How to gain weight - overcome ED on my own ):

Options
2»

Replies

• chene249
    chene249 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ah ^ thank you. That's very true. I can treat it like weight loss. LOL i guess I've always been dieting for like 15+ years of my life that weight loss has become so ingrained into me. I guess thinking that way to gain weight this time can be a help. It is true that eating on too much can just cause relapse. It did for me after that many dumplings - i see the bloat in my stomach and am freaking out. I'll try to keep a level head and take it slow. Set small goals without overwhelming myself aha

I'll go with the psychologist - it does seem that the mental side of things, once tackled, can have the ability to guide better eating behaviours.

Thank you for the support.

If there is any other forms of advice, please feel free to share. Im seriously all ears.. (and bones) aha
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Go speak to the university counsellors and ask for support. Some Australian universities also provide up to three sessions with various types of counsellors for staff and students.

Go see another doctor and get support, your GP will be able to develop a care plan for which some appointments will be paid by medicare...dietician, psychologist, counsellor. Find a doctor's that has the allied health care attached if you can, then the doctor, dietician and psychologist or counsellor can work together to support you.

In the mean time, go slow, increase your daily calorie intake very slowly...you can't do it all at once. Increase by 50 to 100cals per day this week and over the next few weeks increase by another 50 or 100cals and so forth.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going through the exact same thing right now. I got down to 85 pounds before I realized I really needed to turn things around. My major problem was that during the course of my disorder I developed a lot of 'food fears' and even though I was committed to recovery I still had a lot of trouble eating these certain foods (eg. I had cut out grains, dairy, refined sugar, red meat...).

It's a slow process, but I suggest tackling recovery one step at a time, you'll feel a lot safer and more comfortable and probably be less likely to want to restrict as compensation for ridiculous overeating. The only way I could justify eating more food was if I stuck to a clean eating meal plan, that way I didn't feel guilty about my eating and didn't want to starve myself to make up for it

Here's how I started:
    -Eat at least three meals a day. They don't have to be full meals at first, just get your body in the habit of eating at regular intervals
    -Gradually increase portion size. Your stomach has probably shrunk while you've been restricting so you will get fuller faster, but just try to slowly allow your body to adapt to a higher food intake. For me I was still relying on safe foods at this point, but would make sure I tried to eat more. I would make bigger salads than I used to, or eat a few more pieces of veggies than before.
    -Challenge yourself to break one ED habit each day. For example, I never ate after 7 pm when I was ill, but now I have a bedtime snack because it helps me sleep. Or try facing a food fear. Hopefully you can feel accomplished and proud of yourself after conquering a challenge each day and it'll inspire you to continue
    -Try eating calorie dense foods. this way you can eat a small volume of food (thus not making yourself sick) but still intake a decent amount of calories. I struggled with this a lot because calorie dense foods were something that caused me major anxiety
    -Distract yourself when you're having ED thoughts. I would always go down and play cards with my mom when I was feeling particularly bloated and wanting to restrict again. Eventually, the thoughts will lessen and things will get easier.

I'd love to add more but I have to dash to work! Message me if you'd like to chat at all!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This site has a ton of solid information about recovery:

www.youreatopia.com/
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I had your problem in my teens and twenties. I ate whatever I pleased (a lot) and I weighed about 120 on a 5'9" frame. I tried stuffing myself to gain weight. It didn't work.

If stuffing yourself to gain weight doesn't work, then you're not actually stuffing yourself -- you're very temporarily increasing calories (and maybe not enough), deciding it doesn't work, and then going back to whatever already didn't work before.

We are all roughly the same, and can all reach our goals in the same way:
    1) Figure out your TDEE
    2) Each about that much to maintain, or that much plus 600-800 calories to gain, or that much minus 600-800 calories to lose.
    3) Weigh everything you eat, and be consistent for at least 3 months. Tweak calories as needed at that point.

If you haven't consistently done this for at least 3 months, then you haven't even tried.

Also, see a doctor. If the one you talk to doesn't give you what you need or doesn't seem helpful, see another one.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you for WANTING to get better. That is the first step, and usually the hardest one to make.

Secondly, I know what you mean about Asian families and not being able to talk about / understanding EDs. In my family, "Oh my god, you're skin and bones!" is considered a compliment, but then they keep feeding you and make you finish your food, and then if you gain a pound, they call you fat! It's all very confusing. Maybe in Asia there are so few people who are overweight (or at least used to be, in our parents' generation, maybe there are more now) that the idea of being afraid to gain weight just plain doesn't register.

I would try to find support outside your family (as you are doing here) and avoid the topic entirely at home until you're well on your way. Check out http://thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/ - they have free one-on-one web counseling and they can help you find a support group near you. This journey starts with your mind and your relationship with food - until you are able to address those issues, it will be all too easy to slip back into old habits.

GOOD LUCK!
  • carlyraer
    carlyraer Posts: 9
    Options
    Im going through the same thing. Im 5 '5 and weigh 87 pounds. Just try to gain weight on healthy foods
  • carlyraer
    carlyraer Posts: 9
    Options
    :happy: Im going through the same thing. Im 5 '5 and weigh 87 pounds. Just try to gain weight on healthy foods
  • notmuchreally
    Options
    Hmmm I'm not so sure about "over eat" as a solution unless you were just eating a teeny weeny bit! But I've added things that are nutrient and calorie dense I suppose. Like peanutbutter, nuts, bananas, yogurt, avocado. I'm a vegetarian btw so not sure what meats are best.
    I believe other oils are good but I don't really use them, so look into what oils are good to cook with.
    There's things you can add like that though to take your regular meals the extra mile so you're not having to "over eat." I just know my stomach is quite sensitive, I would assume it isn't a comfortable feeling to do.
    Also eating more frequently helps. I've always been a frequent (but low cal) eater, so I made different choices with higher calories, protein, etc.
    Also learned how to make a few smoothies.
    Hope this helps!
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I have been down this EXACT same road and I to have gotten through it on my own. Trust me its hard and a difficult journey but its NOT impossible!

Eat more healthy foods. I run and I do keep that up but also do strength training as well. Eat more healthy options with that and you'll gain MUSCLE, eat more junk food you'll gain FAT! You want to gain MUSCLE not FAT.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't struggling with anorexia anymore because I do. Its a lifelong battle and you just need to build yourself up to fight it not give him.
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I was recovering from ED I started slowly.

So adding cheese, butter or chocolate spread to toast instead of having it dry and adding sauces and meat to pasta and rice when before I didnt.

Little changes such as switching semi skimmed milk to whole and eating wholegrain seeded bread which is packed with more calories and better nutrition wise than plain white.

Dont listen to the doctor about your periods. I still have to control mine through medication despite being in recovery for over 10 years now.

And dont weight yourself every day, do it weekly. it helps to stop you obsessing over if you gained or lost a pound and you see more consistent results in a week rather than a day
  • micfit9
    micfit9 Posts: 18
    Options
    www.youreatopia.com :)
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Overcoming an eating disorder is tough on your own, I would suggest finding a a good behavioral health doctor, to help you find the root cause for your condition, depression, feeling out of control, or why you are feeling fat at 90 lbs..

Since you are only 20 years old the first goal should be 108.. then keep it at 108 for a couple months, then pop that up to 118.

Let you body settle in at 118- 125 .. for a year or two, the when you are pushing 30 go up to 125.

90 lbs is so so low, try to eat at least 1400 calories a day. You need Healthy proteins, lots of fruit and vegetables and whole grain breads.

Get some exercise to gain muscle tone as you gain weight. FIT is so much prettier than skinny. Good luck.