I want to want to run!

Options

Replies

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Some folks who hate to run, hate it because they are going to hard for the distances they want to run. Take your time, relax, enjoy being outside. Try C25K and keep the pace relaxed.

That being said - some folks just hate running, and if you hate it then you aren't going to stick with it, and you'd be better off finding something more challenging that you actually enjoy. Suggestions - cycling (doesn't have to be as expensive as the cycling forums want you to think), swimming (cheap, fun, still get a good burn), hiking, cross country skiing/snowshoeing, climbing/bouldering, kayaking/rowing
  • mooday
    mooday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My advice:

1. A smartphone can turn running into a game. Apps can help you set goals, tell you what to do in order to build up your endurance. Tell you how you're doing, and track your progress. And give you endless supply of something to listen to, whether its music, audio books, or motivational speaking. Its a given. :)

2. Set goals for yourself. Track your progress! It could be distance, time, or # of workouts per week. Easy to track (See #1) and easy to achieve at first, you will be able to set your goals higher over time and the feeling of accomplishment is ADDICTIVE

3. Embrace normalcy. Nobody who starts off running loves to run. Everyone who loves to run did not start off that way. Stick with it. I have found that after my first 10 workouts that all my excuses have faded away, my goals come first, and now I'm starting to see results and I love the feeling of endorphins and adrenaline. Your body starts to react in amazing ways.

4. Remember these two words: PAIN -- GAIN.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I talked to my trainer and he said that not everyone is a runner, even though MY MIND wants to.

When what he should have said was lets have a look at how you run to work out what's causing that.

Both of those can be sorted in most people through appropriate shoes and working on form, pace and progression.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    So I have had an intense HATE of running for awhile, I mean serious hatred. I am one of those that love most things and overall have a positive attitude....except....for.....running. So I totally feel ya. I would hate it so intensely that while I was running I would say over and over in my brain "I hate running, I hate running, I hate running"....which by the way does not help my running mojo

Now the kinda fix for me:

Don't know if this is possible or if it will work, but I have done a couple things to make running more palatable to me. I have downloaded the app run5k and that has made it much easier for me, I also started running with my son, it makes it sooo much better. I also joined a meet up group for trail running and that has helped a ton. My point, try running with someone, it might make it easier and take your mind off the awfulness of running.

However, running is not the only thing you can do to increase the intensity of your workouts...what about an intense HIIT workout?

Good luck and remember to try to enjoy any of your workouts...its better that way;-)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I hated running mostly because I would start with a two or three mile run when I weighed 50 pounds more and was out of shape. By day three my knees would be killing me and I would stop because my knees are to bad to run. When I hurt my shoulder lifting I needed something to do so I started walking in the mornings. I really enjoy being out before sunrise. A virtual game using GPS on Android phones came out called Ingress. It is a cross between a global version of capture the flag and geocaching. I thought what the heck, it will give me something to do while walking. The more I played the quicker I wanted to cover ground and capture enemy portals. So I started running and walking the short distance between them. That progressed into covering greater distances to get to more remote portals. Without realizing it, I was running about 4 to seven miles on some days. I thought hey, my knees don't hurt and I am really losing weight fast. The game was slowing me down so I switched into running for the sake of running. I now run 25 to 35 miles a week entered my first race, a half marathon, and am eyeing a full marathon for the fall. The thing that I finally did right by accident was to start slow and work up gradually. I am a runner now.

Get an app (Runtastic for me) to track your distance and time, its very motivating.
    Get fitted for some really good running shoes $120~$145 - its worth it
    Get some good moisture wicking clothing like under armour to keep you cool now and warm in the cold
    Get synthetic socks.
    I love my bluetooth headphones for music. I find that the Motorola one allow enough sound through to let me hear cars and people.

