Honest truths, maybe a bit harsh (this is a tad long)

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Feh, everybody's entitled to their opinion.

But of course! However, " MFP is about fitness and health, this is NOT a weight loss site. " is not an opinion. He is making a statement in which he believes is fact.

what about it being my opinion don't you understand? Please don't try to proliferate lies about what I wrote an try to attach some meaning for which I didn't put any.

and I quote

"I'm not your mother, I'm not here to coddle you. So I'm going to give you your medicine straight. Take it or don't, that's up to you, but know that this is the honest truth as I see it. If you don't like it, tough, this is how it is in my humble opinion."

See that last sentence? What you quoted came directly after it. not to mention, what I wrote directly after it which was
    Weight loss on MFP is incidental, and should NOT be the main focus on here. I know it usually is, but that's not what I envision MFP as.

therefore the whole quote should be written because you never quote an incomplete thought without risking taking the thought out of context. Man I hate when people try to use language like this, it's just scummy.
    MFP is about fitness and health, this is NOT a weight loss site. One of the main benefits about becoming healthy and learning how to eat right is moving towards a healthy weight. Weight loss on MFP is incidental, and should NOT be the main focus on here. I know it usually is, but that's not what I envision MFP as.

So what you're saying is that MFP is a diet first site then? And that fitness and healthy eating should be incidental? Well, I'm glad that's not been my experience, if it was, I would have been out of here a long time ago. I know how to eat healthy already, but I still learn things from this site, why? Because in my experience, this site is about health (which includes your diet) and fitness. Of COURSE most people on here are looking to lose weight, it's the main problem in the world with regards to health and nutrition, why wouldn't it dominate the topics, that doesn't mean it's what the main focus of the site should be. Put it this way, losing weight does NOT necessarily correlate with becoming healthy (one can be unhealthy in their weightless method), but it's part of the definition of being healthy and active to be in good enough shape to be considered healthy and active, and that means you must have a certain level of weight, obese generally not being in that discussion.

I don't know if Mike's original intent was only as a diet site, maybe it was, and maybe it wasn't. But again I'll say that it's a moot point because websites that have community participation evolve. And in my opinion, this one have become (and has been for a LOOONNG time) a site devoted to health, fitness, and nutrition. You just won't convince me otherwise.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    not really sure about the point of the above statement. I thought I was pretty obvious about this being my opinion and impression of the site. What does this have to do with that? Are you trying to say that I can't have an opinion that is different from the original intent of the site?

No, it was meant in a joking mannor. I see those words that I quoted every day on the MFP page when I log in, so I thought it was funny. I actually agree with alot of what you said in the post. Like I said it was meant to come accross as a good natured kind of teasing. But I will say if that got you upset, I hate to see what happens when the people on those fad diets you talked about chime in here. :laugh: :laugh:

it's no thing. It's cool. if there were sarcasm italics it would be easier.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OK I'll say this again for everyone who doesn't like statement number 1.

I prefaced all of this by saying it was MY OPINION. IMHO (for those that don't know this acronym means IN MY HUMBLE OPINION), this site has grown well beyond just losing weight, if that was the original intent, I don't think it is that any more. If it was only about diet, there wouldn't be an exercise section at all.

So disagree with it if you like, that's fine. But don't use the original site description to say I'm wrong, because regardless of what it says on there, there's more to this site than just diet. Again this how I feel.

Put it this way, reading that site description and saying that's what the site is about is akin to reading a book and making a conclusion based on the title or the introduction. You have to read the content in order to know what it's about. If you didn't we wouldn't need books at all, just titles and introductions.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I first started here & our "group" was much smaller, I think that the site *was* devoted more to getting Fit (as a matter of fact, that's why I chose it). However, IMHO, the people who have flocked in since getting national recognition (which is all good), have generally come here to count calories for weight loss purposes. Mind you, just my opinion & no one elses...

However, I totally agree with the OP. Banks, I love to read your posts (as most do). I know you to be a person who does his research & generally, your opinions seem to be founded in fact.

