Why is consistency so hard for most people?

Options

Replies

• jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Consistency is hard because it requires decision and discipline. It's easy to resolve to lose weight when clothes get too tight, but to follow through with the necessary actions required takes more than a mere blog post. It isn't easy to change habits. I had a tough time getting myself to log in every day when I started because I didn't feel like being accountable on days when I screwed up. I managed my first 90 days of logging streak by committing to post on a thread every day, but once I accomplished the goal, I found myself only logging exercise and leaving my food diary blank on days that I didn't want to be accountable for extra calories. So now I've been making myself complete my food diary every day. I hope that I can be an example of consistency and continue to follow through with what I say I'm going to do.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    People do want they truly want to do.

It's that simple.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1. They are unrealistic. They try to make too many changes at once, they don't plan for what to do when they hit an obstacle, they are too restrictive, and/or they create unattainable goals. Then they fall on their face. Sometimes they don't realize that they are doing this, other times people do it on purpose so they have something to blame when they fail.

2. They are treating the symptoms of the issue. Many people on MFP have issues with emotional eating, relationships with food, and body image, and figure if they lose weight, everything will be better. So they begin a diet and exercise program, and end up slacking off, bingeing, or making excuses why they aren't successful (there are cookies in the house and the rest of the family won't support the person by not buying cookies). They don't want to talk to a doctor, or therapist, or support group like OA to help them get to the "why" of the matter, and since they never address it, they are not able to make any behavioral changes that would help them be successful.

3. They've surrounded themselves with the "M is for Motivation! Cheerleaders." They've found people to support them on their journey, and there are motivational sayings, fitspo, emojis, positivity, and exclamation points as far as the eye can see. Each time they slip up, they get lots of support and "you'll get it next time!" from their group. Unfortunately, everyone is so focused on being positive and happy that no one is doing any critical thinking. So they end up getting validation for every excuse they have instead of someone saying "ok, yeah, we're all human and make mistakes, but if you're serious about this, you need to get it together," and no one ends up losing any weight.

4. They focus too much on the scale. Instead of setting goals for themselves to work towards while on this journey like improving a fitness goal, or incorporating more fruits and veggies, or trying zumba class, everything is done with calories and a scale number in mind. Then when the scale doesn't move for awhile, they freak out and beat themselves up instead of being able to say "ok, the scale didn't move this week, but watch me do 20 consecutive burpees and eat this big plate of veggies because rawr, broccoli looks like baby trees!"

dear lord- all of this.

I would say usually it's time and the warm fuzzy issues and unrealstic goals.

> They think it happens quickly- it doesn't- this requires patience and they want it to happen over night.
    > they want to FEEL motivated to do things- and that's not how this works
    > they want a scale goal- and have no tangible working toward goals- running- lifting- competing in a race whatever- things to keep them moving foward to a DEFINED end of accomplishment.
  • balance_happy_mum
    balance_happy_mum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My lack of consistency can be traced to a few things.

1. Impatience with the process and then giving up because "it's not making a difference anyway"

2. Resistance to any discomfort. Most times I should push through a little harder, but instead I say, "Too hard, forget this. "
    (this is not about experiencing pain; that's a different thing)

3. Looking at the amount of time it will take to hit my goals and giving up.

4. Making a bad plan which immediately sets me up for failure, so I just think, "There, that proves I can't lose weight." Bad plans include extreme diets, completely omitting macros because they are "bad," starving myself, using cleanses which only hurt my efforts and pathologizes food.

5. Not having a health buddy, whether it's online or in my real life. Always going it alone hasn't really worked out for me. With support, I have both accountability and a sensible voice urging me not to quit.

6. Let's face it, I'm lazy when it comes to exercise. "I really need to watch all 3 seasons of the Mighty Boosh, I'll go another time."

2 4 5 6
    That's me :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It is rare to see someone who has even a 100 or 200 day streak of logging in on MFP.

Um... I have a 581 day streak. Lots of people on my FL have streaks longer than mine. I guess my friends and I are the 5%.

Same. I have a 732 day streak and have logged all through pregnancy and now have an 8 week old and am still logging. A lot on my friends list are similar (except they don't all have babies lol).

I think some people maybe expect faster results and get fed up, or just have unrealistic goals.
  • balance_happy_mum
    balance_happy_mum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find I don't have a set routine.
    I'm basically lazy
    I want it but obviously don't want it bad enough
    I beat myself up for all of these excuses.
    Life gets busy and I fall off the wagon.
    :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I sitting at just a little over 1000 days logged in. I find consistency easy. From my experience, I think people that don't, are the ones that go 110% from day 1 and don't ease into things. One of my coworkers are a good example of this. From time to time, she picks up the latest diet-craze book, reads it from cover to cover, then she cuts out all the "bad" foods, gets super restrictive with her diet. She sticks with it for a little while then gives up. She also puts in all her progress on the scale. If she doesn't lose anything in 1 week or gains, she gets discouraged and gives up.