Lost all the weight I needed to and maintaining is a breeze now so I ain't stopping. Good luck!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I dislike the first 30 min of my run but absolutely love the hour or so after that. so try and push past the first 30 min and see how you feel. if you don't like it then, than maybe running isn't for you.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I never liked to run in the past, but then discovered C25K. I really enjoyed building up to running longer time periods. I had to repeat some weeks, but that didn't bother me at all. Maybe try it and see what you think.

A fun C25K app might help. I've heard zombie run is fun.

I second couch to five k. If you are hating running you are probably pushing yourself too hard. A program like this will let you safely start running and many learn to love it! There are some podcasts too that change the music between walking and jogging so you do'nt have to keep track of time, which I recommend. Before I started this program I could hardly run 1/2 mile, now I can run 8-9 miles and could probably keep going! Good luck!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I decided one day that I wanted to run a 5K, so I started running. I ran my 5K and I never quit, and I don't really like it that much. I still run 1-3 miles 3 days a week, have no desire to run futher at this point. Who knows if in the future I might decide to run a 10K
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I always considered myself a "sprinter, not a runner"... like sprinting to bases, or for a seven yard pass pattern... but not unlike you, always wanted to try running to push past that plateau... got the C25K program and sounded like a freight train rumbling down the street... then I stopped thinking about my breathing... and found myself surprised at how quickly the "walk" commands would come, and how slowly the "run" commands would start me up again. I'd stretched my runs to about 2.5 miles when I hurt my knee. My original goal was to be able to run 1 mile without stopping. With a wonky knee, and nothing but asphalt to run on, I can't risk it anymore... but have periodic dreams that I am running... in a few short weeks, it became a part of me, and I now miss it dearly.
  • lnichola1
    lnichola1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not currently a runner, but used to (and want to get back into it). When I started it for the first time, I remember feeling challenged by the concept. So as a mini challenge, I would find a location in front of me (say 4 telephone poles down from where I was on the road) and I would tell myself....OK, run to there. And then, when I would get there, I would feel like I could keep going, so I reset the position to another 4 telephone poles down the road. This short-term, instant gratification spurred me in an unbelieveable way. First of all, I never thought I could run--I was never a runner before and just figured I couldn't do it after having been a smoker for way too many years. I got to a point when I was doing this with vigor that I was running 3 miles a day. Then I started developing shin splints and other issues...so I tapered off. That was about 5 years ago. Guess what? The weight I had lost from being an avid runner crept back on which is why I am back to taking better care of myself. So I suggest you set small goals and make sure you have the proper equipment. It is worth the money investing in a good quality pair of running shoes. If you don't, you could set yourself up for injury or unneeded pain. Secondly--be safe--always make sure you have a cell phone with you in case of emergency. I carried mine in my phone and had my earbuds plugged in (music will help keep you moving). Good luck!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like running a lot more now than I use to. I played soccer in high school and that was fine when there was some to do lol.
    When I started working out I wanted to run because I thought it would be something great to overcome because at that point I couldn't. I ran slow. Very slow. Until it got a bit easier and then I would go a bit faster. Now I like running. I wouldn't say love lol. Sometimes I am in the mood and sometimes I am not. I feel like it's something I can do by myself and gives me a chance to think and clear my head. I'm still not the best runner and probably won't ever be but honestly after I am done I feel really good. It's a self-esteem booster to do something I didn't think I could. I am starting the c25k today and going at a faster pace, we'll see how that goes. I do want to run a 5k eventually. Good luck. I would say just try it. You might like it, or learn to anyway ;)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I finally took the advice to just slow the heck down to a pace I could actually maintain.

