What do you think about when you Run?

Options
TMattP
TMattP Posts: 49 Member
Hello.

Odd question I guess, but I'm primarily a cyclist who has taken up running for the extra fitness. When I cycle I feel as If I'm constantly thinking about things. I'm reading the road and the traffic etc. Keeping an eye out for obstacles or where the best line is.

However, I ran 10k last night and my mind was all over the place. I suddenly realised that I'd gotten to half way and couldn't remember how I'd got there. It was odd but pleasant. I guess I just zoned out.

Anyone else come across this phenomenon? Or should I be concentrating on something?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just zone and then realize half my run was over! Instead, I keep looking at the mileage on the treadmill. If I run outside, I don't think about much other than how much better I'll feel once I'm done running. LOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I zone out a bit on a good run. I try to strike a balance between being aware of my surroundings and zoning out enough that my legs just kind of take me where I'm going and I don't keep thinking about how far I've gone or how far I still have to go. I have found that if I try to concentrate on my actual running, I fixate and then worry about what I'm doing wrong too much.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The dog that is chasing me, usually.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It varies alot, sometimes I actually focus on my running, I usually have music so sometimes it is just background noise and sometimes I focus on that, I always have my dog so I have to pay attention to her too if she needs something or there is tempting wildlife around, traffic and other people, and sometimes my mind wanders or I think about problems that need to be solved
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I used to run a lot as a kid and I would say for any long run it was just happy zen time for me. I would notice smells, the wind, feel the clouds passing the sun, but very much detached from the day to day stuff like bills, traffic, problems in general.

Most runs for me started with a grand effort to simply keep going and ended with the sad awareness that the run was unfortunately over.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i'm usually listening to a podcast to keep my mind off my run, and i'll be thinking about whatever they're talking about.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As a math nerd, I think about how far I have left to go in terms of percentages. This happens whether I swim, run, or bike. I also think about my problems or life in general. I also think about how great I'll feel when I am done and that usually takes me to the end of my workout. When I start to get tired, I glance more at my phone in my arm band to see how much farther I have to go. I use an audio coach that clicks off at so much time and/or distance and I TRY to only rely on that for my stats.

I also plan meals out in my head and try to figure out how they budget into my caloric limit. Anything to keep my mind off of any pain, discomfort, or tiredness I may be feeling at that time.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    sometimes zoning out is the only i can keep going...if im having a bad run that day..

i
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i just started C25K, and so only run for 60 sec at a time.....so what i think about for those 60 secs is: when is that damn lady going to tell me its time to start walking again!!!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I tend to zone out into my music and thoughts about whats going on at work or with friends. If I think about running it won't happen.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Zombies.

I should mention that I usually run while listening to the Zombies, Run! app.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    I love running. I stare at the white line and my feet as they move along and everything else becomes a blur. I don't think about anything and it's the most relaxing thing in the world!
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think about how much i hate to run then i stop and walk.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD... I think about ALL THE THINGS! "Hmm... Nice tree... I'm sweaty... That reminds me, it's time for me to mow the lawn again... Did I take the steaks out for lunch?... Wait, did I remember to lock the door?... When did I get my oil changed last... That movie was sooo funny!... I wonder what that guy is thinking about me doing the Lion King while running up the street..." etc. Rapid fire. Oy.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am always thinking that I hope a dog doesn't come out and bite me! Seriously...that is one of my worst fears when running. When I see a dog out in someones yard, I just hope and pray they have the invisible fence. I even told hubby I was thinking about running with one of those loud whistle things that can scare dogs away.

A few weeks ago a big German Sheppard was running towards the street barking, but thankfully he stopped and just stood there barking. I would have loved to have seen my face when I wasn't sure if there was an invisible fence or not!:laugh:

But, other than that...I just think about random things as well. :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    However, I ran 10k last night and my mind was all over the place. I suddenly realised that I'd gotten to half way and couldn't remember how I'd got there. It was odd but pleasant. I guess I just zoned out.

I tend to get ragey and want to hurt someone. Which is good because I run slow, people can just walk away.

It's like yoga.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I run at night. You'd think I'd be thinking about the dangers of people but, I'm always afraid a dog will get out and get me -_- Or snakes since I've more than once almost tripped over one.

I also think about my heart rate and how many calories I've burned. I don't like running, I only do it to burn off however many extra calories I've eaten/want to eat LOL...so I'm constantly looking at my polar.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right...usually to music.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    "How much this sucks"

I obviously hate running but force myself to do so a couple of times a month.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    So I used to run a lot as a kid and I would say for any long run it was just happy zen time for me. I would notice smells, the wind, feel the clouds passing the sun, but very much detached from the day to day stuff like bills, traffic, problems in general.

This is pretty much what I'm like when I run, I try to just kick back and enjoy the run. I find I get bored on paths or the treadmill and get ADD brain another post shared what that's like but mostly I just tie up the shoes and go. It's time I take for myself because I deserve it.