I don't cut out anything from my diet, aside from soda pop, I eat both good and bad. I don't focus on just the scale to track my progress. I also track my fitness levels, inches lost, strength gained, etc etc.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like this post, it really makes me think about why I "fall off of the wagon" and have to recommit so many times. Mostly I think I'm just lazy and yes I guess that is just another excuse, right along with I don't feel good today or I'm just not feeling it, so I'm not gonna go workout today. ALL JUST EXCUSES. I can think up a "good" excuse for anything that I really don't want to do. It is so easy to just keep doing what you have been doing for so many years. I am out of my comfort zone. I work at least 10 hours a day. I don't have time to cook a healthy meal, it is so much easier to just go through the drive thru and grab a burger and fries. ALL EXCUSES. I do think sometimes that maybe I just don't want it bad enough because if I did I would do what I have to do afterall I do know what I need to do. I find that when I get stuck and the scale is not moving (yes I am stuck on needing to see that number go down) that I start thinking why am I even doing all of this because obviously it is not working (even though I have already lost 50 pounds by doing this) so I should just not exercise and just eat whatever I want to. Maybe I can look back on this post when I am feeling this way and turn it around. Thanks for this post OP.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, the excuse makers say that it's all the diet's fault, that diets don't work for 95% of people. When, really, these people cannot stay consistent.

I have my own ideas on why consistency is so hard for most people. What are yours? And, how can people improve their motivation to truly change and maintain a new lifestyle? How can we prevent relapse?

It's partly the diet's fault, partly the dieter's. Consistency is hard if it relies totally on discipline. We have only so much willpower. The diet (and exercise, if applicable) has to be both structured and flexible, because life will happen. It has to be something we want to do anyway, not because of some external goal. Good enough and being able to keep it up is way better than perfect and doomed for failure.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    People do want they truly want to do.

It's that simple.

I have no problem with this. In fact, I'm a big believer in people doing what we want. But I've promised myself that since we all have this energy hog of a frontal lobe taking up space in our skulls, I'm going to use mine to think carefully about what I really want instead of just throwing up my hands for no conscious reason and diving into the oreos, crescent rolls, non-dairy butter, dark chocolate, and all those other foods that don't have a face but definitely would make me fat again. Sometimes we do what we want, but if we'd really thought about it, we really wanted something else more.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in people doing what we want. But I've promised myself that since we all have this energy hog of a frontal lobe taking up space in our skulls, I'm going to use mine to think carefully about what I really want instead of just throwing up my hands for no conscious reason and diving into the oreos, crescent rolls, non-dairy butter, dark chocolate, and all those other foods that don't have a face but definitely would make me fat again. Sometimes we do what we want, but if we'd really thought about it, we really wanted something else more.
    This is so interesting! I have come to understand that the frontal lobe, which is the newest and most higly developed part of the brain, the seat of willpower and decicion making, needs lots of quality fuel to operate optimally. Humans developed into omnivores, and by eating a varied diet we can make use of our full potential. Our food environment today is very different from our ancestors', what tastes good is very often not healthy, and it takes a concious effort to choose what to eat and not to eat.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in people doing what we want. But I've promised myself that since we all have this energy hog of a frontal lobe taking up space in our skulls, I'm going to use mine to think carefully about what I really want instead of just throwing up my hands for no conscious reason and diving into the oreos, crescent rolls, non-dairy butter, dark chocolate, and all those other foods that don't have a face but definitely would make me fat again. Sometimes we do what we want, but if we'd really thought about it, we really wanted something else more.
    This is so interesting! I have come to understand that the frontal lobe, which is the newest and most higly developed part of the brain, the seat of willpower and decicion making, needs lots of quality fuel to operate optimally. Humans developed into omnivores, and by eating a varied diet we can make use of our full potential. Our food environment today is very different from our ancestors', what tastes good is very often not healthy, and it takes a concious effort to choose what to eat and not to eat.

I'm not worried about my diet so far, I'm more focused and have more energy to think with than I ever did on the American omnivore from a package diet. Even with this head cold I've come down with, I'm not nearly as foggy headed. Probably because my former diet was so loaded with sugar that any benefits from the variety were offset. When I was on low carb I experienced a similar brain boost, though not quite as much as I'm currently getting. I do take a multivitamin, though. I'm not going to risk either a B12 or a Vitamin D deficiency.

Edit: You're right, though, from what I've read, meat did play a huge role in our evolution, if only because we went into places we never could have otherwise and developed mental and physical traits necessary for hunting. If it ever comes down to me, a spear, and a deer standing between me and starvation, I'm sorry, deer. Actually, I'll probably stab myself in the foot and the deer will bound away laughing, but I'd like to think it would end differently.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm very consistent. I don't log into MFP everyday though and I haven't logged my food into my diary in over a year save for a spot check here and there. I have consistently maintained my weight and it's been pretty easy because I took the time to learn how to eat again while I was losing. Losing weight was just the training ground and logging was my training wheels. Logging helped me to develop healthful habits that I've taken into maintenance.

