Can you work out in the morning before a colonoscopy?

Options
2»

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten good advice. Good luck on your procedure. :smile:
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My dear, you will not want to risk the chance of liquid poo running down your leg.

And you'll be pretty empty, so I do not recommend it.

Before my colonoscopy, I did not even want to get in the car.

Pretty much this. I keep having to run to the bathroom all night and up until the procedure itself usually (I've had a couple colonoscopies). Stock up on good bathroom reading material, that's my advice.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend not...
    Main reason is that the procedure forces you to "clean out" the day beforehand. Regret to say I have firsthand experience with this...I was still going a lot the day of the procedure (mine was in the morning). Not only that, but the procedure is fasting, so you might not have much energy to be exercising AND you couldn't take in any fast acting carb or protein after exercise for recovery.

One day won't kill you. I'd recommend taking the day to rest.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Actually it is not that bad.
    You will get a sedative and whatever you remember will be more like the remembrance of a dream.
    And it is not really humiliating.
    Just be thankful for the opportunity :-)
    Agreed! I hope we all didn't give the impression that the test itself was rough. It's not a pleasant thing to go for, but not a big deal.

It's the prep. The night before. That's the thing that sucks.

But don't cancel or anything because you're worried about the test. I hope we didn't scare you off!
    +3 It is not that bad and beats the heck out of undetected colon cancer. Not something to repeat regularly but in the interest of your health, a minor price to pay. Good luck to you - hope all goes well.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... Stock up on good bathroom reading material, that's my advice.

And don't forget good, gentle toilet paper. Get rid of the generic and squeeze the Charmin' for the night.

Be at home near the bathroom when you take the first dose of the stuff. Do not plan to go more than 20 feet from a bathroom for the next few hours. Relax, you will not actually sh-t your brains out. The first dose may take a few minutes to start the festivities or wait a few hours before the show starts. Mine started almost instantaneously, hubby's bod waited until the middle of the night to get going so he saw lots of infomercials he didn't know existed. At least the humiliation aspects occur in the privacy of your own home and only take a coupla-few hours to completely empty you out.

Sleep until it's time to go for your appointment. Then relax. They will mostly put you out for the procedure and you'll wake up wondering what's for lunch.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!! I do Bodypump, and I officially declare you an addict! Don't feel bad, I'd try to do the exact same thing!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The morning of a colonoscopy you will probably be slighly dehydrated from the stuff we make you drink and you will be NPO since midnight and clear broth before that....so no, you will not have enough energy for a work out. You need to be well rested and hydrated before the procedure.
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    lol, you'll be lucky if you can leave the bathroom for more than five minutes after taking the prep solution! Seriously, if you're feeling okay, go work out. But I wouldn't plan on it. :flowerforyou:
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support everyone! I know, one day won't hurt to miss Body Pump. I just like my routine. :)

And thank you for the reminder that this is good that I could wait until now to have the procedure. I'm not too worried about it, just glad that it will be done and my doctor can find something else to "suggest". Then she said that I won't have to do it again for 10 years, if everything is good. I was going to ignore her advice, but I'm trying to lose weight and get more fit/strong so that I'm healthy. Why not make sure the insides are healthy too?

Again, thanks for the help!
  • Elizabeth85Jones
    Options
    The morning of a colonoscopy you will probably be slighly dehydrated from the stuff we make you drink and you will be NPO since midnight and clear broth before that....so no, you will not have enough energy for a work out. You need to be well rested and hydrated before the procedure.

Yes morning work out makes you hydrated and fit whole day, one can go for supplements also.