Weight Watchers VS Calorie Counting

Options
2»

Replies

• Beccas_Life
    Options
    I've used WW off and on for years and am now trying MFP... honestly, I prefer MFP ~ the food database is a lot better, it's free, and the people on here have been very supportive. With that said, maybe you should try both simultaneously to see which one you prefer :smile: It's all about your comfort level.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was on WW last year (meetings and online) and after six months I switched to here after deciding to log onto this account and track my macros. I tracked on both for about a month and within a few weeks I decided to cancel my WW membership. The thing that really sold me on it was how much better this site is. The food database is bigger and items are easier to find and on top of that it's free. WW's outdated website and food database was always a pain.

Another thing that I like about MFP is that their forums are a lot more active and not restricted like the one on the WW website. At least here people can share links.

One more thing that really stood out was that after I started reading the forums on MFP was the lack of emphasis on fitness with WW. The only time it was really promoted was when their Active Link was on sale. It just made more sense for me to switch to a better product that I didn't even have to pay for.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I loved WW - it was the first thing that clicked for me when I was young. I lost 92 pounds with it, but the problem was that it got so costly. Also, I had a different sense of accountability.

Now, I use MFP only because I can use what I learned from WW and apply it to my meals. Both ways worked for me. It's about what makes sense to you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "Do you have MFP set up to calc Points?"

How do you do this?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp?hl=weight+watchers+points&page=19#posts-20300387

jkal- I totally agree.

Bianca- It's not the protein the Points calc penalizes, it's just the fat. They encourage protein and fiber. Alcohol now has a big penalty, too.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    ***** "However, I have grown tired of the points plus system and find it tedious to have to calculate a points value for each food, especially when it comes to eating out. With MFP" ******

Uh-oh ...... not a good thing to see/hear the words "tired" and "tedious" ........ when we start to feel that way, then it's time to change things up a bit ....... kick it up a notch, as Emeril says !

But no matter what we do, we NEVER give up, we keep on truckin' !

Best of luck to you :drinker:
  • lstkchri
    lstkchri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you can afford WW, there is nothing wrong with using that for the meetings and support that you get, while using MFP for your tracking of calories. No one has to know that you are not using the points system. This way, you can get what you need from each - having a personal program that suits your needs. Good luck!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers worked miracles for me. I didn't consider it expensive as I stopped putting out extra money for crappy food and instead directed that cash towards my monthly WW cost.

Once I lost all my excess weight and was able to maintain, Weight Watchers was free to attend.

I don't know too much about the new Point Plus system as I was a member in the old days where fruit had points attached, and most, but not all, veggies were 0.

I did Point tracking and MFP together for the first couple of weeks here but discovered that MFP was quite a bit easier and I could monitor my specific intake a lot better. I learned how to eat what I considered quality foods on WW and MFP helped me see that I'm on the right track.

I think pretty much anything will work as long as you're eating what your body needs and it doesn't feel like a burden to keep it up.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I prefer WW but it's really individual preference. I find points easier to deal with than calories. I know I have 10 points left for the rest of the day and I know what my usual foods are, point-wise. Plus it encourages me to eat fruits and veggies, and I need that encouragement. I'm not one to overindulge on produce - if I were, WW would not be for me.

I do like MFP for keeping track of protein. And the fact that it's free. But WW works better for me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I used WW to kick start my weight loss and I did enjoy it. It was simple, I didn't have to shell out excess cash for their food (I did JC back in college - and lost with them as well).

I decided to start using MFP when my plan with WW was coming to an end, and found that I liked it better. But do whatever works best for you, I did WW online, so I never went to a meeting. I'm not someone who needs extra encouragement, but when I do, I come here or my Insanity FB workout group.

You can do both, like others have suggested. You wouldn't be putting out any excess cash bc MFP is free.
  • fishingwoman
    fishingwoman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I prefer MFP... because it's free

*this
  • gypsyangel12
    gypsyangel12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done both and either works for me. I like that MFP is free and has a huge, although not always accurate, database. The thing I really miss in MFP is the ability to "bank" some calories each day--like the WW weekly points--toward giving me some flexibility on other days. I know that I can do this "unofficially," but would like to track and use "officially" as you can in the WW online system. I haven't found an online calorie-tracker that allows this flexibility other than WW.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I kind of do that. There is a nice chart of 30-day average calorie burn and intake on the Fitbit profile page that I've used a lot in the past. The MFP 'reports' page of calorie burn is nice, too. I can see my daily intake sort of oscillate around my goal. It's not so much banking calories, though, as just letting them vary according to my appetite and other conditions from day to day, but trying to hit near my goal deficit over time, on average, or near it.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost (and continue to lose) most of my weight as a WW meetings member since Feb 2013. I started out only counting points and occasionally logging in to MFP for macro checks and curiosity about the number of calories I was eating. To make a really long story short, I now still go to WW meetings, follow the WW program’s food and exercise guidelines (daily # of veg/fruit, dairy, water, healthy oils, 30+ minutes exercise, etc) but I count calories instead of points.

I have a really great leader and a big diverse group where I learn a lot but as I inch closer to goal the points+ daily target of 26 was too low to be manageable for me. I let MFP set my goals based on 1 lb a week - lightly active and it greatly improved my quality of life! The only issue that I struggle with is how to translate my Activelink activity points earned into calories. WW starts with a much lower daily total to allow for how people manage zero point fruits and veg and usage of the 49 point weekly allowance. I have been playing it safe by only eating back any points over the 5+ thresholds and calculating any over 5 at 35-40 calories added back.

TL/DR: I still go to WW meetings but use MFP as the tool to log my food and set calorie targets.