Replies

• crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I hated getting called names like this, really crushes your soul
  • 1959sunshine
    1959sunshine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I have never had that done, a few coments to someone else about me, but never to me. People are so unbelievably rude and inconsiderate. Someday, somehow those comments will come back to bite them in the butt, believe me. Dont let people with no morals get to you.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's the same at the other end of the spectrum too. When my sister was underweight complete strangers seemed to think it was ok to make comments about it, or tell her to eat a cheeseburger, etc.

There's a lot of ignorant people out there!
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It is the fact that they are extremes. Extremely fit, extremely skinny, extremely overweight, extremely tall, etc. It seems to be human nature to be uncomfortable with the extremes of life. The only way to cope with that is to comment on it, say mean things, be mentally abusive to justify the fact that in reality, THEY are the ones with the problem. Not the person they are commenting on.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think everyone who is overweight, technically don't have to be overweight, can relate the people saying s*** like this. I started getting man boobs in middle school and it definitely gets in my way.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It's very sad how much this can affect you negatively, even when you lose the weight.

I had comments like that regularly while living back in England, even from my own family. I still look in the mirror and see a fat girl. It upsets my husband more than it upsets me, because it's like the worst thing we can be is fat? That's not right...
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Every day of my life. I can relate to the cartoon very well. It would cause me major distress until I built a wall and would beat them to the punch with self-deprecation. They'd call me "fat", "Fatty", "Piggy", etc and I would easily come up with a dozen other names worse than what they could come up with. In essence, is that the best they could come up with when I can do better. Usually, it would shut them up.
    I lost weight a few years ago and regained due to pregnancies and the bad habit of emotional eating. I'm trying to lose the weight, but I still have my significant other (at times insignificant when he's like this), making comments about how hot I used to be. How skinny I used to be. That hurts more than anything a stranger would say to me. But, the wall is still fully intact.
    People who feel the need to make fun of others are missing something within themselves. To spread the hate like that is inexcusable. We are ALL beautiful souls, beautiful human beings.
    God Speed to those like me trying to make a change for themselves. If you're comfortable with yourself, then be amazing. Much love and peace to you all. Namaste.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've never seen or heard anything like this. Where do you people live that this happens?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've never seen or heard anything like this. Where do you people live that this happens?

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Even when I was 150 lb overweight, I never got anything like this.

I recall maybe 5-6 comments being made about my weight in middle school & junior high, and 2 times that rude things were said about it behind my back and I found out.

I am grateful that I can't relate to this.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had this happen a time or two, but I have the gift of being able to out-insult anyone. Usually I respond to this kind of thing with silence and a very evil smile. You should see them twitch!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Even when I was 150 lb overweight, I never got anything like this.

I recall maybe 5-6 comments being made about my weight in middle school & junior high, and 2 times that rude things were said about it behind my back and I found out.

Lucky for you on not being bullied. It happens everywhere BTW. I remember telling my dad in middle school and his words of wisdom were stand up this them. If you get suspended we both will explain to mom why.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Lucky for you on not being bullied. It happens everywhere BTW. I remember telling my dad in middle school and his words of wisdom were stand up this them. If you get suspended we both will explain to mom why.

How long have you been in middle school? Maybe you should transfer to a different district?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the person who made that comic needs pretty intensive therapy.
  • SallyPDXer
    SallyPDXer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been "fat" all my life and was bullied as a child for it. However, this cartoon definitely does not represent my experience as an adult. Or maybe I have just learned how to block it out really well?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

It clearly does not happen everywhere, because I have lived in many places and never once saw/heard it happen.

Also, you say that as if it's bad advice. Your advice is what, then? Write a comic?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    white-people-themed-parties.png
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No, I can't.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yup. Got this a lot when I was in middle school. I had a name everyone called me that referred to me as not only the tallest in the class (it was a very small class) but also the fattest. I clearly remember being in a video arcade (I know that dates me) and a kid shoving me off the game I was playing saying, "Move over, fatty." I'm sure that person doesn't remember that at all, but it has stuck with me for the past 35 years.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Iowa, USA is a good place to start. Specific towns would be Jefferson, Boone, Ames, Carroll, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids. If you're in Canada, St. John's, NL, is full of this, too.