For the girls...

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
...and really...I meant literally for the girls...I want a new sports bra!

I looked up in past topics different sports bras but I wanted to kind of rephrase the question in Tara terms. I am a cheap skate. When I went to the running central store to buy my shoes, I saw all kinds of fancy sports bras but I didn't dare look at the price. They looked amazing and I really do want something that will keep those girls in line and out of my way. I'm not too big on top anymore which I appreciate especially with starting to run.

So I guess my question is: Does it matter how expensive the bra is? I see sports bras at wally world all the time. No they don't look as fancy but the price tag is way more my speed. What do I need to look for besides size? Is there a certain way it should fit? I'm not going to wear JUST the bra...unless I want to clear out the track...Let's just say my pregnancy did not leave my belly bikini ready...haha! I'll be wearing a tank top over for sure. I just want to feel secure and boobs be gone...

What would you recommend? :o)

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Good question. I am a total cheap skate when it comes to sports bras, but I have to wear two at once because they offer like zero support on their own. So if you can find the kind that you get at like $5 a pop and need to wear two, then that might be the most economical option..... I am looking into buying some of the freakishly expensive kind, just to see if they can REALLY hold up my girls. They are supposed to be really comfortable too, versus wearing two cheap ones, which digs into my chest cavity after a while. Good luck!
  • i personally loveeeee !!! reebok. they have cheap and REALLY CUTE sports bras. and most sports stores run a sale on reebok items, atleast around where i live. but seriously mine is pink and black, and i love it i hardly feel like i have anything on its so comfy. and i need comfy for these things !! hahaha :blushing: but i would check out reebok if your looking for a name brand, they really do look just like the nike and under armour ones i saw!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    I'm a big girl, so finding a sports bra has been a challenge for me. I've spent $30 on a bra, $20 on a bra... and even $2.99 (on clearance on a bar) and I have 1 bra that I LOVE and wear it all the time.. I got it from Target for $16.99... and I will wash it everyday just so I can rewear it... It holds the girls in and they re cute and fun and the price is just righ and super comfyt!!!!

So I don't think price has anything to do with it...
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    sports bras make me nervous because the shelf is great, but if it doesn't have any wire, i feel out of sorts.

i wear a cotton racerback bra.....it supports me and feels oh so light, then i put on my yoga bra. i got it on clearance somewhere, and i love it! i can wear it alone or under something.

i guess my point is.... it works for me to layer a thin supporting cotton bra with the coverage of the sports/yoga bra.

:bigsmile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I like the ones at Old Navy. They aren't expensive and they are thick and stiff enough that I'm not bouncing around while I work out.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    DEALHNTR here!

As long as you are a C cup or smaller the cheap Walmart ones will be great (D and larger should probably make a bigger investment, ha ha). I have the fruit of the loom ones from Walmart and I also bought a few more when they appeared at a dollar store.

Just make sure you buy the 3-pack with the wide straps, the spaghetti strap ones are cute but I'm sure they will have no support, those ones really are more for young girls growing.
  • I go for the cheap ones. Which I need to get new ones soon...they are worn out (one's getting a hole in the back). I just don't want to go buy new stuff and lose weight and have it be too big.

You could go to the expensive place and try one on and do jumping jacks and whatever you could do in the fitting room to see if they move or not... lol.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    The Champion brand at Target is inexpensive & they seem to hold up well. Also, they are on sale frequently! FYI, you aren't supposed to use fabric softener on sports bras (or any stretchy athletic apparel) as the softener weakens the fabric's ability to hold/gets stretched out quicker.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Regardless of the price the best kind of sports bra you should wear, and the only kind, is one that separates the girls nicely (say no to uniboob!) and that has very little stretch. I know that sounds weird, but when you're running the LAST thing you want is the fabric to stretch out with each bounce!
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    I have also had good luck with the $16.99 Target Bras, but for running I double bra it with a regular non-wire bra underneath. My sister also loves the Target bras so much she wears them all day at work because they are comfier than regular bras.
    Enell are supposed to be the best support but they are pricey.
    Champion's online site has a good sale on at the moment and people rave about their support.
    I have has good luck searching at Marshalls for higher end bras at half price (or Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx & Ross). Never pay full price :) Also, I find Nike brand too constraining.
  • You might also want to try TJ Maxx or Ross Dress For Less. I buy my athletic wear there all the time. Maybe it's "last season's" jogging shorts, but it makes absolutely no difference in the gym! Plus they usually have nicer brands like Nike or Reebok for less. Haven't bought a sports bra from the yet, but I have bought yoga pants and some tops.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    i buy mine at wal-mart...fruit of the loom. 3 for $15 (canadian)
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Talking to my trainer and doing research has given me the impression that the walmart/target stretchy sports bras really dont do much for providing any real support. Now Im no expert. Just going on what ive read/heard. I went to Lane Bryant and got one that comes with an underwire (and its not at all uncomfortable) and is made out of breathable material. I wear a 38 DD so I can definitely tell the difference when doing jumping jacks or any type of jumping exercise for that matter. It is something that, if you are going to be exercising a lot, you want to invest some money in just to keep the ta tas on the chest and not dropping down to your ankles for awhile longer.
  • I have had great luck with the Hanes Brand at Wal-mart and my girls are DD. They usually sell them 3 for $15.

