How do I even start exercising?

13»

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    I'm always amazed that I don't hear biking mentioned more often in this kind of thread. Biking is what I did even at my heaviest, though back then I biked much less back then and took it hella slow because I was getting really short of breath and didn't realize how much of that was from something besides extra weight. So much for outgrowing that problem. It's decent on your knees as long as you remember to shift gears for hills and inclines.

Edit: there are some online guides that you can look at to figure out what shoes are good based on your shoe wear pattern if a specialty store isn't in the budget. Finish Line and other 'budget' places aren't evil if you already know what you need. I've got an older pair of Sauconys and they were around $45 on sale from one of those places if I remember right.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    I started with five minutes in the elliptical and 4 years later it sort of escalated into a Full Ironman (over 100 lbs lost from a beginning 230 lbs at 5'4").
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Exercise is movement... Just get to moving beyond what you are doing and gradually increase as you are able... One step at a time. Walking is a good place to start. Pick up a few things that are a little heavier than you otherwise would... Gradually increase your strength... Exercise does not have to be something you don't enjoy... Engage in movement and lifting type activities that you enjoy doing... Make a game out of it. You will maintain something you enjoy far longer than the things you don't enjoy.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Fitness Blender has a lot of really awesome home beginner workout videos. I first started exercising using their videos and lost 10 lbs within the first month. I like using Fitness Blender because they do not use lame workout music or fake smile the whole damn time haha :) www.fitnessblender.com

Also, you do not necessarily need sneakers to work out at home. I usually workout barefoot/with socks and it's fine :)