which greek yogurt brand is better?

Options
i have been going to various stores and all the greek yogurt brands i see are oikos, fage, and the greek gods.
which one is healthier and least expensive?
are there other brands out there that might be better than these 3 brands?
thank you for your time.

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you can find Dannon fit & light, those are all the rage right now because of the macros. Unfortunately, my grocer doesn't carry it so I have to get Yoplait Source which has great macros too, 50 cal 8 protein, 4 carbs, 0 fat per 100g.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I like the ingredients, taste and texture of Fage plain, but unless you can find it on sale, it's not cheap. I don't typcially like the flavored yogurts out there, but I recently stumbled on Tillamook Farmstyle Greek (raspberry or vanilla) and the ingredients aren't too bad, and tastes great. About the same price as Fage though.

There was a post recently with lots of suggestions...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1324919-favorite-greek-yogurt
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage when I can afford it but usually Yoplait Greek 100 because there are always coupons.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit GREEK yogurt has the least amout of sugar. And it tastes awesome.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cabot Greek Yogurt is my favorite.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit which I am sure other people have suggested. I don't know if its healthiest because to me any greek yogurt would be healthy. I mean it's Greek yogurt, not a chocolate bar (which can be part of a healthy diet too).

Here are some flavors I love:
    Toasted coconut: taste like vanilla icing
    Vanilla
    Key lime: great with grahams
    Peach
    Cherry chocolate: NOT the raspberry chocolate...hated that one
    Caramel Machiatto: only available at Target
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    i have been going to various stores and all the greek yogurt brands i see are oikos, fage, and the greek gods.
    thank you for your time.

Define "healthier" ........

I would look at the ingredient list.

Some Greek yogurt has fake sugar.....Dannon Light & Fit. Many people wouldn't call fake sugar healthy.

Some "Greek" yogurt is fake.....it's not strained, but has added proteins. Yoplait used to be fake.....not sure if it's strained now.

I like Chobani.....ingredients that I can pronounce. But it just depends upon what you deem "healthy."
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    thank you for your time.

I prefer non-fat plain Greek yogurt, and I add different flavors protein powder and fresh fruit. Sometimes, I throw in a few TBSs of rolled grains, and put it in the fridge as overnight oats for breakfast.
    Whatever is on sale works for me. Not sure where you are located, but if there's a Walmart, there is their Great Value brand, and it's always the lowest price.
    The flavored kinds have a lot of extra garbage on the nutrition label, if you read through. And they are always higher in calories, too.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "discerning" palate, so I just buy the plain stuff (in the big 2lb containers), usually the store brand, or whatever one is on sale at the best price. Sometimes I get the fat free sometimes it's the 2%.

Plain is nice, since we can add fruit or granola or muesli ourselves, or use it plain as a sour cream sub (it's great on Mexican food and on baked potatoes).

Basically, I say they're all good. Buy the one you want at the best price you can find.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fage is the only actual Greek brand out of the ones you named and is usually the highest quality Greek yogurt most American grocery stores carry. It tastes like Greek yogurt in Greece which is to say, it's thick and very tart. The American brands tend to be sweeter and are available in various non-fat/sugar-free versions. I do like Dannon's Light n Fit Greek even though it's very artificial tasting.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Fage Total.
    Real greek yoghurt.
    Only one I can digest as a lactoseintolerant :D
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I love Fage plain, full-fat especially, but I also keep the 0% fat on hand. I add vanilla or almond extract, stevia, fruit, and nuts. The flavored Fage is pretty good too, but I haven't seen it in full-fat.
  • baminian
    baminian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy my tubs of Fage at Costco. Best price for the stuff. And I'm lovin' the macros.
  • leen311
    leen311 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like fage and chobani. I usually eat them plain because I don't like flavored yogurt, but I have tried the honey flavored chobani and that's pretty good. I also like the fage that comes with honey in a side compartment that you can mix in yourself.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I use the Great Value at Walmart, less then $4 for a tub Greek yogurt.
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fage is my favorite.
  • chicagoliz
    Options
    I love the Fage strawberry goji and the Chobani Key Lime Pie Crumble. Also the Chobani Coffee Dark Chocolate Chip, which is only available in 100 calorie tubs, which are smaller than the typical greek yogurt sizes.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in more for Fage --- I've tried 6 or 7 different brands and Fage continues to be the best.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like fage but it's not cheap so I buy it and eat it on occasion and put it in my smoothies too!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    One more vote for Fage. I also like flavored yoghurts, and Greek Gods are among the best tasting ones I've had. Oh, and there is Noosa. Not exactly Greek, in fact it claims to be made using a secret Australian recipe - and it tastes awesome!