So imo.....you don't have to go expensive.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    I have a really small chest, so probably not the best one to listen to for advice... but I have still been through my share of sports bras after reading an article that even flat chested ladies can sag up to 90% more by not wearing a 'proper' sports bra! Scary stuff!

The best bras I have found are the side fastening Shock Absorber ones... however I, like you am also tight when it comes to this sort of thing! (Don't mind splashing the cash on dresses and handbags people see, but who's going to be checking out your sports bra??) I have got all of mine from TKMaxx. They were RRP £35.00 and I got them for £7.99

Not sure if you have that in the US...but seens as you get everything first I figure you must have something similar at least! :laugh:
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    It all depends on what exercise you are doing- if you are running you should go for something not in cotton but in a dri-fit material, instead of cotton. Are you doing yoga etc and you are not that big, you probably don't have to worry too much about material or keeping the girls really tight...

Do you have an outlet nearby, I would really recommend Nike's bras. They have a lot of different options. I bought a great one for just under $20 (which for me is really cheap, since the same one costs €50 where I live) and it is so comfortable and really doing the job. I have DD and this one is good even when I run!

Good luck!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 526 Member
    Talking to my trainer and doing research has given me the impression that the walmart/target stretchy sports bras really dont do much for providing any real support. Now Im no expert. Just going on what ive read/heard. I went to Lane Bryant and got one that comes with an underwire (and its not at all uncomfortable) and is made out of breathable material. I wear a 38 DD so I can definitely tell the difference when doing jumping jacks or any type of jumping exercise for that matter. It is something that, if you are going to be exercising a lot, you want to invest some money in just to keep the ta tas on the chest and not dropping down to your ankles for awhile longer.

I will have to go there and check them out. I have yet to find one that fits my DD's comfortably...let alone actually supporting them!! :sad:
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    I like the Champion ones from Target. I think they're about $15? I'm not very big either, and these work great!
  • The Champion ones from Target would nice if you are a size B or smaller. I was there until I got pregnant with my 2nd child and need more support. I was wearing a very supportive sports bra from Victorias Secret and that worked great. But...let me tell you, it wasn't cheap. You can get them for less if you wait for the clearance sales though. I wear two of the Champian brand sports bras at once and that seems to do the trick. Since I'm still nursing I need the mega support. I can't wait until my breast are back to Bs again!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    The Champion ones from Target would nice if you are a size B or smaller. I was there until I got pregnant with my 2nd child and need more support. I was wearing a very supportive sports bra from Victorias Secret and that worked great. But...let me tell you, it wasn't cheap. You can get them for less if you wait for the clearance sales though. I wear two of the Champian brand sports bras at once and that seems to do the trick. Since I'm still nursing I need the mega support. I can't wait until my breast are back to Bs again!

Ahh see I was just going to say that the Champion ones from Target are junk unless you're doing yoga or pilates. I'm a 34B (or so...I think I might be a 32B now) and the Champion bras don't absorb any sweat AT ALL. I feel like I've gained 3 pounds during my workouts due to the fact that they don't wick away anything. Blah. So I use them for non-impact workouts or if I'm lazy and lounging around the house. I love the Nike Pro bras.
This discussion has been closed.