for everyone to get a thigh gap, but everytime I look up people with my height and my goal weight, they have thigh gaps....

You heard right.............thigh gaps have a lot to do with BONE structure. Not every woman has the BONE structure needed.

Who do you look up that has a thigh gap? A celebrity maybe? Thigh gaps are airbrushed in.....there are articles re: Old Navy airbrushing their models for thigh gaps.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Isn't "lynn" your friend with the eating disorder that you're jealous of? Why are you even listening to her? Her mind is warped by the eating disorder. She is not a person to listen to in regards to ANYTHING health/fitness/weight related.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Fwiw I have never noticed thigh gap. I know what it is. It simply is irrelevant...neither attractive nor unattractive.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    troll.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Who do you look up that has a thigh gap? A celebrity maybe? Thigh gaps are airbrushed in.....there are articles re: Old Navy airbrushing their models for thigh gaps.

THIS. Google "photoshop thigh gap" to find lots of incidences of artificial thigh gap. Beyonce is the subject of recent controversy about the differences between her real thighs at concerts and the photoshopped gaps in pictures.

Most people cannot have a thigh gap naturally. Some can have surgery to create it. It's basically a bogus concept.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Talking about gaps is like talking about earlobes.

Who friggin cares, it's genetic anyway? The fact that peeps obsess over this makes me hate humans.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my sister has a thigh gap let me ask her how she got it

she says its just natural boo
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Personally I think thigh gaps are horrible to look at. I've not seen a woman with one that didn't look ill.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Personally I think thigh gaps are horrible to look at. I've not seen a woman with one that didn't look ill.

good job
    :noway:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Your friend Lynn - the same one that purges after eating, and that you're oddly jealous of, right?

I think you need to focus less on what this person thinks and their goals and more on what you want for yourself, your goals and YOUR happiness.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to close mine by increasing the size of my thigh muscles, so people won't think i look sick

...not.
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lol really though why do people obsess so much about having a space of air in a certain spot ? Just aim for healthy and happy (: I eat A TON of food (sometimes 3000 calories plus) and I have a small thigh gap but no one gives a **** about it because it's just a gap of air and it doesn't matter. All that matters is that your body functions properly, you're healthy, and energetic enough to do the things that make you happy. Enjoy life while it's hear instead of obsessing about very shallow things such as your looks (: people are going to love you regardless of having a thigh gap or not (unless they're not real friends)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap comes from how wide set your hip joints are. Wider pelvis = more likely to have a thigh gap. Narrow pelvis = never going to have one without starving yourself to the point that your thigh muscles are wasting away.

Also your friend is talking crap, don't listen to her. Fat is a body fat percentage above 30% or so... some women will have a thigh gap even at that body fat percentage (due to having a really wide pelvis), others won't have one even at 18% body fat (the low end of the healthy range). Some young women have some really silly definitions of what counts as "fat" and what doesn't....... fat means your body has more fat (adipose tissue) than it should have. The healthy range for women is 18-28% - more than this means you're carrying too much fat. 35%+ in women is obese. If someone's body does not have too much fat on it, they're not fat, no matter whether they have a thigh gap or not.
  • PattyannB
    PattyannB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Although MOST people do not have a thigh gap, I myself have always wanted one. Ive always had very large legs. Even at my skinniest-110 lbs wearing a size double zero, I never had one. Still, I cant help but want it. I personally think that on MOST women, they look really sexy. So, now that Im back into my routine-Im gonna try for one! lol
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe your pants just aren't tight enough?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Although MOST people do not have a thigh gap, I myself have always wanted one. Ive always had very large legs. Even at my skinniest-110 lbs wearing a size double zero, I never had one. Still, I cant help but want it. I personally think that on MOST women, they look really sexy. So, now that Im back into my routine-Im gonna try for one! lol

It appears you didn't read the part about genetics & bone structure.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    But my friend "Lynn" has been obsessing over getting one, and she basically believes if you don't have a thigh gap, you're fat.

Just my two cents here, but if "Lynn" is obsessing that much and she holds that belief, then obtaining a thigh gap isn't likely going to be the nirvana she thinks it is. I'm going to guess she's still not going to like her body much.

Fix the inside first.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

My sexy, sexy thighs wouldn't know what a thigh gap was if you read them the definition out of a dictionary. I've been under 18% body fat too.

You know what attributes men mention when they describe my physical attractiveness? My butt and legs.