What do you guys take to work for lunch?

Options
I'm starting my new job tomorrow and I need some healthy, QUICK and filling ideas for lunch. I know that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but I wanna know what you guys take to eat? I'm trying to avoid deli meat. Everything else is game. GO. :smile:

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I simply make a double portion at dinner, and bring that to work. So meat/fish, veggies and potatoes/pata/rice.
    Heat it up in the microwave at work :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my new job tomorrow and I need some healthy, QUICK and filling ideas for lunch. I know that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but I wanna know what you guys take to eat? I'm trying to avoid deli meat. Everything else is game. GO. :smile:
    I make my own bread each week and take almond butter and jelly sandwiches with either nuts, trail mix, chips, or greek yogurt, depending on what I feel like.
  • bronsted93
    bronsted93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I simply make a double portion at dinner, and bring that to work. So meat/fish, veggies and potatoes/pata/rice.

That's a great idea, although we usually prepare dinners to last 2 nights and there usually aren't left-overs. I'll most likely just wind up buying separate stuff for my lunches.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Literally nothing.

I want to enjoy my food. The opportunity to do so is wasted if I choose to eat during work. I want to eat in the comfort of my house with totally fresh meals.

Don't know how people can stand packing food. Just the thought is disgusting.
  • sprucey85
    sprucey85 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding carbs so will be a salad in a box! No bread or wraps for me :-(
  • bronsted93
    Options
    [/quote]
    ...I make my own bread each week...
    [/quote]

You make your own bread every week? How about I pay you monthly to send me bread weekly? :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • ClinicalTrial
    Options
    I'm avoiding carbs so will be a salad in a box! No bread or wraps for me :-(

Salad = all carbs...

Do you mean to say processed carbs?
  • bronsted93
    Options
    Literally nothing.

There is no way I'm going 6 hours without eating anything. hahaha I'm fat for a reason. :laugh:
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I got sick of the line, prices, and nutritional value of even supposed low sodium lunch meats so I started making my own. Every Sunday I make a bunch of grilled chicken breast and brown rice for mid morning and mid afternoon meals. I make an extra pound of chicken, let it cool, and slice it up and put it in the meat drawer for my own homemade, ultra low sodium REAL chicken breast. I make whole wheat sandwiches with the chicken, lettuce, mustard, and a 40 cal slice of Sargento ultra thin provolone. Tastes way better than "chicken" that was shaped like a football when I stood in line and paid $8/lb for it.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers, or sandwiches/wraps.
  • bronsted93
    Options
    I got sick of the line, prices, and nutritional value of even supposed low sodium lunch meats so I started making my own. Every Sunday I make a bunch of grilled chicken breast and brown rice for mid morning and mid afternoon meals. I make an extra pound of chicken, let it cool, and slice it up and put it in the meat drawer for my own homemade, ultra low sodium REAL chicken breast. I make whole wheat sandwiches with the chicken, lettuce, mustard, and a 40 cal slice of Sargento ultra thin provolone. Tastes way better than "chicken" that was shaped like a football when I stood in line and paid $8/lb for it.

This is an excellent idea. Deli meats are so off putting to me...so processed and SALTY. BLEH. :noway:
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options

So YOU'RE the person! Under no circumstances should microwaving fish in public be allowed. People do that at my office from time to time and it is awful. I love grilling fish now and then but it's a zero leftovers meal.
  • ClinicalTrial
    Options
    So YOU'RE the person! Under no circumstances should microwaving fish in public be allowed.

Preach.

Don't you guys get self-conscious permeating an entire area with pungent odor? Ew.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken breast the night before. I take a serving of almonds.. and like a banana or apple or something.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I take a wide variety of things depending on my mood and what's available in the cupboard/fridge.

This past week it was lentil soup, salmon/rice/veggies, Greek yogurt with fruit, green salad with chicken and on Friday, another salmon meal but without the rice.

I'm lucky in that our office's kitchen has two huge refrigerators, two microwaves and a toaster oven. You can pretty much bring whatever you like and make it work.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I pack my food every day and I try to meal prep on sundays.

I make a bunch of grilled chicken breast and put it in my salads, I also add greek yogurt and pickles to make chicken salad with multigrain flax seed... brown rice, etc.
    you can never go wrong with fruits/veggies and they are 'fast/easy' just pair it with chicken, tuna, or shrimp so you will be satisfied. almonds are my go-to snack at work for after lunch time.... gluten free rice cakes with organic peanut butter and a banana are really good too!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I take a container of raw veggies and/or fruit (~3 svgs worth) and cottage cheese, yogurt, or tuna (I don't heat the tuna but I do tie up the pouch in a plastic bag when done so my office doesn't stink) and a Kashi dark chocolate almond bar or plain almonds.
  • jrrhodes0913
    jrrhodes0913 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I normally just take left overs from the night before, just make an extra portion. IE extra chicken breast, pork chop or fish filet. makes it easier for you also so you don't have to cook another meal. and in the morning it is just a grab and go. Plus you can measure it all out the night before and enter it in so if you get busy it will already be in the system for you. Another tip, alot of the fast food places IE McDonalds and Wendy's I know you can order just a grilled chick breast ala cart for less cost than a sandwich if your worried about the carbs like I am.
  • ClinicalTrial
    Options
    Another tip, alot of the fast food places IE McDonalds and Wendy's I know you can order just a grilled chick breast ala cart for less cost than a sandwich if your worried about the carbs like I am.

There's much more to carbs about which you ought to be worried when it comes to fast-food sourced meat. They spray a million chemicals on that garbage. Get it elsewhere if you value health. Just a tip, as you said.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the new job.
    I have little time at work so I take canned garbanzo beans that I rinsed in a colander the night before.
    When I have more time, I take cheese sticks and bagged green beans or romaine.