Anytime Fitness Membership

Options
rosy_08
rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
Has anyone cancelled a membership with AF before? I'm trying to find out how difficult it will be, and if it's even worth it. I signed up for a 2 yr membership (foolishly) at an AF that was opening near my home at the end of last year. The reason I want to cancel is because I don't really go anymore and the fitness center at my apartment complex finally got renovated and new (aka working) equipment. With an upcoming wedding, every little bit we can save helps so paying for 2 gym memberships not being used is a waste of money.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    tell them your moving otherwise they wont let you cancel for sure. even if you say that they might not but its your best bet. you'll probably be charged a cancellation fee
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    tell them your moving otherwise they wont let you cancel for sure. even if you say that they might not but its your best bet. you'll probably be charged a cancellation fee

I'm not sure if moving would work. They'd probably want to know where and say there's one nearby.

Probably a fee for the cancelation.
  • rosy_08
    Options
    I think they ask for proof if you're moving, and the closest has to be more than 20 mi. away?
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I cancelled mine two weeks ago. After about a month of being scared to contact them because online I had seen where so many found it impossible to cancel...I simply called and asked to cancel. The lady asked me why and I was very honest with her, I told her I do better in group settings (recently lost 25ish pounds during a free membership to group fitness through work). She told me she was sad to see me go but helped me through the cancellation process. There was a $50 cancellation fee. But my monthly membership fee was pending in my account so she used that towards my cancellation fee.

I think each owner is different but you should just give them a call...they might surprise you.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wow... people shouldn't be afraid to try to cancel their gym membership! You are the customer and the customer is always right. There is something wrong when companies do the hard sell and then penalize the customer for not being happy. It makes me crazy. :noway:
  • rosy_08
    Options
    I cancelled mine two weeks ago. After about a month of being scared to contact them because online I had seen where so many found it impossible to cancel...I simply called and asked to cancel. The lady asked me why and I was very honest with her, I told her I do better in group settings (recently lost 25ish pounds during a free membership to group fitness through work). She told me she was sad to see me go but helped me through the cancellation process. There was a $50 cancellation fee. But my monthly membership fee was pending in my account so she used that towards my cancellation fee.

I think each owner is different but you should just give them a call...they might surprise you.

That's exactly why I hadn't called yet! Too many horror stories. :noway: The owner at my gym is really nice so hopefully it'll be painless.

Also @ ortega1990, it really is a terrible practice.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I had a year contract, ended up moving 90 miles away about 8-months into the membership.

I tried to cancel, and got a complete run around from the company. Had to call every day for a week before they would return my call, asked to send proof of new address, "lost" the document I sent them, etc, etc. Finally I just gave up. Thankfully, eating the $35/month for the next few months wasn't a huge financial burden for me, but it still totally sucked.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think they ask for proof if you're moving, and the closest has to be more than 20 mi. away?

They will likely request documentation of your new address, like a utility bill with your name and that address on it.
  • rosy_08
    Options
    I called the gym owner today and was told I couldn't cancel. She did start saying something about offering personal training...maybe a free session or deep discount? I'm going in to talk later this week. Something free would be nice. :wink:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I called the gym owner today and was told I couldn't cancel. She did start saying something about offering personal training...maybe a free session or deep discount? I'm going in to talk later this week. Something free would be nice. :wink:

Don't they offer a free session when you join? It doesn't sound like she is actually giving you anything additional. Do you have the contract you signed when you joined the gym? That should have a written cancellation policy.

Anytime Fitness' website says this about cancelling a membership:

"As each club is independently owned and operated, and each state has different cancellation policies, please review your Membership Agreement prior to contacting your home club. Your specific cancellation policy will be outlined on that agreement.
    To cancel your membership:
    Contact your home club directly. Use the Club Locator to find their contact information."
  • rosy_08
    Options

Don't they offer a free session when you join? It doesn't sound like she is actually giving you anything additional. Do you have the contract you signed when you joined the gym? That should have a written cancellation policy.

Anytime Fitness' website says this about cancelling a membership:

"As each club is independently owned and operated, and each state has different cancellation policies, please review your Membership Agreement prior to contacting your home club. Your specific cancellation policy will be outlined on that agreement.
    To cancel your membership:
    Contact your home club directly. Use the Club Locator to find their contact information."

We did get our free initial consultation with a PT. I didn't see any real cancellation policy on the contract, other than for auto renewal (which wouldn't be for another year and a half) and for cases where you are medically unable to use the facilities or have moved away and a gym isn't close by.

When we first signed up, we initially just wanted a 7 day pass but the gym wasn't finished yet. Then we ended up signing the contract because we thought we'd actually go and because the machines at our apt complex were mostly broken (have since been replaced with new equipment). So foolish. :frown:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

And there goes your problem. You wanted to cancel, now they dangle something FREE you started wavering.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow... people shouldn't be afraid to try to cancel their gym membership! You are the customer and the customer is always right. There is something wrong when companies do the hard sell and then penalize the customer for not being happy. It makes me crazy. :noway:

Wow, reading this makes me want to scream. No, the customer is NOT ALWAYS right. This is how we ended up being self-entitled *kitten* around here. You signed a contract and commited to pay a certain amount per month for a certain amount of time. End of story. If the owner is a nice person, they can let you out of that contract but they don't have to. Especially since the only reason you are wanting to cancel is because you now have another option. After all, it really isn't their fault that you didn't frequent the gym enough to make it worth your financial investment.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Wow, reading this makes me want to scream. No, the customer is NOT ALWAYS right. This is how we ended up being self-entitled *kitten* around here. You signed a contract and commited to pay a certain amount per month for a certain amount of time. End of story. If the owner is a nice person, they can let you out of that contract but they don't have to. Especially since the only reason you are wanting to cancel is because you now have another option. After all, it really isn't their fault that you didn't frequent the gym enough to make it worth your financial investment.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about the customer is always right. In this case, the customer is not right.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    OP, you might as well start taking advantage of the gym since you are gonna be paying for it anyway :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The customer is generally wrong, most of the time.

*I have years of experience to fall back on to make that statement.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As said above, refer to your contract. If you're locked in for a certain time period - there's no way out of it unless there's an exception. Exceptions are usually moving to a residence more than X miles away from the facility, hardship, or military leave. Regardless, they will probably still require 30-60 days notice of termination. Mostly yearly contracts are auto-renewing, but you can see that in your contract.

They also deal with a 3rd party billing company, and termination letters should be in writing and have confirmation of delivery.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most gyms would say, "Screw the customer, the CONTRACT is always right." And they'd have the law on their side.

If they refunded everyone who joins and doesn't go, gyms would probably cost three (ten?) times as much for the go-ers. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP, you might as well start taking advantage of the gym since you are gonna be paying for it anyway :)

yeah, seriously. I find it out that there isn't an out clause. I'd negotiate for an out that made fiscal sense.
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm appalled at how many people think it's okay just to lie about why you want to cancel. "Tell them you're moving" when you're not? Own up to the reasons. It's called being an ADULT. And, you did sign a contract -- a LEGAL COMMITMENT. If you no longer want to go to that gym, either wait until your contract is up or pay the cancellation fee that you also agreed to pay should you opt out early when you signed the contract.