i dont want to lie

Options

Replies

• puppies14
    puppies14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Say no thanks. And then remind yourself you're doing this for you. No one has the right to make you feel guilty or pressure you into eating, and you are not responsible for making other people feel better about what they eat.

Your long term health and happiness is worth a moment or two of social awkwardness.

Personally, I'm not into lying to get out of eating something- I think you need to own your choices and stand up for yourself. What you tell the world, you are subconsciously telling yourself. If you're not proud of what you're doing, why do it?
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Quote disappeared but why not enjoy the cake and reduce intake appropriately? I struggle to understand the outrage (meant in a nice way)...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I also eat 3 meals and a snack a day, so "I just ate" is never a lie.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My co-workers do the same thing, not nearly as bad as they used to. I actually had a small rant about it two three weeks ago due to the fact that I went out to lunch with co-workers and three people decided to spend the whole lunch making fun of me because I was adding the calories to my phone and not eating the garlic bread and other appetizers. Have had a guy leave his german chocolate birthday cake on my desk after i asked him several times to repeatedly move it. I took it into the break room and he brought it back to my desk and i asked him nicely one more time to move the cake because i didnt want any. He laughed thinking it was funny, so i pushed the whole cake off the side of my desk into the trash can. He went and whined to my boss and my boss told him he deserved it.

Dealing with a few a**holes at work is a lot easier then dealing with the fat guy in front of the mirror is what i realized.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If someone insists on attempting to give me food after I have said no, then THEY are the ones being rude.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If I'm not going to eat something I never give the reason. I just say no thanks. If they push it I just keep saying no thanks. No further explanation. I've never had anyone ask more than a couple of times.

This. Normally when I say "no" a few times, they just drop it.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just try and remember people pushing food is usually more about them then you.

I worked with a woman years ago who had some sort of ED. She loved to lecture people about food. I said no to a donut once and she spent the next hour tryign to get me to eat one. Later when I commented to a co-worker they laughed...she couldn't lecture me about it if I didn't eat it.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    first answer, as others have said, should be "no thank you, im not hungry"

if they keep pushing then it moves up to *kitten* off. people gotta learn no means no
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If i were in that situation, I would say "no" once or twice, but if they continued to insist, I'd tell them it would be a waste of food. If they still offered, I'd accept it ppolitely, find the nearest trash can, and blatently drop it into the trash. If they saw me throw it out (which I hoped they did), I'd remind them that I said it would be a waste of food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Quote disappeared but why not enjoy the cake and reduce intake appropriately? I struggle to understand the outrage (meant in a nice way)...

For me it depends. If it's one of the cakes that my boss makes then I have a slice because it's delicious and worth every calorie. If it's from the publix bakery then it's not usually worth the calories to me.

One of the first things I learned when I started counting calories was not to eat sub-par food just because it's there. Because it's always there. Our break room at work has treats on the table at least 3 days per week. For some I make room. For others not.

Not sure that really applies to OP, because she seems to be saying that cake is inherently unhealthy and that she never wants to eat it. But that's my take.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Here's the way I see it.. much like most I guess. Anyway...
    If it's a work thing, and these people are work colleagues you see all the time, you could be proactive about it. Approach them before the food is in the office, tell them you working on your healthy lifestyle. Bring it up in conversation beforehand, especially if you know that being asked if you want cake or cookies or whatever is a big struggle point for you.

When you are honest with people about your efforts, they tend to have more respect. They will then know that next time they ask and you say no, it's not an attempt to be polite or whatever, that you are doing it for a real reason.

Not that it's not a real reason, but with my own life... People have tried to insist these things on me because they assume that my refusal of the treat is out of a fear of judgment regarding the fact that I am overweight. That is, that I must be saying no because I don't want to look like a "fatty." and therefore, they insist in their way to say, no really, it's okay, you can have a treat, we won't judge you. Sometimes, even with the fact that I am obviously fat, if I say in that moment "Well, I'm trying to count my calories" they'll say something about wiggle room...

But the reality of it is, unless you really don't have the room for it, there's no reason to refuse if you want it. If you don't want it, just say a firm no. No excuses, and certainly don't claim allergies or whatever because next thing you know, your boss will be at your desk "I heard that you have food allergies and I was wondering what they are so we can make sure the office stays safe!" or you'll have friends always watching what you eat to make sure you won't "die." Food allergies are no joke, and yes people take them seriously, but you don't want them to take it too far. Otherwise, if you want the cake or whatever, just ask for the nutrition facts label. If it's homemade, ask the brands/ingredients/recipe name. Have a serving size. When you do things like this, people do notice, but it sometimes makes them reconsider their own slice of cake, and can ultimately lead to fewer temptations as the consciousness of the foods spreads to those around you, and people make better choices overall as to what kind of snack they should have today.

Good luck!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My excuse sometimes is that I brought something from home or that I had cake last night and I don't feel like having some today. They don't need to know whether or not I really did bring it or had the night before. Most of the time it works for me. As for ice cream, my coworkers all know that I can't have it because I really am lactose intolerant and when our reps bring in to the office they won't tell me about it. I don't know the layout of your office, but at mine we have 2 kitchens and when I know there is sweets or snacks and they don't fit in my calories then I completely avoid those floors and rooms so I can tell them I will grab some later and just not go back.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just cheerfully say "no, thanks!". People rarely ask twice, and if they do they get the same answer. Make it boring by not making a big deal of it.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Eat the cake Anna Mae!

Sorry that was just WRONG! But I literally cannot help myself sometimes.

Look you shouldn’t have to make excuses, just say no. Maybe if you feel comfortable enough to put it out there tell them that you are counting cals, or watching what you eat, whatever; but you don’t owe anybody an explanation. If they keep on get a little snarky with them. On the other hand if you do want some cake don’t make yourself feel guilty, just have a small piece and let yourself enjoy it. We all deserve a little treat from time to time. And remember if your logging it and you stay within your macros, well then no harm no foul.
    Enjoy life don’t stress over the small stuff, and remember, it’s all small stuff.

6a00d8341c5e0053ef01a5116aaa67970c-pi
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've found the "broken record" approach works best. Just be polite, smile, and say "no thank you". If they persist, just keep saying it, "no, really, thank you though", "nah, no thanks", "no, I'm ok, thank you"... You don't need to make up a response, or justify yourself. Just be polite but firm. Eventually they'll get it.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Tell them your diet is ordered by a doctor if they ask why you can say cholesterol levels or blood pressure if your not over weight!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Just say that eating "x" food item is against your religion.

If they ask you what religion.

Say Jedi.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I find the pushy ones don't want you to eat the cake, they want your consent to eat it themselves . If everyone's eating cake, it makes it ok.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Funny. I just say "No, thank you".

No need to justify - you were offered something which you decline. It's your prerogative.

Any request for explanation would be met by shrugging shoulders. There are very few things I need to justify to people.