Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    A specialized Hardrock 29er held me at 350
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My brother just got one from here - http://worksmancycles.com/. He's a big guy. I rode it for a bit the other day...felt really sturdy.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was riding my "cheap" Walmart bike at my highest of 280. It was just the cheapest bike they had in adult size, I think I spent like $80 on it. I didn't notice any problems with it, weight or otherwise related. Just know that if you haven't rode a bike in a long time, your backside is going to **HURT** for a week or so after you start.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Click and read the link at the bottom.

It's about a man who started riding at 570. Ernest Gagnon. Truly inspirational.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/a-bicycle-and-a-few-friends-lead-a-big-man-into-an-even-bigger-world_226368
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • DinaStewart
    Options
    Nope, I had seen many people who were riding bikes in spite of being over weighted. Do not think about it. Just start it, at least give a try to it.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I bought bikes for our kids at Walmart and the were not that good. One broke after just a few weeks use and we returned it. So I would agree a bike store would be a better place to buy a bike.

And I think a hybrid of some type might better than a mountain bike. My mountain bike is heavy and the suspension makes it harder to ride on the road. If you do get a mountain bike I would suggest one without suspensions.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You're not too heavy! One of my riding buddies is almost 300 lbs and it doesn't slow him down at all. He can outride pretty much anyone I know. Just keeps pedaling along like a big ol' diesel engine!!

I guarantee once you get out there and ride, you'll love it! It's such a feeling of freedom just to take off and go! I started riding almost 2 years ago and have been hooked ever since.

I rode my hybrid 44 miles last Sunday on a trail that was all gravel, mud and tree roots. This week I have a 2 day 100+ mile ride planned on the same trail. Last year, I got a road bike and rode in the LIVESTRONG Philly. That was awesome!

Have fun!! :drinker:

Oh...and make sure you learn how to change a flat tire and put the bike chain back on!! :happy:
  • Flying_Joe
    Flying_Joe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was riding my hybrid bike a lot at my heaviest weight earlier this year, so at 360lbs. It was just a regular bike and no problems at all. So definitely no issues for you. As others have said, this is a great exercise - low-impact all the way!!

I'm at 255 pounds now and do 2 hour cycles flat out without building a sweat nowadays, so I'm a believer... :)
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm curious what you decided. If you decided to ride, and don't mind sharing, come back and tell us about it. Did you get a bike?
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've seen people bigger than you on bikes and their tires hadn't popped. Get a mountain bike or hybrid - road bikes aren't built as much for comfort and cruisers should come with a coupon for disc brakes and snow tires. Craigslist will be your friend as the box store specials (Huffy, newer Schwinns) aren't as fun to ride on and you can get an old steel frame bike for cheaper than them there.