So, can we just leave the "weight loss vs fitness" debate out & continue on with the good part of this discussion?:bigsmile:
  • lmschifano
    Options
    KUDOS!!!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Banks - you're my hero and I love all of your posts!!! This one will be posted on the fridge. Thanks for being you. I originally came to MFP to lose weight but have stayed to get fit and live a healthier lifestyle.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I definitely respect your honestly. I try to live my life as close to the truth as possible. That being said, my comment might not hold much validity because I have never been successfully healthy in terms of a steady routine/regimen. I found this website because a FB friend of mine was posting her fitness goals met each day and it gave me inspiration. I don't want to just lose weight, but focusing on goals that are short term (including but not limited to losing pounds) helps me on the ultimate path of becoming a woman that is accountable for my health. Although I know I want to be that person, currently my lifelong poor behaviors need to be sedated by results that fuel me to continue to make the change.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I definitely respect your honestly. I try to live my life as close to the truth as possible. That being said, my comment might not hold much validity because I have never been successfully healthy in terms of a steady routine/regimen. I found this website because a FB friend of mine was posting her fitness goals met each day and it gave me inspiration. I don't want to just lose weight, but focusing on goals that are short term (including but not limited to losing pounds) helps me on the ultimate path of becoming a woman that is accountable for my health. Although I know I want to be that person, currently my lifelong poor behaviors need to be sedated by results that fuel me to continue to make the change.

There's no such thing as an invalid opinion as far as I'm concerned. Your reasoning is just as valid as anyone else's.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    When I first started here & our "group" was much smaller, I think that the site *was* devoted more to getting Fit (as a matter of fact, that's why I chose it). However, IMHO, the people who have flocked in since getting national recognition (which is all good), have generally come here to count calories for weight loss purposes. Mind you, just my opinion & no one elses...

However, I totally agree with the OP. Banks, I love to read your posts (as most do). I know you to be a person who does his research & generally, your opinions seem to be founded in fact.

So, can we just leave the "weight loss vs fitness" debate out & continue on with the good part of this discussion?:bigsmile:

thanks for the kind words my dear.

I'll agree with the thought that many come here to lose weight, but most stay to become healthy. That's what my meaning is. Yes, many people are looking to count calories, but others (most I think) come on and sooner or later realize that a large part of this site is the community around it, and that community (by and large) is focused as much (or more) on becoming healthy and fit, as it is about losing weight (as a stand alone).
    Cases in point.
    All the topics on exercise and fitness.
    All the topics on feeling better, and being stronger.
    All the responders who caution (rightly or wrongly) on the dangers of under eating.
    All the topics that help people with nutrition (not just calorie count)

So while calorie counting and "dieting" may be the bait that lures the fish, health and fitness is the net that keeps them here (weird analogy I know, my mind goes to odd places in the morning).
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    1. People are going to take what they want from anything, it's not up to you to dictate what it is or isn't to people.
    2. no opinion
    3. I understand what you're saying, but I also understand that people are all coming from their own lives, existence and experience.
    While it would be interesting, to be made out of a cookie cutter and scream Heil Hitler...well that's not the way life works. Which is a good thing.
    4. Some people want instant gratification. Realistic? No. Will they still want it? probably.
    5. Are you sure? Like do you really really know? puts tinfoil hat on.
    6. (sorry Maybe I should put 5 part II) Imma female I like having pride in myself and If I feel like
    worrying about what I look like I will tyvm.

You didn't strike a nerve, but thanks for trying to psycho-analyze a group of people
    who may have that reaction and dealing with any damage by dictating how they should really
    feel before they even felt it.

Oh yea and my opinions are my own. The view expressed herein is from my life experience. If you'd like to attack it feel free, if I choose to ignore it that's up to me xoxo.
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My opinion is always valid to me, I meant in regards to your "honest truths" I guess the truth IS subjective anyway ;)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    1. People are going to take what they want from anything, it's not up to you to dictate what it is or isn't to people.
    2. no opinion
    3. I understand what you're saying, but I also understand that people are all coming from their own lives, existence and experience.
    While it would be interesting, to be made out of a cookie cutter and scream Heil Hitler...well that's not the way life works. Which is a good thing.
    4. Some people want instant gratification. Realistic? No. Will they still want it? probably.
    5. Are you sure? Like do you really really know? puts tinfoil hat on.
    6. (sorry Maybe I should put 5 part II) Imma female I like having pride in myself and If I feel like
    worrying about what I look like I will tyvm.

