i dont want to lie

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I'm not going to eat something I never give the reason. I just say no thanks. If they push it I just keep saying no thanks. No further explanation. I've never had anyone ask more than a couple of times.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    No, thank you.

I have had to resort to telling people I have diabetes. That works, because I have to control what goes in my mouth, how much, and when. Just like when I'm losing weight! But, it also means I CAN have treats, I just have to budget for them.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yep, just "no thanks, I'm good". Pretty soon it becomes awkward and they look like the weird one (if they keep pushing it....)
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the problem with my best friend. Every time we are together she wants to share whatever she has with me, which is sweet of her but I am learning to not eat when I am not hungry and to make healthier decision when I am. Of course, I still eat "junk" when I have a large desire for it and it fits in my calories but that is off the point. She will keep offering and I decline. It starts out very polite and gets a little firmer until just short of "shut up I don't want to eat 300 calories I don't need" she realizes that she should just move on. I think it is a combination of her wanting to be nice and share and her being jealous that I said I was going to do this and I am while she said she was going to do this and she tried for ONE day.

Don't lie, it only causes more problems than it is worth but be firm and don't back down. And as someone else said above, in the end, you don't even have to give them a reason. It is your body and you don't have to justify why you don't want to put something into it. Thank them for the offer and move on to the next subject.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This honestly never happens to me. Maybe it's because I don't make a fuss out of food, or maybe it's the company I keep, or who knows what, but I simply say "no thank you" and that's it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I say "sorry, but I'm cutting right now" and make them admire my delts.
  • Cjmi427
    Cjmi427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I say, "I really don't have much of a sweet tooth." But that's actually true, cake and ice cream are ok and sometimes I want it, but it's usually not worth it to me.
    Plus, I can't tolerate dairy like I used to, so sometimes if it's family or close friends, I'll say, "I don't want to feel like crap later."
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Try this nonconfrontational statement, "not right now, perhaps I'll have it later"; if they push, I just put it aside for later and get rid of it. What does it matter if I throw it away or if I ate it and later flushed it away. They got their need to give to me met and I got my need to make my own choices without either of us losing to the other. Once I'm not in the moment, in private, I have gently told the person "I need your help to continue to make healthy choices for now. Please trust that I have educated myself well on what I should or should not eat at any given time and accept when I say no thank you. If you really want to help, please have fresh fruit next time so I can eat that with you. This is really hard for me and it would mean the world to have your support." It has really helped people be there for me and some even find healthy low calorie foods that they include the next time for everyone to choose if they'd like.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No thank you". No is enough. No reason needed. But, people don't try to pressure me to eat things. Just keep saying no.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a friend of mine that is always trying to feed me. Saying "I NEED TO EAT" because I used to eat like he did, what ever he and I saw, we would destroy. Now, I eat healthy and he keeps on eating the not-so-healthy stuff. I just dont think he really gets it.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    "No thanks, ate already."
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I say "no thank you." If the person really insisted, I would take the cake, break it up with my fork to look like I'm eating it, then dispose of it discreetly. A piece of cake is just not worth the confrontation or the risk of hurting a well-meaning person's feelings/ straining a relationship to me. It's a nice gesture; I mean, they're offering me cake, not a rabid badger. But I've never had anyone make a big deal about it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Just say No Thanks. End of conversation.

If they force the cake on you, like just bring it to you without asking you first if you wanted any.. accept it, then wait until they leave then throw it away.

or option 3 - plan a few bites of cake into your daily calories. You don't have to eat a ton of it. Just a taste is often enough. Unless that sugar is a diet trigger for you, then just ditch it quietly.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I think if someone gets pushy I'll start saying I'm living the grossatarian lifestyle. If they're fool enough to ask what that is, I'll start telling them about all the gross things in their food.

Don't click unless you really don't want to be hungry. Ever. Again.

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-disgusting-ingredients-that-arent-advertised-in-food-2012-3?op=1#ixzz1qYZOG1QU

This made me laugh. And I didn't go read it. LOL :happy:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to give someone a reason. Just say no thank you.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think if someone gets pushy I'll start saying I'm living the grossatarian lifestyle. If they're fool enough to ask what that is, I'll start telling them about all the gross things in their food.

Don't click unless you really don't want to be hungry. Ever. Again.

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-disgusting-ingredients-that-arent-advertised-in-food-2012-3?op=1#ixzz1qYZOG1QU

This made me laugh. And I didn't go read it. LOL :happy:

I totally read it and it didn't bother me that much. The bug stuff I already knew and the chocolate is so worth the rat hair.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    every time i say i don't want something such as cake, it always seems to cause a fuss; "its just some cake, go on go on" "its not going to hurt you``' blah blah blah, so ive found the best way to do this is to say i have an allergy so its ends full stop and they realise there is no way i can have that food, so i say im lactose intolerant, but that doesnt cover all the unhealthy foods in the world and i eat a 500g pot of yoghurt a day so i don't know what to do. how do you cope with people pressurising you to eat something when you dont want to
    Why not a simple. No thankyou? Why make it so complicated?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    No, thank you.

I have had to resort to telling people I have diabetes. That works, because I have to control what goes in my mouth, how much, and when. Just like when I'm losing weight! But, it also means I CAN have treats, I just have to budget for them.

I do have diabetes. My favorite is "No, thank you. I really don't need to be spiking my blood sugars." I did have a very small piece of birthday cake the other day but it was a fourth of the size of everyone else's piece.
  • CStowell1654
    CStowell1654 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do sympathise because my nan is the same she will keep asking and asking and asking if she can give you cake, biscuits, chocolate, more cake- you name it! It almost feels rude to keep saying no thank you, no really I'm fine thank you.. Etc. And it's easier to just say 'okay but just a small one please'. And although it is true that you don't need to explain your choice about food or your goals with others but because we are very close I took her aside and just explained that I am really trying to get in shape which means moderating what I eat so by all means offer but if I decline please don't push me on it- trust me I won't go hungry! But with colleagues or people who you arnt as close with that may not be appropriate. As others have said it may just be best to say 'no thank you' and don't entertain the conversation any longer- change the subject and they should respect that! Good luck!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    grow a pair and just say you don't want it. Or eat it and adjust the rest of the foods you eat that day so it fits within your macros.