Options
    Guys.

Anecdotal evidence >>>>>>>> science.

Who needs science anyway? This guy?

36083310.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's certainly NOT bad for you. Nutritionally it provides hydration. Discounting any negligible calories, or an allergy to an ingredient in the soda, it's identical to drinking water from a hydration and health standpoint.

I'm sorry, but you are uneducated and WRONG! (Or delusional) I know I sound like a jerk, and I am sorry for that.

All soda is bad for your teeth. It leaches calcium from your BONES. It messes with your metabolism. Still can't decide if diet soda is right for you? Take a day. Watch people - at mini mart - McDonalds - anywhere soft drinks are available. Now keep a tally. People that order diet soda. People that look healthy vs people that look unhealthy. You will notice that a huge portion of people that are drinking diet soda on a regular basis are severely overweight. The fact that they have no calories is not helping these people keep the weight off. I think aspartame and many of these other "sweeteners" should be banned.

So.

I look unhealthy?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Soda, in particular of the cola variety, is poor for your health because it's acidity alters pH levels of the body until the body can regulate and equalize back to homeostasis.

--

W. Tramontana | NREMT

That's not how it works. If it were, all citrus fruits would be poor for your health. Your stomach acid has a lower pH than cola does, and you handle that just fine.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's certainly NOT bad for you. Nutritionally it provides hydration. Discounting any negligible calories, or an allergy to an ingredient in the soda, it's identical to drinking water from a hydration and health standpoint.

I'm sorry, but you are uneducated and WRONG! (Or delusional) I know I sound like a jerk, and I am sorry for that.

All soda is bad for your teeth. It leaches calcium from your BONES. It messes with your metabolism. Still can't decide if diet soda is right for you? Take a day. Watch people - at mini mart - McDonalds - anywhere soft drinks are available. Now keep a tally. People that order diet soda. People that look healthy vs people that look unhealthy. You will notice that a huge portion of people that are drinking diet soda on a regular basis are severely overweight. The fact that they have no calories is not helping these people keep the weight off. I think aspartame and many of these other "sweeteners" should be banned.

You don't sound like a jerk, you just sound like a mom who buys into every wives tale.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    You drink it, and you pee it out.
    :noway:
    And I suppose that all food is just something that you eat and crap out - RIGHT? Your body is only a tube through which food and drink take a few hours to get through. EVERYTHING that you put in your body has an effect. The nutrients that you put in are important, but it is equally important not to remove nutrients. DIET SODA REMOVES CALCIUM FROM YOUR BONES. If I were just a tube, then I could eat chocolate cake for breakfast lunch and dinner and have no consequences.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

The irony is too much............
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    And I suppose that all food is just something that you eat and crap out - RIGHT? Your body is only a tube through which food and drink take a few hours to get through. EVERYTHING that you put in your body has an effect. The nutrients that you put in are important, but it is equally important not to remove nutrients. ALL SODA REMOVES CALCIUM FROM YOUR BONES. If I were just a tube, then I could eat chocolate cake for breakfast lunch and dinner and have no consequences.

FTFY.

All soda can damage your calcium deposits in high enough quantities. Luckily for the average person, they don't guzzle soda all day every day. What you're talking about is an extreme. Calm down yo.

(ETA: Anything with phosphorous is going to work against calcium. And, you guessed it, it's in other stuff besides soda, too.)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's horrible*. It causes cancer. I know this because I drink it, got cancer**, have survived [knock on wood] almost a year, and still drink the stuff. Docs laughed at me when I asked if I could/should still drink it. "As long as you're sticking to less than 4 cases per day you've got nothing to worry about."

QED

*horribly delicious
    **true story
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm just not buying all the warnings. I switched from regular soda to diet soda over six years ago, along with many other diet and exercise changes, and lost 55 lbs in a few months. The weight is still off and I continue to drink diet soda daily (and eat a ton of carbs too, btw). I keep a close eye on caloric intake but eat and drink whatever I want, within my intake budget (2,000 cals a day). If all the studies and blogs on the internet were correct I should be back up to my original high weight, and then some. As it is, my doctor is amazed at my level of health and fitness at 62 years of age - great blood work, blood pressure, etc. No tricks, no magic pill, no avoidance of any food group, just accurate logging, exercise, and experimenting with TDEE until I found what works for me.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I stepped on some nerves! Well it's usually the people that step on nerves that are proven right in the long run. I honestly wish the best health to all of you, and I'm glad for those of you that have managed to achieve a level of success despite the diet soda. I just see it as dangerous to offer advice to someone based solely on your "good results", rather than on knowledge based on research.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    And I suppose that all food is just something that you eat and crap out - RIGHT? Your body is only a tube through which food and drink take a few hours to get through. EVERYTHING that you put in your body has an effect. The nutrients that you put in are important, but it is equally important not to remove nutrients. DIET SODA REMOVES CALCIUM FROM YOUR BONES. If I were just a tube, then I could eat chocolate cake for breakfast lunch and dinner and have no consequences.

Like I said, you drink it, you pee it out. What does cake have anything to do with this?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Well, I disagree about soda not being bad for your teeth. I was an avid soda drinker and I've started to dissolve my teeth because of it. They are sort of translucent and when I went to the dentist, she scraped them to show how "crunchy" they sounded. She said that it was all because of the amount of soda I drank. Obviously, I have cut down since then.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I stepped on some nerves! Well it's usually the people that step on nerves that are proven right in the long run. I honestly wish the best health to all of you, and I'm glad for those of you that have managed to achieve a level of success despite the diet soda. I just see it as dangerous to offer advice to someone based solely on your "good results", rather than on knowledge based on research.
    Sorry, we all don't get our 'research' from blogs, youtube and conspiracy websites
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

I'm trying to figure out what nerves you "stepped on." The only person who isn't being calm here is you. And if you'd bother to read the studies you're heralding as the basis of your conclusion, you would see the multiple flaws. Then again, you think fat-people-watching means science. So good luck to you on your weight loss journey. I wish you the best.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

It's cool. No caps lock rage from me!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should give it all to me. My addy is...

:)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I have yet to see any legit research from you.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not this AGAIN
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    On a side note, taste-wise....

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke