"Clean" banana pudding

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2013/07/momofuku-milk-bar-banana-cream-pie.html

For the Banana Cream Filling:
    (makes about 3 cups, enough for one 10-inch pie)

3 super ripe bananas (see baker's note above)
    1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup heavy cream, separated
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder
    2 tablespoons water
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
    1 cup confectioner's sugar

Do you know the serving size and calories in this????

When i made the pie it came out to be around ~3,500 cals, served 1

Ouch, that's why I will stick with the OP recipe, but thanks anyway...

Well, in all fairness, he is saying that the entire pie is 1 serving.

The OP recipe is probably pretty good, but it isn't really pudding. It's greek yogurt with some stuff in it. And it certainly isn't "clean".

I just like to stay under a certain amount of calories, and too much for me.. To each his own.. I love Greek yogurt also so would prefer that..

It's a 10" pie shell - do you really think that it serves just one? I'm sure you could eat it all with a spoon (YUM!) - but you could also make 6 - 8 slices.

If you haven't noticed here esp in the recipe section people try to minimize cals instead of maximizing flavor and eating less volume. It's why you have crappy recipes that bastardize perfectly good dishes in the name of lower cals all around here

So you justify having a piece of pie that is approximately 600 calories better for you than the OP recipe? Come now , even you can't think that is the better choice... We all know probably which tastes better, but isn't this site aimed at losing the weight and making better choices, sigh...I personally don't want to see the macros on this one...just my opinion

Depends on your criteria for better. Put the pie I linked to vs the ops in a blind taste test and the actual pie would win hands down. Take any if the numerous crappy low cal recipes posted here against a legit version with a focus on maximizing flavor and I'm willing to wager the low cal versions get destroyed. It's a totally different mindset, I cook to maximize flavor and that doesn't mean trying to reign in cals. I order food the same way, I order what I think will taste the best with potential calorie count never coming into play.

Anecdotally if you look at the people who are posting these low cal abominations, they have less then admirable physiques, so what is all this sacrificing of flavor in the name of cals doing for them?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    http://www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2013/07/momofuku-milk-bar-banana-cream-pie.html

For the Banana Cream Filling:
    (makes about 3 cups, enough for one 10-inch pie)

3 super ripe bananas (see baker's note above)
    1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup heavy cream, separated
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder
    2 tablespoons water
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
    1 cup confectioner's sugar

Do you know the serving size and calories in this????

When i made the pie it came out to be around ~3,500 cals, served 1

Ouch, that's why I will stick with the OP recipe, but thanks anyway...

Well, in all fairness, he is saying that the entire pie is 1 serving.

The OP recipe is probably pretty good, but it isn't really pudding. It's greek yogurt with some stuff in it. And it certainly isn't "clean".

I just like to stay under a certain amount of calories, and too much for me.. To each his own.. I love Greek yogurt also so would prefer that..

It's a 10" pie shell - do you really think that it serves just one? I'm sure you could eat it all with a spoon (YUM!) - but you could also make 6 - 8 slices.

If you haven't noticed here esp in the recipe section people try to minimize cals instead of maximizing flavor and eating less volume. It's why you have crappy recipes that bastardize perfectly good dishes in the name of lower cals all around here

So you justify having a piece of pie that is approximately 600 calories better for you than the OP recipe? Come now , even you can't think that is the better choice... We all know probably which tastes better, but isn't this site aimed at losing the weight and making better choices, sigh...I personally don't want to see the macros on this one...just my opinion

Depends on your criteria for better. Put the pie I linked to vs the ops in a blind taste test and the actual pie would win hands down. Take any if the numerous crappy low cal recipes posted here against a legit version with a focus on maximizing flavor and I'm willing to wager the low cal versions get destroyed. It's a totally different mindset, I cook to maximize flavor and that doesn't mean trying to reign in cals. I order food the same way, I order what I think will taste the best with potential calorie count never coming into play.

Anecdotally if you look at the people who are posting these low cal abominations, they have less then admirable physiques, so what is all this sacrificing of flavor in the name of cals doing for them?

Totally agree. I lost 54 lbs before coming here and I lost the weight by substituting higher calorie recipes with lower calorie. Yes, the full fat, full calorie wins hands down. The point I was trying to make is I, personally can't have this everyday or I will be back where I started from. If that works for you and makes you happy, then by all means eat it. I have 11 lbs to lose and my physique is pretty good also. We each have to do what works for us..
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    You're all missing the point. Banana pudding does not, in any version of any universe, belong in a pie shell.