Any advice for a short term low calorie diet?

Options
Just to jump start my weight loss I want to go on a low calorie diet: between 1000 and 1200 calories. Im going to alternate having a fruit/veggie smoothie between breakfast one day and lunch the other (homemade with fresh fruits, veggies) and also I'm going to include whole grains such as brown rice and whole grain breads. As far as meats go mainly fish, shrimp and chicken breast and once or twice a week pork. I also plan on walking a few times a week for atleast an hour and doing about 30 mins of otjer exercise (crunches sit ups, light weight lifting) 4 times a week. I only plan on doing this lower calorie diet for 2-3 weeks and then gradually working my way back to a normal calorie diet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on vitamin supplements to also include??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a jumpstart? Are you a motorcycle?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories beyond a normal deficit for weightloss is usually a bad idea...it can lead to binging because you're going to be REALLY HANGRY. Generally, you should eat the way you intend to eat for the rest of your life, but just cut back portions to the point that you maintain a healthy deficit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jump starts are a silly fad invented by people trying to sell things. Just start doing it the way you intend to continue doing it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Advice: Don't do it. Your body doesn't need a jumpstart, and when you start adding calories back in, you'll either see no movement on the scale or you'll show a gain, both of which are discouraging. Plus you'll be a moody, cranky mess going from a surplus or maintenance to such a drastic deficit.

Just have a healthy deficit, eat back a portion of your exercise calories, get sleep, drink water, make sure you're hitting your macros and micros, and be happy. Weight loss doesn't have to be agony.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ive done it, high protein & lots of veggies!
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    When I first started I did an unintentional "jump start." Lost about 5 lbs quickly. Binged over the weekend. Gained it all back. Lost it all slowly. Look at my graph. P. Moral of the story: I could have done without the jump start and so should you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just to jump start my weight loss I want to go on a low calorie diet: between 1000 and 1200 calories. Im going to alternate having a fruit/veggie smoothie between breakfast one day and lunch the other (homemade with fresh fruits, veggies) and also I'm going to include whole grains such as brown rice and whole grain breads. As far as meats go mainly fish, shrimp and chicken breast and once or twice a week pork. I also plan on walking a few times a week for atleast an hour and doing about 30 mins of otjer exercise (crunches sit ups, light weight lifting) 4 times a week. I only plan on doing this lower calorie diet for 2-3 weeks and then gradually working my way back to a normal calorie diet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on vitamin supplements to also include??
    No, no, noooooo. No offense intended, but your plan is ridiculous, and there is no need to jump start anything.

Go into MFP, enter your data, and let MFP set a calorie goal for you, eat at a moderate deficit and you will lose weight. You have only 25 pounds to lose so pleas choose to lose 1 pound a week.

Your avatar with your little one is adorable! :smile:
  • mrzmami88
    mrzmami88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eeeeerk I guess I never really thought of it that way! I did this before but in a very unhealthy way, lost 10lbs in like 3 weeks, but I was hardly eating and was exercising 1-2 hours a day 5 days a week. I figured if I kept my calorie intake between 1000-1200 a day (probably closer to 1200 than not) but did it smarter by making sure im eating right and balanced it would b ok.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Eeeeerk I guess I never really thought of it that way! I did this before but in a very unhealthy way, lost 10lbs in like 3 weeks, but I was hardly eating and was exercising 1-2 hours a day 5 days a week. I figured if I kept my calorie intake between 1000-1200 a day (probably closer to 1200 than not) but did it smarter by making sure im eating right and balanced it would b ok.
    1000 -1200 calorie is too few calories. You're a busy mom with an infant, and you're opting to exercise. You don't have that much to lose either. Slow and easy does it, and before you know it you will hit your goal.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    It's not that it can't be done. It's just not needed and will probably result in a waste of time. Your plan seems like you'd be basically working your body from a 0 or negative calorie amount. That's just unhealthy. Your exercises and your day-to-day activities will eat those 1200 calories up so fast, especially if you have to take care of a little one! If you don't have a lot of nutrition background, you are probably better off letting MFP set your amount and make sure you are always eating the amount it sets as your NET (not total).
  • mrzmami88
    Options
    And I honestly dont plan to do it strictly 1000 a day, most days will definitely be in the 1200 range. MFP put me at a 1200 calorie intake to meet my goal, so I thought to speed it up a little, some days id lessen my intake.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Just make sure it's 1200 NET not total. 1200 is a standard BMR set for women. 1200 is needed by your body to make your lungs breath in oxygen, your heart beat, etc. So if you burn 400 calories at a workout, then you need to eat 1600 calories that day.

Some people whose daily goal is above their BMR don't have to eat back exercise calories. People who are at their BMR do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    And I honestly dont plan to do it strictly 1000 a day, most days will definitely be in the 1200 range. MFP put me at a 1200 calorie intake to meet my goal, so I thought to speed it up a little, some days id lessen my intake.
    Okay, you gotta slow down here. :wink: You entered data into MFP that you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, and the default is 1200 for practically anybody. That's too aggressive for someone who wants to lose only 25 pounds because in the long run it will not be sustainable, just like your 1000-1200 calories will not be sustainable.

Faster is not better when losing weight, unless you doctor has advised you otherwise for health issues.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    All day soup. There was a post on it a long time ago, and it had a recipe.

I do this once in a while. It helps so I know what you mean
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No.
  • mrzmami88
    Options
    I hear u! I am pretty active without including exercise weekends!

Also my weakness is weekends and wine! Lol im really only counting m-f f my actual "diet days" bc most weekends i eat what I want (I dont binge by any means) but pizza,r burgers and dogs, bbq ribs. But i do my best to include salads in my meals and use portion control. And I drink beer and wine which is my down fall! On a crazyweekend I can down a gallon wine with my friends and a case of beer in a night :( lol

Edit: using a phone for this sucks btw
  • WLG1974
    Options

No.

YES
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

No.

YES

No, go home WLG1974. You're drunk. :drinker:
  • WLG1974
    Options

No.

YES

No, go home WLG1974. You're drunk. :drinker:

Grow up.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    YES

No, there is no magic in that soup. It's a low calorie soup which, even if you eat plenty of it throughout the day, will never be enough to reach sustainable calorie needs.

It's a calorie deficit that will make a person lose weight, not the "all day soup," or "anytime soup," as it is also called. It is meant to be a filler in between whatever else a person eats throughout the day.

Moderate calorie deficit does it every time.