Starting out hiking

Options
2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I routinely hike and/or run long distances (5-10 miles) on familiar trails in the hills. The only thing I need is sunscreen (which I put on beforehand so I don't have to haul it along) and my hat. I drink tons of water the night before I leave and have plenty when I get back. I'll bring water with me only if it's hot that day. Unless my hike is going to be more than 10 miles, I don't like to carry a bunch of extra crap along unless I'm in an area I'm unfamiliar with and it will be extra strenuous.

Some of the suggestions here seem more appropriate for longer distance backpacking trips, not a simple 6 miler - for example, the two pairs of wool socks seems like overkill to me - but you should definitely take anything that you think you may need or want. It's also a good idea to let someone know where and when you'll be going, especially if it's an unfamiliar trail.

I recently did a 21 mile day hike with my husband, and we took his camelback full of water, lunch, and light jackets. The hike was NOT supposed to be 21 miles, but our defective map left out a 7 mile section connecting the two main trails, so we kinda ran out of light getting out of the wilderness. It would have been handy to have had flashlights, since it was dark for the last couple of miles, but we made it alright and had a ton of fun. That was the first time something like that had happened to us (I've been doing this kind of thing for over 20 years) but the most important thing to remember is to stay calm, adapt to the situation, and keep a sense of humor.

Enjoy your hike. You'll do great!
  • arf24_1
    arf24_1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't forget bug spray.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My usual hikes are 3.5 miles, but it's not unusual for me to do a 6-10 mile hike. On my 3.5 mile trail runs, I take a bottle of water, if that.
    I put on sunscreen and bug spray beforehand.

On a few hour hike, I take a light day pack with an extra outer layer if the weather looks iffy, a meal/snack, bear spray, a pocket knife, small first aid kit, sunscreen, bug spray, lip balm, my camera, and a lighter. I also carry extra water and if I'll be near a stream, I take my microfilter water bottle so I don't have to pack much of that. I've never needed extra socks since it's dry around here, but they are light so I guess it isn't a bad idea at all!

Keep in mind that 6 miles to one person is a short run while to another, it may be an all day hike.

I've not had problems on a hike, but I have been stuck in the mud 40 miles from the nearest town with no cell coverage while on a back roads drive. The reason I don't mention taking a cell phone is because it's pretty much futile half the places where I live. So that being said, I always prepare myself for the idea that I might have to spend the night somewhere.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Camera!