Is riding a bicycle exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I only count the time I spent pedaling. Coasting downhill or around town does not burn much. :happy:
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I lost 23 lbs in 101 days and the major thing I am doing is biking on an average of 5 days a week and cutting my calories.

Definitely exercise. The key is to do it where you are laboring a little for the greatest benefit. If your breathing is not enhanced due to the effort then you need to change gears and get your "rear into gear".
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The sexiest guys out there are cyclists who lift.
    Just my opinion.

:love:
    Listen to this woman!! :wink:

OP - there are quite a few free apps for your phone to allow you to track distance/time/speed and give a calorie burn estimate.
    Beware that cycling is addictive, I started out with a few charity rides and now training for a 125 mile event.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Not only is it exercise, it's the BEST exercise :)

imo.gif

[like!] This!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Biking and lifting my favorite forms of exercise!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, I ride my bike everyday back and forth to the high school track. I count it as exercise. Great for your legs. Keep on riding---enjoy.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to be a spin instructor. I would burn about 400 calories in 45 mins to and hour in class. I could only imagine you'd burn more on an outside bike. Biking is fun and not so hard on the joints. Just watch out for the crazy cars outside on the road.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Not only is it exercise, it's the BEST exercise :)

imo.gif

^^^^ Yes definitely this!! :drinker:

Also you should head over to - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/361-bicycling-road-and-mountain and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3781-century-plus-cycling

We have our own little club on here, there are challenges, banter and we are a lovely welcoming bunch! :flowerforyou:

Edited just to note that I ride pretty hard and I hit about 1000cals an hour! MFP certainly works for me! :drinker:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I commute to work by bike and according to my HRM I burn around 280 on the way, 260 on the way home (more incline on the way). It's my main form of cardio.