What Are Some Of Your Calorie Cutting Tricks?

Options
Besides Not Eating of course. For me, I fill a 64 oz. glass pitcher with water and slice fruit every night (oranges, lemons, limes, strawberry, kiwi, peaches, whatever I have). By morning the water is wonderfully flavored and I set my goal to drink it all that day. I never drink soda, diet or otherwise.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have increased my protein to counteract my reduction in calories for weight loss.

I drink plenty of water and also drink Diet Pepsi.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper and mustard! low calorie and lots of flavor
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper and mustard! low calorie and lots of flavor

I agree! Also cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, fresh basil, etc.

Using less cheese on things is a huge benefit to me. My husband and I still regularly make and eat some of my old recipes with tweaks, and one of the biggest things is using less cheese. For example pizza, pasta, Mexican entrees, etc. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese instead of 1 cup or more as recommended.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No trick .... PORTION SIZE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    no cheese, bread, peanut butter, butter, salad dressing, dessert, alcohol
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    Plan all of the calories ahead of time. When you see how much you're allowed to eat, you'll start to ask "am I actually hungry?"
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Plan all of the calories ahead of time. When you see how much you're allowed to eat, you'll start to ask "am I actually hungry?"

Yes, pre-log.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    More protein for my breakfast.
    Portion sizes.
    Balancing carbs/proteins/fats more reasonably.
    Eating out once a week instead of 2 or 3 times.
    Holding myself accountable and logging any 'extras' that I eat or snack on.
    Stopped lying to myself (Oh one more cookie won't make a difference!)
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I couldn't never give up cheese or peanut butter for the rest of my life!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

That sounds miserable.

I use Miracle Whip in my tuna instead of mayo, since it doesn't make too big of a difference to me. Also, I use PB2 when I'm craving peanut butter but know I want more than a couple tablespoons!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I couldn't never give up cheese or peanut butter for the rest of my life!
    If it wasn't for cheese and peanut butter I would starve to death...
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Think I need to be grateful I don't like peanut butter...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    MORE cheese, bread, peanut butter, butter, salad dressing, dessert, alcohol

Fixed
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I make sugar free orange jello and put a can of crushed pineapple in it while it sets (pineapple in it's own juice, not syrup), then top with cool whip lite and it feels like I am indulging in a very delicious adventure :)

Also, green tea throughout the day, and I agree with using spices and herbs to kick up the flavor of foods. I switched to evoo instead of butter and love Greek yogurt.

Agree with balancing carbs, proteins and fats and stay away from high glycemic foods.

Great topic!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not sure if these can be called tricks, but:
    5 meals a day and not eating between meals.
    Portion control. I have reduced the amount of rice, pasta, bread, pizza, fruit, cheese, chips, chocolate, nuts and milk I ingest at a time.
    Frequency. I eat chocolate, chips, cookies, cake, ice cream less often.
    Drink water instead of soda.
    Cook from scratch instead of eating premade.
    Stopped using sugar in tea and milk in coffee.
    Baking fish, meat instead of frying.
    Yoghurt/smoothies w/fruit and nut butters instead of ice cream.
    ETA: I eat better quality food, no low-fat low-cal anything, I'll rather reduce portion size.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Subsitution. I used to drink sweet tea with meals. Now I drink water with lots of lemon. Pick something and subsitute it with something better. Fried foods replaced with baked or grilled. Beef is replaced with chicken and fish, the list is long.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I make sugar free orange jello and put a can of crushed pineapple in it while it sets (pineapple in it's own juice, not syrup), then top with cool whip lite and it feels like I am indulging in a very delicious adventure :)

Also, green tea throughout the day, and I agree with using spices and herbs to kick up the flavor of foods. I switched to evoo instead of butter and love Greek yogurt.

Agree with balancing carbs, proteins and fats and stay away from high glycemic foods.

Great topic!!

That jello sounds so n good! I must make some. Thanks!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I used to always use some form of a carb as a side dish (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice) whereas now, I use veggies. I steam them, roast them, or sautée them and it's amazing how many calories I save for more meat
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I used to always use some form of a carb as a side dish (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice) whereas now, I use veggies. I steam them, roast them, or sautée them and it's amazing how many calories I save for more meat

Me too! :happy:
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with that big time. I try to plan a week ahead for shopping but log the day before. That way I know just what I'm going to eat and can stay within my calorie plan.