You didn't strike a nerve, but thanks for trying to psycho-analyze a group of people
    who may have that reaction and dealing with any damage by dictating how they should really
    feel before they even felt it.

Oh yea and my opinions are my own. The view expressed herein is from my life experience. If you'd like to attack it feel free, if I choose to ignore it that's up to me xoxo.

this is awesome.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%! On a side note...PLEASE beat the Pukesburgh Squeelies! :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with number 1--- look at the title of the message board even--weight loss help....but it does need to be a lifestyle not a diet. That said- I especially like number 2!

THIS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED THREE TIMES ALREADY. READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU FREAKIN' POUNCE.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with number 1--- look at the title of the message board even--weight loss help....but it does need to be a lifestyle not a diet. That said- I especially like number 2!

THIS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED THREE TIMES ALREADY. READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU FREAKIN' POUNCE.

oh, forgive me, I thought we could all have opinions, and fyi, I did read the thread, and I wasn't pouncing
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

oh, forgive me, I thought we could all have opinions, and fyi, I did read the thread, and I wasn't pouncing

now now, everyone be nice. No need to jump down anyone's throat (speaking to both sides that is). Yes, I've addressed the issue of the statement of MFP about being for weight loss, I've even initiated a post to Mike to talk about whether it should be more all encompassing (we'll see if that goes anywhere), but please try to post with as much respect as you can guys. I don't want this thread to become the "lets bash on each other" thread.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What it all boils down to is accountability! Thank you Banks for saying it so eloquently! I love reading your posts! :heart: A little bit of tough love and telling it like it is never hurt anyone!

I started on this website because of the ease of keeping track of calories and because I had some weight to lose. In fact, a friend of mine told me about a "really great site where you can track your calories." I have stayed because of the fitness aspect. I have made many like-minded cyber friends on this site. And it IS called myFITNESSpal, after all. :bigsmile: There are two sides to a coin, and being at a healthy weight is a big part of health and fitness. That doesn't mean that this site is solely for weight loss. There is a section for tracking exercise, also!

Everyone is a little self consious, we ALL have to deal with it, and it really doesn't matter what you look like. Some people are just jerks, but most aren't. We have all been picked on or singled out in our lives, not just for being overweight, maybe you are too short, or too tall, or too thin, so I guess as unpleasant as it is, deal with it. Sad but true, there are lots of bullies out there. They are that way because that is THEIR way of showing insecurity. :ohwell:

Thanks again, Banks!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've read everyones posts to this point and have enjoyed it......

When some have taken the defensive, or argued about some things that may seem trivial to me, I know and respect that they were just offering THEIR opinion. So glad that we can offer our opinion......

I first came to this site looking for a means of finding nutritional values for the foods I was eating, not just calories. I have enjoyed my associations here, and the things I have learned that have contributed to my own research.......

There are a few people that I would like to shake now and then and remind them to look over their food choices and realize that perhaps all the starvation from real foods and eating of highly processed foods is not particularily good for them. I think it is very worthwhile to look back over your diary every now and then with a little introspection about what you are doing.....I think much benefit is lost if you don't look back on the choices made and what could be better.

We all make our own choices, many times we need knowledge and support of others to improve them.......I have faith that we can all help each other to gain that which we seek, and improve ourselves where we are willing and able.

There is plenty of information available to help us lose weight if that is our goal and be healthy if we choose it...........What we do or become is up to us! Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinion....it is of value....

I don't negate or devalue anyones opinion......It is theirs and has value...
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with a lot of what you said. I myself am not losing what I would like to be (or at all for that matter), and there is reason for that. I didn't find this offensive at all. It was honest and straightforward, but not harsh. It opened my eyes to look deeper in to issues that are keeping me from meeting my goals.