Being shocked by your "thin" self

Options
Recently I have dropped down to my goal weight and its great. However, I feel really strange in my own body. A lot of bones stick out that I didn't realize would protrude so much, and I feel way too skinny even though I logically know that I am not. I'm sure its just a matter of getting used to being in your own new skin, but I am just wondering if anyone else has felt this way?

Replies

• erinmlav
    erinmlav Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this post is old but I'm feeling like this too - saggy belly and boobs but bones sticking out where they haven't before. I was stretching and then felt my ribs and was a bit freaked out. I'm 5-6 and 137lbs. I've lost 23lbs. I wasn't expecting these changes/feelings at that weight loss. I know that I'll get used to my new body and being treated like a skinny person but it's a bigger adjustment than I was expecting.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and lost 35lbs. I'm now 126lbs. I couldn't wait to lose the weight but I miss my boobs and hate the fact I can feel my ribcage and hips stick out. ....I am alot healthier which was my aim
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @erinmlav, I love it when people look for posts about what they are thinking about!

I was thin when I was younger. I remembered the bones. I loved them. I loved it when my stomach was concave and so were my thighs. I loved seeing collarbones. Apparently I just loved eating food more. *sigh*

Words cannot adequately express how excited I am that my bones are reappearing 25 lbs from my goal weight. The only thing I'm sad about is that my breasts are no longer well-inflated or um.. gravity-defying. Then again, I'm on the dark side of 35, not 19-21 any more. And I can't say I know many women my age with perky breasts anyway.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @erinmlav, I love it when people look for posts about what they are thinking about!

+1 Nicely done, @erinmlav

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's taking me a while to get used to how things are now.

I've lost 64 lbs / 29 kg since April, and only 4 kg to go, so there's a fair bit of difference to get used to!

The most recent difference I've noticed is that my back is quite skinny.

I was totally in denial about having a fat back, but this is a nice wake-up call.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yes I know the feeling. Although, I also like the feeling of being "fragile"? Bones sticking out makes me feel that way, even though I'm by no means weak.

Not that I need my bones to make me look that way, I'm really small framed.

On one side, I like being "fragile"/boney/thin/small (it makes me feel like a fairy - don't judge the geek!) and on the other side I miss my boobies, sitting down comfortably and so on. Love-hate relationship. :wink: but I'd rather be healthy and confident in my body. I was miserable when I was bigger.
  • tomteboda
    Options
    Yes I know the feeling. Although, I also like the feeling of being "fragile"? Bones sticking out makes me feel that way, even though I'm by no means weak.

On one side, I like being "fragile"/boney/thin/small (it makes me feel like a fairy - don't judge the geek!) and on the other side I miss my boobies, sitting down comfortably and so on. Love-hate relationship. :wink: but I'd rather be healthy and confident in my body. I was miserable when I was bigger.

I get what you're saying 100%. There's a lot of cultural influence going on here. The concept of femininity is strongly correlated with being small & fragile in much of the world. I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly jealous you *can* achieve that. I'm taller than 98% of the women in the world, and more than half of the men. I was even taller when I was young before scoliosis decided to corkscrew my body down. It isn't actual fragility, its the appearance of it that's emotionally compelling. And as you said, fairies. :smile:

I'm tall, and very large-boned. Like, honestly, large bones. My wrists exceed 7" when they're at their boniest. My ankles are well-shaped.. but utterly enormous. I had a roommate who wore a size 4 shoe. We had the same brand and model of running shoe; her shoe fit entirely within mine, easily. As in, she slipped her shoe into my shoe and marveled that it was possible someone could have feet so much larger than hers. I simply marveled that her feet were so tiny! At my thinnest, honestly, I still look like Gulliver in Lilliput (well, not so much where I live now, but when I lived in California I sure felt that way).

