Anytime Fitness Membership

Options
2»

Replies

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i had a membership at an Anytime fitness gym. the owners were very genuine people. they knew most of us by first name. they were very understanding when i had to cancel my membership. i did have to pay a nominal fee...that is there policy and i wasnt about to argue about it.
  • piperzixc
    piperzixc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I really need some help here. I enrolled at an Anything fitness and it’s been a month a half now but I really don’t like it there and asked for my membership to be canceled. The manager told me h this “ Like I've previously stated you will need to come in and sign off on the cancellation and pay the remaining amount owed ($825.45)“

At this point I am confused because I didn’t owe them anything and why should my cancellation fees be at that amount?

Please help me understand.

Thanks
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    piperzixc wrote: »
    Hi guys, I really need some help here. I enrolled at an Anything fitness and it’s been a month a half now but I really don’t like it there and asked for my membership to be canceled. The manager told me h this “ Like I've previously stated you will need to come in and sign off on the cancellation and pay the remaining amount owed ($825.45)“

At this point I am confused because I didn’t owe them anything and why should my cancellation fees be at that amount?

Please help me understand.

Thanks

Did you sign a one-year contract when signing up? That price seems steep for Anytime Fitness, though.
    Call them and ask them to be detailed in regards to how they are coming up with that amount.
    My (wild) guess is that you did sign up for a one-year membership so you'd have to pay off all the remaining months, and then they might have an early cancellation fee on top of that.
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    tell them your moving otherwise they wont let you cancel for sure. even if you say that they might not but its your best bet. you'll probably be charged a cancellation fee

I'm not sure if moving would work. They'd probably want to know where and say there's one nearby.

Probably a fee for the cancelation.

Besides the fact that it's lying.....
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I posted before even reading the whole feed because I was so disturbed after reading just a few comments. Glad there's at least one other person that tries to do the right thing, stand by commitments, and not screw people over.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    My hubs and I had an Anytime Fitness contract for 2 years... we did use it fairly consistently, even though it was mostly just me using it. Actual calendar length of time we were members: about 3 years. AF let us pause the membership and not pay for several months, twice, for both of my pregnancies (toward the end) and a month after! The owners of mine are very accommodating. My work schedule changed, and with two babies, it became impossible to go and after 3 months of paying and not going at all, I went in, asked to cancel, as we had satisfied our contract length, and I signed a form. No biggie! Not even a cancellation fee. He said come back anytime, and they’ll honor our previous rate! I think the difference is to fulfill your commitments people. And try not to overcommit. If you do, well, then that’s where you face difficulties. When you’re trying to break a contract.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    I posted before even reading the whole feed because I was so disturbed after reading just a few comments. Glad there's at least one other person that tries to do the right thing, stand by commitments, and not screw people over.

This is nonsense. Most chain gyms impose ridiculous rules which make it almost impossible to cancel, even if you aren't subject to a long term contract. Then when people do actually follow the rules on canceling the gyms "accidentally" continue to charge people. It's so common that it has become a running joke.

I'm not saying that people should lie, but gyms do not deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Also, just because something is written in a contract doesn't make it enforceable.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason AF charges pretty low fees will be because you are tied in for a certain length of time.

As for the comment above that something written in a contract may not be enforceable - well, maybe not but certainly in the UK a basic contract to pay £x per month for x months is totally enforceable assuming the gym remains open and useable during that period.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The Anytime Fitness near my house is only open until 10pm. They should change their name to Sometime Fitness or Occasional Fitness.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Hope I don't struggle to cancel. I am fed up that equipment breaks down and they never replace it.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ortega1990 wrote: »
    Wow... people shouldn't be afraid to try to cancel their gym membership! You are the customer and the customer is always right. There is something wrong when companies do the hard sell and then penalize the customer for not being happy. It makes me crazy. :noway:

A contract is binding and you're only a customer until you cancel. Gyms aren't about making people healthy, they are about making money.
  • allother94
    edited February 2020
    Options
    If all else fails, you can block them from charging you with your bank and dare them to sue you when they call. You can keep going to the gym until they cancel your membership. Once they cancel your membership, they have broken the contract and can only collect for the time before the cancelation in court. Hardly worth for them.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    If all else fails, you can block them from charging you with your bank and dare them to sue you when they call. You can keep going to the gym until they cancel your membership. Once they cancel your membership, they have broken the contract and can only collect for the time before the cancelation in court. Hardly worth for them.

Rubbish. As soon as you stop paying you are the one who has broken the terms of the contract. I agree it is unlikely they are going to go to court about it, but the option is there for a bloody-minded gym owner. Also, if there is a daily rate (which some gyms have, though not AF in my experience) they might be within their rights to charge you the even higher daily rate for every day you attend the gym after stopping your monthly payment, were you to follow this idea.
  • allother94
    edited February 2020
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »

Rubbish. As soon as you stop paying you are the one who has broken the terms of the contract. I agree it is unlikely they are going to go to court about it, but the option is there for a bloody-minded gym owner. Also, if there is a daily rate (which some gyms have, though not AF in my experience) they might be within their rights to charge you the even higher daily rate for every day you attend the gym after stopping your monthly payment, were you to follow this idea.

They can hold you to a contract unless they violate the terms. Yes, not paying means you violated the terms and they can sue you. However, they cannot sue you if they also break the terms.

Regardless, I’ve done this and it works. Does not harm your credit. They can only sue you for the amount you owe under the terms of the contract, which you are out of pocket for anyway. But you should only do this if all else fails.

———————————————————————————————————————————————

As always, please make sure to hit the disagree button if you disagree with anything I’ve ever said. Don’t listen to those who think disagree clicks without an explanation is for losers. We both know it’s for winners.