This is a great post for beginners if you want to read it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I loathed running before and have discovered several things that completely turned it around for me. Now i run 3 times a week and I crave it. I only wish I had more opportunity to to run. Here is what worked for me:

1) Proper shoes and clothes. I ended up wearing vibrams which helped me more as though I were barefoot. It changed my stride in ways that were better for me and made running "flow" more. I have specific issues, so I wouldn't recommend vibrams to everyone, but experiment to find what your skeletal structure needs. Also, the right running clothes to prevent chaffing and riding up. I wear Prefer yoga tops with built in bras (the tighter the top the better for me) and running skirts. Shorts invariably get all caught up in my thighs and the skirt hides my bum
    2)Location, location, location. I only run on trails that I find beautiful. Never streets or treadmills. It changes the whole feel of the run from a chore I must do because I have to lose this fat, to a connecting, almost meditative experience. I usually end a run feeling more in tune with the world around me.
    3)Ditch perfectionism. I used to run with goals in mind like, "I have to run three miles at a 10 min pace and burn at least 300 calories." Not only did this leave me no space to listen to my body, but it made me feel like a failure if I didn't hit all 3 goals. Now I have parameters (I only have 45 min for a run, etc) an my goal is to run within those parameters for as long as it brings me joy. That means sometimes I walk, or run/walk, or sprint, or run slowly, or run super fast and take lots of breaks, or even stop and go home. I have learned that if I begin to get angry with myself on a run, I am about to get a cold or something. My body is telling me that we don't have the resources for a run and I need to rest. Now I listen, I enjoy my runs, and I am much healthier!

Best of luck!
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K last week. I use to run and then got away from it. I like the program, it gets you into it slowly. I'm on week 2 now.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I dislike the first 30 min of my run but absolutely love the hour or so after that. so try and push past the first 30 min and see how you feel. if you don't like it then, than maybe running isn't for you.

This is terrible advice for a beginner! If you're new to running, then trying to go 30 minutes non-stop will only lead to exhaustion and quitting early. If you do make it the full 30 minutes, you'll probably feel terrible and never want to run again. This is a common mistake with beginners: pushing yourself too hard, then quitting because it's not enjoyable.

Your best bet is to start with walking and running intervals (using a program like C25K) to SLOWLY build endurance. Eventually you WILL be able to run 30 (or 60, or 90) minutes, but you'll actually be able to enjoy it.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you're looking for fun cardio, try riding a bike. you get all the cardiovascular benefits of running, but you can probably go at least twice as far and as long than you could if you went for a run. and you don't beat up your legs as much as when running.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I wanted to add running to my exercise options for the long run, I did the C25K training and it was not as bad as I envisioned but I also never hit that moment of nirvana either.

I would offer that of you do something like the C25K training, start slow, really slow - like walking at 3.0 and running at 3.2, it takes a little bit to get comfortable with your stance to run. the first 2 - 5 minutes are the worst but it does get better.

For me I realized that I don't care for the runners body, so I do running intervals as my other exercise option.

Good luck on your running, remember the correct shoes, socks and clothing will also play a major part in your running success!
  • BarbieQLoo
    BarbieQLoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Finishing an event, the feeling, the t-shirt, the medal, the other people.

I think it has a lot to do with when you train, you are typically alone. Then you show up at an event, you realize you were never alone, it's a whole thing!

The first time I ever did a 5K, way back in the 80's, I knew I would always want to run.

Register for a 5K that's a few months out, and get after it.

It's amazing how much difference a $25 registration can make.

I agree with this. I also enjoyed C25K. I love doing the Color Run and it usually supports your local parks.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I started out hating it but once I got to six miles I started to enjoy the solitude and "zen" that goes along with it. The right shoes, the right music and the right environment make all the difference. Oddly, after I finished my first marathon, my interest in running and fitness in general has plummeted. I don't hate it but it's not as rewarding as it used to be. Meh.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I talked to my trainer and he said that not everyone is a runner, even though MY MIND wants to.

When what he should have said was lets have a look at how you run to work out what's causing that.

Both of those can be sorted in most people through appropriate shoes and working on form, pace and progression.

He did ask those things, I should've elaborated a little more I think. He said not everyone is a runner especially when you've never run a day in your life. He did bump up my training though.