IMO, it's all about adopting healthful dietary habits and living a lifestyle that is fitness centric. Most people fail to even conceptualize what that means let alone actually go through with adopting a completely different lifestyle than they had before. For one thing, people lack patience...they try to do a 180 overnight and fail almost immediately...adopting a whole new lifestyle takes time...it's baby steps and a lot of patience and practice and falling down and getting up, etc. Basically, people just want to magically be different today than they were yesterday and it just doesn't work that way.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have several theories on the topic. Now, where do I start?

Well, I joined Sep 2013, and have logged every day, except for one when the internet was down. Also, I've joined a group, the ultimate accountability challenge group, which has helped me a great deal. Besides, this I have a few selected friends, who are very supportive. We have something in common, in that we logg every day and exercise regularly. We are on this journey together, and I am very grateful for MFP, for making this possible.

I had a diabetic test, and analysis last week. I'm no longer in the danger zone, and I'm very exited about this. Thanks to MFP, and my supportive friends on here.

I can't really answer the question in regards to other people, as everybody is different. But, I think if we can programme our thinking a bit, we will get results. Overcome habits, and don't be afraid to do your own thing, to achieve results. I've always been a firm believer in myself, but not everybody is confident. In some cases, it might be an idea, to learn to love yourself, in order to achieve results. Self help groups, or personal development classes, I think they're called.

My other theory, is that we need to realize that our bodies, where not designed for modern day living. We know our ancestors, where very active from morning to night, cooking, cleaning, hunting, farming, and in some cases travelling. So, we have to incorporate exercise to mimic, our ancestors activity levels, by rambling, lifting, swimming, cycling etc. Some of us are fortunate enough to have physically demanding jobs, but for the rest of us, it's not so easy.

To think, like a 'slim' person is the key.

I wish you all good luck, on your journey, with MFP. Remember, it's not a diet. It's a life change.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options

1. Impatience with the process and then giving up because "it's not making a difference anyway"

2. Resistance to any discomfort. Most times I should push through a little harder, but instead I say, "Too hard, forget this. "

4. Making a bad plan which immediately sets me up for failure, so I just think, "There, that proves I can't lose weight." Bad plans include extreme diets, completely omitting macros because they are "bad," starving myself, using cleanses which only hurt my efforts and pathologizes food.

5. Not having a health buddy, whether it's online or in my real life. Always going it alone hasn't really worked out for me. With support, I have both accountability and a sensible voice urging me not to quit.

6. Let's face it, I'm lazy when it comes to exercise. "I really need to watch all 3 seasons of the Mighty Boosh, I'll go another time."

I applaud you for your first-person answer. That's some serious self-awareness there. I suffer from 1-4 and 6. The only way I beat it was when I got to a new low (high I guess) and decided to work on changing my habits. Three years later, I still struggle. Because my natural state is to be lazy.

Totally agree.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In the past, I tried Nutrisystem. It was something I could do while my husband traveled during the week. I didn't really like the foods and, when my husband was home, he wanted nothing to do with it, so I would eat whatever. I lost a little weight while sticking with it and then put it all back on (and then some) once I stopped.

I started on here a little over a month ago and finally feel "ready" to lose weight. I'm enjoying not "eating out of a box" but rather, having what I want. Last night, I craved chinese food, so I had some. I make sure not to cut anything out of my diet, but rather, have it in moderation. And I work out a little extra if I know a bad day is coming (or went by).

For me, it was all about really accepting that this is a lifestyle change, not a "diet." This is something I'm going to have to be able to continue for the rest of my life. That's why I keep some chocolate in the house and have a piece or two every night. I find I make healthier choices consistently, but if I want/crave something bad - I'm gonna have it. I do my best to make it work with my calorie intake for the day.

So far, I've been consistently losing weight. I haven't measured myself, that's next in line. I know I have a LONG way to go, but I try to take it one day at a time and keep mini-goals for myself. I'm super proud of myself that I went from walking .5 miles 2 months ago to walking 3+ miles just about every other day.

My worry is that I've gotten a routine down for myself, but starting next week, things change. I'm back on the road for work and will be traveling the entire month of July. I'll be bringing my workout clothes and plan on hitting the gyms in the hotel. I am already planning places I can eat out, but it's a little nerve wracking. Anyway, I'll find what works best for me.

One of the big things that helps me stay consistent is my husband. He's also doing this with me. He cheers me on when I need cheering, but he also reaffirms that it's ok if I need to eat something. He helps me keep my perspective and is the rock I need.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can look back on this post when I am feeling this way and turn it around. Thanks for this post OP.

You're welcome! I really think consistency is key, and underrated. I hope I can offer more help to people who ask for it in the future by giving good advice on staying consistent. These ideas are golden.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bb
  • maram29
    Options

• maram29
    Options
    Well said.
    Along with my, "Yes, what he said," I also track my own lack of consistency to ignorance. The amount I have to lose is overwhelming at times. Seeing an expert in the field who can look at my actions and help me plot my next move has been life changing for me. I am 47 years old and am seeing success with weight loss for the first time because of the knowledge he has given me. If doing it alone isn't working, find someone.
    Best of luck to all of you.