Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone else feel like eat out but healthy defeats the p

2»

Replies

• I pretty much HAVE to choose the healthy options on the menu when I go out. Because typically the items I used to eat on the menus were some of the WORST items on the menu. These days, I find it impossible to get myself to eat at a restaurant that doesn't have nutritional information. My husband might say I want to go to X restaurant (which has no nutritional information) that has barbeque and mexican dishes. I would ask him, well which part of the menu do you want, and then I will direct him to the local restaurant with nutritional info that has his food of choice. I think it annoys him that I do this, but I'm thankful that he still supports me.

I think I am just saving up for Christmas, though. I figure if I do all the losing weight I can before Christmas hits, I should be able to take a couple days off without killing things too badly (plus we're staying in a hotel over the holiday that has a workout room, so I can do that).
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    I try to avoid eating out as much as possible and for dates we try to do something based around an activity or event instead of food. Thanks to MFP, the food I used to consider "good" now- even just the thought of it- makes me sick! Like- I can't believe I put that in my body and considered it to be "good." Maybe others feel this way or maybe I'm just a weirdo... but smelling oil on fried foods (much less tasting it), seeing creamy sauces, etc... just makes me imagine eating a stick of butter or drinking cooking oil... blahhhh.

I also am shocked, well not really- I expected it based on what I've read on here- that so many restaurants' "healthy" options are usually loaded with sodium... take out the fat, add "flavor" by loading it with hidden salt.

Based on the info I've learned and how my lifestyle has evolved... spending $30 on "good" food equates to spending $30 on a punishment- not only on my body but on my mind. Why would I do that to myself? I'm tired of punishing myself. I want to feel and look good.

I think it is a rotton shame at how overindulgent some food items are- read the thread in this forum titled "Shocking" and see what I mean about the post I made about a pre-MFP meal I used to have at Chili's... it is crazy!

Food can easily be a drug... these restaurants and their advertisements are like a dealer on a street corner trying to lure you in and I'm not buying! Not anymore!

If I do eat away from home- I make sure it is "real" food with recognizable ingredients (that the restaurant is proud of and gladly shares the nutrition info). Sorry for my rant! It just makes me sad and angry at how some of these restaurants do not give 1 flip about the junk they are putting in their foods- and that we in turn consume.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    I try to order something relatively healthier when I go out to eat, and I account for it on my food log and try to make up for it in exercise. I try to only eat out on Zumba days.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Keep in mind too when you are logging your restaurant cals, that that is what the "chefs in the sky" calculate for that recipe, providing it is done to exact specifications.

If you have ever worked in a restaurant you know that butter on the grill is about 5 times more than it calls for, chocolate topping probably 2-3 times too much, often scoops of potatoes etc are larger than they should be and gravy and cheese sauce they are supposed to do one scoop but often scoop 1.5 or 2 because they know the waitress is just going to come back and make them get more when the patron complains (you can help this by ordering your toppings on the side and adding just enough for the flavor). The waitress probably put 3 times more cheese and crutons on the salad than she is told to because she doesn't care about the restaurant bottom line - she cares that you will tip her crap if you complain that there are only 5 (yes, we're supposed to count them!!) crutons and 1 oz of cheese on the salad. The real count on the broccoli side after you count the oil they cooked it in and the butter they poured on it... you could have had the french fries! (though it might say in the book that it is only 100 cals, it's probably more like 250!). Olive garden breadsticks are 150 per, but i wonder what the serving size of the butter they brush onto them is. There's a good chance that they're closer to 175 per.

So, always round up and super over estimate your calories in a restaurant!

But, like I said, when I eat out, because it is so seldom, I enjoy myself and get what I want, so long as I am actually hungry for it.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    When I eat out, I get something that I wouldn't make myself at home that is also diet friendly. I'm also a fan of getting something that's not 'diet friendly' and only eating half (or a quarter) of it.

If my dinner comes with a ton of sides, I'll have a taste, but don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't eat the bread or finish the potatoes.

Charmagne
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i eat out twice a week (sometimes more, but i am trying to cut back) and i get what i want. :) always.

the key for me is know what a serving size is. if i order a 1/4 pound burger, i can eyeball what 3 ounces looks like and stop eating at that point. if i want the fries, i eat what would be the equivalent of a small potato or 5-6 ounces. if i order a salad, i stop eating at 2 cups because i know what 2 cups of salad looks like. i could care less about the croutons/tortilla strips/whatnot, but believe me, i want the freaken full ounce of cheese. :) if i add chicken to it, i stop eating it at 3 ounces. same with veggies, i eat a serving (1/2 cup to 1 cup, depending on type). i am never still hungry.

at olive garden, i always order the minestone soup with tons o' cheese and eggplant parmesan, diabetic portion (they give you six eggplant slices but half the pasta). i make three meals from it.

yesterday i went to noodles and company and had their new meditaranean chicken in a pita sandwich with the tomato and cucumber salad (dressing on the side because i wasn't sure i was going to like it). i ate all the filling but half the pita, and half the salad.

tonight i am going to a french restaurant and i am ordering duck confit salad, ricotta gnocchi and pumpkin creme brulee. i can't wait!

just because the food is there in front of you does not mean you have to join the 'clean plate club'. :) order what you want, but KNOW YOUR SERVING SIZES!
This discussion has been closed.