What Are Some Of Your Calorie Cutting Tricks?

Options

Replies

• sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I try to buy low calorie things at the grocery store for each craving I have. For example: instead of cakes and ice cream, I will get those applesauce pouches for my sweet tooth cravings.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I used to always use some form of a carb as a side dish (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice) whereas now, I use veggies. I steam them, roast them, or sautée them and it's amazing how many calories I save for more meat

Me too! :happy:

Me three! (well, not meat, but the carbs/veggies bit!

Also I've down massively on butter - I cook with it and have sandwiches/toast fairly often. I realised that 5g is enough to fry some veg/eggs and I don't bother buttering my bread anymore! Also with cheese I've gone from mature to extra mature cheddar and use a lot less but still get the flavour - I find using the small grater tricks my eyes into thinking there's a lot more there even though the scales show there's less.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    No tricks XD. But I guess that glazing vegetables for grilling with low cal cooking spray probably counts. Works like a charm and doesn't rack up the calories like glazing them with olive oil. I enjoy grilled asparagus way way too much.

Oh and topping meals with about 10g of grated Parmesan cheese and 10g of fresh sumac mixed together. Doesn't add to the calories much and provides mucho tasty.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking alcohol. I like peanut butter but never have more than 2 tablespoons in one day. I cook veggies with low cal cooking spray and lots of spices.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    These substitutions started out as a way to deal with some medical issues but they had advantages in the calorie department as well....probably going to be repeating many:

Yoghurt - we make our own. Savoury or sweet options
    Pumpkin instead of Potatoes - nightshade veg was an issue. Advantage lower carbs.....Baked with Cajun seasoning, paprika and parsley.
    Using oil from spay container. With roasted veg put 1-2 tsp oil in a plastic bag with whatever seasonings and shake the veg around it coats them all nicely without the need to sit them in a layer of oil.
    Don't have to deny all your favourite treats but learn new ways with fruit. Baked apples, roasted in a bath of maple syrup, vanilla bean, rum essence, orange zest and juice topped with complimentary flavoured yoghurt all dusted with a mix of sweet spice, cinnamon and ginger is an awesome dessert.
    Don't be afraid to 'play' with flavours and seasonings too......
    Try marinating meats more often then bake, discarding the marinade lovely flavours without extra calories or often the need for tomato sauce, mayo etc.
    The maturer the cheese the less you need for flavour.
    Baking - get into loving your own baked biscuits and slices. Even if the calorie counts are similar I believe what you make at home is always going to be superior quality than store bought or even artisan bakery produced.....also great way to involve everyone in what they eat. Those with kids may find that the littlies (or not so littlies) are more likely to eat what they have helped make.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 2-3 24 ounce bottles of pop a day to one can of diet, drinking water the rest of the time.
    When we have burgers I'll usually go bunless unless the calories I have left are fairly high.
    Weigh everything, especially when you discover that a pint of Ben & Jerrys that says "about 4 servings" is much closer to 5 when you see the weight of the container.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of strawberries. pretty low cal or I have pickles (Polish dill pickles) which are 10 calories per piece.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    plain yellow mustard, all the spices already mentioned. Increase protein. 1 whole egg, and then egg whites, high fiber tortillas & breads, beans and chicken breast with spices, lots of soups, lots of water. I still have my diet coke.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For my sweet tooth, I usually have either a SF fudgesicle (50 calories), chocolate malt pushup from Schwans (90 cal) or a WW raspberry chocolate ice cream on a stick (70 cal, I think). I have it at night while watching tv.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Plan all of the calories ahead of time. When you see how much you're allowed to eat, you'll start to ask "am I actually hungry?"

This ... and it works!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No trick .... PORTION SIZE

This!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My favorite trick is to get out my food scale and measure the food I want to the gram weight of the portion of the item. Sometimes I say "abracadabra" when I do it.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper and mustard! low calorie and lots of flavor

Omg same! herbs and spices everywhere!
    Drinking hot tea with each meal helps me feel full too for some reason xD
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    no cheese, bread, peanut butter, butter, salad dressing, dessert, alcohol

That sounds so sad! Portion control is a great thing and can be learned.

To the OP: My calorie cutting trick? I only eat foods I find tasty. I am a food snob. I think of my calories as a budget. If something is high on calories, but only tastes "okay", then I turn it down and go for something I enjoy more... and usually for less calories. I spend my calories wisely. Once my macro and micro minimums are met, look out because I've got some treats!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum and non-nicotine e-cigarettes in candy flavours
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not a trick but learning how to tweak recipes so you still eat good food that has less calories is the "trick". check out www.ahl4u.com/cooking.html to see what tweaking can do to reduce calories.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've found that buying pre-portioned food really, really helps. Also, separating items into 1 portion each in the fridge or pantry, to help with not eating directly out of the container (ie. nuts).
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Popsicle Sugar Free Fudgsicles are 40 calories and they seriously don't have that after taste like some things do (my husband whos kind of picky loves them...lucky him, he doesn't have to watch his calories)!
    The multi colored Popsicles are *ok* but we can definitely taste the "sugar free" in them :ohwell:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If I told you then it wouldn't be my trick, but I'll give you a hint, you've probably heard of the website for counting something called kaloreez
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Adding "more" to my diet: more water, more fruit, more vegetables. I would add more protein, but apparently I already eat a lot. Doing this sort of crowds out the things I want to eat less of, without feeling deprived.

Also, when I go out to eat, I eat half my meal and take the other half home for lunch the next day. That helps control portion size, but I *feel* like I'm getting more because I get to eat it twice.