Am I too heavy to start cycling?

Options
Title basically says it all... I would like to start riding a bike to work/school but I am afraid that I'll just brake the bike :embarassed: I weigh 289 pounds. I would be biking 8-25 miles per day, depending on my schedule.

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I started biking at 253. Nothing bad happened to me or the bike.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nope, you should check out this guys blog, he's pretty awesome.
    http://www.fatguyorangebike.com
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There's no real danger of you breaking the bike, but I would have the bike tuned up professionally at a bike shop, to make sure it starts out with tires inflated right, height right for you, etc.

I'd also start with shorter neighborhood rides to build up strength, endurance and comfort (bike seats can require a little getting used to.) .

Have fun!
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks :-) Does anyone know of a specific model or brand that would be okay for me? I don't really think there are good shops in my area, but I really have no idea.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was 270 and riding a bicycle. Just use common since and no jumping ramps popping wheelies and stunt stuff that will put excess pressure on the frame.

Ultimately as they said above take your time. Start slow. I felt pitiful when I started jogging. I could only jog for a few seconds and my goal was to jog for 10 seconds. I can now jog for several minutes. I know it's not HUGE but the point is like what they said above. Start small work your way up.

I wish you only the best.

Jim

PS: Huffy, Schwinn, those are imo the better names to stick with. I also love the mountain bikes because the tires are wider. That means a slower ride BUT you can ride almost anywhere and they can take a little more rough handling.
  • thiosulfate
    Options
    I was 270 and riding a bicycle. Just use common since and no jumping ramps popping wheelies and stunt stuff that will put excess pressure on the frame.

Ultimately as they said above take your time. Start slow. I felt pitiful when I started jogging. I could only jog for a few seconds and my goal was to jog for 10 seconds. I can now jog for several minutes. I know it's not HUGE but the point is like what they said above. Start small work your way up.

I wish you only the best.

Jim

PS: Huffy, Schwinn, those are imo the better names to stick with. I also love the mountain bikes because the tires are wider. That means a slower ride BUT you can ride almost anywhere and they can take a little more rough handling.

Thanks! :-) I think a mountian bike would be best! There are some rough roads in my path (metephorically and literally)
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks :-) Does anyone know of a specific model or brand that would be okay for me? I don't really think there are good shops in my area, but I really have no idea.

tbh a bike is a bike is a bike sort of.. if you are novice just make sure you feel comfortable and I would recommend gears. After you are into bike more than just for fitness then its time to worry about which model ect. For now just focus on feeling comfortable. I would also check craigslist for a cheap bike since its just for exercise.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Thanks! :-) I think a mountian bike would be best! There are some rough roads in my path (metephorically and literally)

You might also look at hybrid bikes: they have wider tires and a more upright seating angle than road bikes and are designed for commuting. Mountain bikes have special suspension to tackle the roughness and ups and downs of actual mountain riding. Nothing wrong with that, but it adds to the cost of the bike and may be more than you need.
  • kaotik2003
    kaotik2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi. In fact cycling is the best exercise for overweight people since it spares your joints. In what it takes to the cycle choice you must evaluate the roads or tracks you have near your place. In my case I started with a mountain bike and was always on tarmac roads so I bought a road bike and I love it because of the speed even do you loose confort.

Maybe you should start with a mountain bike and then choose. Bicycle is amazing, start slow and increase a ride each week and you'll be amazed with your body changing. I advise you to use a phone app that counts the details of your ride and maybe add a heart sensor to keep working on the correct heart zones
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with the "start slowly" comment! You do not want to run out of steam and lose interesting in biking.
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Buy from a bike store. They will be able help you find the right bike for you. Avoid walmart type stores, they are cheap, and mostly crap bikes.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think an hybrid or even a cruzer would be fine as long as the cruzer had some gearing. I would lean toward the hybird though. Slow is an awesome way to start. maybe around the block a couple times etc. Mapmyride.com is one phone app (out of a few on the market) that you can keep track of your rides and fitness. It also links up with MFP too. I would also recommed a bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor. Wrist bands and watches are availabe such as MIO products http://www.mioglobal.com/Shop/Department.aspx?DeptID=1 I would highly recommend one of these as well so you can keep track of your heart fitness level. MIO products can also be found on ebay where you can save a few bucks too. Mapmyride will sync up with a MIO product. Biking for work is one of the best ways for fitness, not to mention that its real good for the environment too. Bike commuters are hero's in my book.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Buy from a bike store. They will be able help you find the right bike for you. Avoid walmart type stores, they are cheap, and mostly crap bikes.
    ^^^ This.
    When you buy from a bike shop, you will have better support and service for the bike AND it will be assembled correctly. Way to many bikes that roll out of stores like Walmart, Target, etc. are assembled incorrectly.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can't just buy a cheap bike, have to look around and find one with weight limit that's well above your current weight, say 350 pounds. Other than that you'll have to get use to it like any other exercise. I started riding again when I was at 250 or so, but worried about bike falling apart because I bought cheap walmart one with 250 pound limit it held and of course at 171.4 pounds it's great now.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I started riding at 250. I bought a Trek Pilot and it never had any problems. Please do not buy a WalMart bike. Mainly because a bike from most of those big box stores are crap, and the people they have assembling them don't have a clue.

If you are riding roads only and you decide to get a mountain bike have them change the tires and get street tires and not knobbiest. The gearing on most mountain bikes make it easier for beginners to pedal. Yes start slow, but you'll be amazed that you'll be able to do the 25 miles faster than you think. Do work up to it though.

A commuter bike (not actually a hybrid) or a touring bike would also be a good choice. With the rough roads, a wider tire makes it easier to deal with. I love to ride, and it is so much easier on your body than running. So go for it!
  • thiosulfate
    Options
    My friend is really into cycling and she's taking me to a bike shop this Saturday! :-) I'm very excited. Is there any program (similar to C25K) where I can slowly build up distance/time?
  • yayamay
    yayamay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the comment above... a bike is a bike is a bike... so not true!!

I agree with the posters that stated not to get one from walmart... stay away from the walmart specials!!! what I look for when purchasing a bike is aluminum frame (lighter and easier to carry if you need to), disk breaks... quick release tires and seat, and make sure you get one where the gear shifters shift nice and smoothly, in case you need to change gears... ie going up a hill or something, nothing worse then getting half way up, needing to change gears and they don't change rapidly...

my current bike is a reebok... it's okay, but never again... my last was an iron horse and I loved it. the only reason I got rid of it was it was way too big for me.

good luck with the bike... I love biking and I have a lot to lose as well!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Title basically says it all... I would like to start riding a bike to work/school but I am afraid that I'll just brake the bike :embarassed: I weigh 289 pounds. I would be biking 8-25 miles per day, depending on my schedule.

You are not too heavy.
  • mom2pandc
    mom2pandc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just retired my target bike for a real bike. I got a Trek from a bike shop and let me be the novice to say there is a big difference. My teeth don't rattle when I change gears. :)
    I also made sure to ask for a girly seat. We girls have different parts and need different padding. :). I highly recommend padded butt shorts as well.
    I found some weight loss stories on bicycling.com that were very inspiring.
    Here is one I found
    http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike
    As for starting out, I tried to start with flatter routes. Less hills gave me a chance to get my body used to the seat and the cycling before I started tackling rolling ground.
    Good luck!