Argh! This is terrifying 0_0

Options
Having reached my goal weight I have decided to up my calories to 1500 per day to start maintaining (will up more later but I don't think all at once is a good plan). Did not realise how terrifying a plan this was. I haven't even been dieting that long - it's been on and off for the past few months but my latest restrictions lasted for between 3 and 4 weeks. Even in this short space of time, I have become used to a 1200 calorie limit and the prospect of eating 1500 per day seems absolutely terrifying! Anyone else get this, and if so, how long does it take to go away?!

Replies

• sweetcocobunny
    Options
    Yes, I completely understand~ Try to fill your last 300 calories with things like fruit. It helps ease your anxiety and its good for you anyways. :)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    why not add just 100 calories and see how it goes for a few weeks? if you keep losing after a few weeks, add another 100. if not, you can leave your calories at 1300.
  • mlconroy1066
    mlconroy1066 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im afraid I have a real love affair with eating. Been using MFP since May 2, have lost nicely (18 #) and am pleased with the outcome but must say that I struggle with getting really really angry or depressed that I "can't" eat the way I want to, especially around suppertime. I dream of pigging out on carbos, and not necessarily bad ones - homemade bread, spaghetti, potato soup, popcorn, an entire canteloupe. My husband is a great inspiration - he uses MFP too and is very successful with it- and he is supportive and understanding. I wonder why I have such an attachment to food.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    I would suggest slowly raising your calories over the course of a week (so 50-60 per day). The big advantage of the slow approach is that it avoids major weight spikes which can cause negative psychological effects. The disadvantage is that it’s less fun and means you have to be meticulous about your food intake the whole time (but you're probably used to that by now, heh). However, this can help with food control, as many individuals are completely unaware of what their actual food intake is (or how much, or little, food actually
    represents maintenance levels) and having to be very aware of your food intake on a day to day basis (at least initially) can act as a teaching tool and help with changing long-term eating habits. Hope this helps...