• QueenofHearts023
    Options

I get what you're saying 100%. There's a lot of cultural influence going on here. The concept of femininity is strongly correlated with being small & fragile in much of the world. I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly jealous you *can* achieve that. I'm taller than 98% of the women in the world, and more than half of the men. I was even taller when I was young before scoliosis decided to corkscrew my body down. It isn't actual fragility, its the appearance of it that's emotionally compelling. And as you said, fairies. :smile:

I'm tall, and very large-boned. Like, honestly, large bones. My wrists exceed 7" when they're at their boniest. My ankles are well-shaped.. but utterly enormous. I had a roommate who wore a size 4 shoe. We had the same brand and model of running shoe; her shoe fit entirely within mine, easily. As in, she slipped her shoe into my shoe and marveled that it was possible someone could have feet so much larger than hers. I simply marveled that her feet were so tiny! At my thinnest, honestly, I still look like Gulliver in Lilliput (well, not so much where I live now, but when I lived in California I sure felt that way).

Well at least men will be less inclined to mess around with you...I tend to be a target for emotional-players. Because you know, I'm small what can I do? ... **walks to closet and dusts off baseball bat**
  • tomteboda
    Options
    Well at least men will be less inclined to mess around with you...I tend to be a target for emotional-players. Because you know, I'm small what can I do? ... **walks to closet and dusts off baseball bat**

Yeah.... not so true. Those guys mess with every woman, they generally look for targets by spreading a wide net and seeing what fish they catch. They're looking for emotional, not physical, weakness.

• QueenofHearts023
    Options

Yeah.... not so true. Those guys mess with every woman, they generally look for targets by spreading a wide net and seeing what fish they catch. They're looking for emotional, not physical, weakness.

Ah well, it has its advantages and disadvantages. One particular advantage you have over me is you don't have to ask someone in the store to get you something from the top shelf EVERY TIME you go there... :joy:
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near my goal yet, but I was lying in bed last night fidgeting (as I do) and it occurred to me that I could feel my hip bones. Granted they don't stick out or anything, but they were actually feelable, I didn't have to go digging around for them. So now I've been poking my hip bones all day. :D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal weight (actually, I've settled on a little lower weight than I aimed for, but not much) and I have visible collar bones and ribs, and protruding hip bones. I don't like that, I'm not sure if I think it's "ugly", it's just too "body". My boobs are a little bit smaller, which is all right, and I have a slight sag on upper arms, thighs and belly, which is to be expected, after losing over 40 pounds in my fourties. I love my legs and I have ancles!

I got down to this weight 8-9 years ago too, and I can't for the life of me remember noticing collar or hip bones then, I had the same size boobs, no sag, and got rid of cellulites, but at my lowest point (which I sometimes weigh in at now) I had a "crease" on my cheek, that I don't have now. I even felt bad about my "cancles" and big knees. It's just strange, all of it.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

I wear a size 13 wide shoes :(. For an athletic shoe I wear a 12 and a half mens! I tower over everyone, & I completely understand where you're coming from. I will never be small, tiny, or fragile, even though I'm now between a size 8 and 10. (Which are all too short incidentally) :-) I am a lot healthier though!
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As another very tall woman I can relate! When I was younger, I'd say I was 5'11. Now I'll proudly claim my 6'1.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling this way now that I've gotten down to 125lbs at 5'4. I'm right in the middle of what's a normal weight range, but do feel somewhat bony. I've even discovered that I have a freakish extra rib that's protruding. I googled it, and yes....some people have extra ribs...

I think this is how bodies are supposed to feel, but mine has been covered by layers of fat for so long.... On the upside, I'm starting to see some muscle definition from the work I've been doing lifting weights. It's still very alien though. I'm looking forward to the newness wearing off because I'm a bit obsessed with it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Oh...and of course, I'm always FREEZING in winter. And even on slightly cool summer days.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    ALG775 wrote: »
    As another very tall woman I can relate! When I was younger, I'd say I was 5'11. Now I'll proudly claim my 6'1.

I will proudly say I never grew larger than 5'2.. :lol:
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Ah well, it has its advantages and disadvantages. One particular advantage you have over me is you don't have to ask someone in the store to get you something from the top shelf EVERY TIME you go there... :joy:

ROFL!! At only 5ft, I completely empathize! There have been days when I have been frustrated enough to literally climb up grocery store shelves. Talk about embarrassing!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I saw the picture of myself on the left in my profile pic. I wasn't losing much on the scale but when I saw how thin I was I thought....oh....Do I even like that? It looks painful lol.

But yeah, things felt different. Little bones and stuff sticking out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Interesting. The left side of my ribcage has a bump or sticks out farther than my right. I've always been curious about it