Is Diet Pepsi Really Bad For Me?

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    It's certainly NOT bad for you. Nutritionally it provides hydration. Discounting any negligible calories, or an allergy to an ingredient in the soda, it's identical to drinking water from a hydration and health standpoint.

I'm sorry, but you are uneducated and WRONG! (Or delusional) I know I sound like a jerk, and I am sorry for that.

All soda is bad for your teeth. It leaches calcium from your BONES. It messes with your metabolism. Still can't decide if diet soda is right for you? Take a day. Watch people - at mini mart - McDonalds - anywhere soft drinks are available. Now keep a tally. People that order diet soda. People that look healthy vs people that look unhealthy. You will notice that a huge portion of people that are drinking diet soda on a regular basis are severely overweight. The fact that they have no calories is not helping these people keep the weight off. I think aspartame and many of these other "sweeteners" should be banned.
    The irony is too much............

Ya sit at Mcdonalds or any Fast food joint and watch the overweight ppl Ill bet you see alot of them. Now go to the gym and sit and watch the healthy people Ill bet you see alot of them there also. Hmmmmm
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    On a side note, taste-wise....

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

This is a feud I've never understood. They have different notes, but overall I rate the two colas (diet and otherwise) pretty much equal. I've been in the mood for one over the other, but I don't personally have a preference. I just find it really interesting.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and belly fat. Ironically, we actually gain weight from Diet Coke. In two studies conducted by the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, those “who said they consumed two or more diet sodas a day, experienced waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than those of non-users.”

It causes diabetes and heart disease. When waist circumference (belly fat) increases, this contributes to diabetes and heart disease, which a 2010 study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine confirmed.

It makes your kidneys sluggish. Diet soda may interfere with the kidneys, found the Harvard Nurse’s Study, which reported a 30% drop in kidney function with just two servings of diet soda each day.

Aspartame’s been linked to cancer. A lot. Aspartame is “generally recognized as safe” by the FDA while substantial data has shown its link to cancer. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) cautions against Aspartame because it’s poorly tested, and contains three well-recognized neurotoxins. Aspartame was found to increase cancer risk if exposure begins in the womb, reported a study at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center. And various studies have linked lymphoma and tumors in rats. And beware the BPA of cans and caramel coloring, reports Grist.

No. Stop it.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

This is a feud I've never understood. They have different notes, but overall I rate the two colas (diet and otherwise) pretty much equal. I've been in the mood for one over the other, but I don't personally have a preference. I just find it really interesting.

Yeah, I enjoy the "regular" versions of both Coke and Pepsi. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one over the other too. But, with the diet versions, Coke is just a no-no for me. I can't stand the taste lol.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I stepped on some nerves! Well it's usually the people that step on nerves that are proven right in the long run. I honestly wish the best health to all of you, and I'm glad for those of you that have managed to achieve a level of success despite the diet soda. I just see it as dangerous to offer advice to someone based solely on your "good results", rather than on knowledge based on research.

oh.

This. This is rich
  • redversustheblue
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a friend who only drinks diet Pepsi and she's in her 50's. This woman has surgery every 3 months to either install a tube in her liver or a duct in her bladder. Not sure what is going on but she is on pain pills all the time. These surgeries have been going on for two years now. I asked her to try kicking the diet Pepsi habit but she says she can't. She doesn't drink water. Are the two issues linked? I say they are. Who knows?

Sounds like you just wanted something to blame her condition on.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The posts in this thread are just hilarious.

My personal opinion is that no soda is good for you, and that it's probably better for your overall health to eliminate it. I think people who drink soda all the time - their bodies are probably used to it, and have learned to adapt to it or work around the ingredients, which may be why we have fit members who drink a lot of soda.

In my experience, I feel better mentally and physically when soda is cut out from my diet. I drink the occasional mountain dew, especially when I'm working my evening job, and although I get the kick of sugar and the satisfying taste, my teeth feel gross after and I feel bloated at the end of the day.

So there you have it. My take without any scientific studies lol.
  • srslybritt
    Options

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

Yeah, I enjoy the "regular" versions of both Coke and Pepsi. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one over the other too. But, with the diet versions, Coke is just a no-no for me. I can't stand the taste lol.

Hey man, everybody's different. I just think it's really interesting how deep the divide can go.

If I can just ask... does adding a flavor change Diet Coke for you? Like if it's cherry or with lime?
  • redversustheblue
    Options
    I just recently stopped diet drinks completely a month ago. My skin has cleared up, the redness and acne is going away. I've not gotten heartburn in weeks. My energy level has increased. Without looking at the research and just looking at that, you can see the diet sodas are bad for you.

No. They're bad for YOU.

geez people. Holy anecdotes.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Drinks diet soda every day!! Not growing any horns, see photo.

<
    :bigsmile:
  • lookaheadfcsus
    Options
    No, diet soda isn't bad for weight loss.

I drink way, way too much, and have lost more than 50 pounds during the last six months.Personally, it helps me avoid sugary foods.
  • srslybritt
    Options

My personal opinion is that no soda is good for you, and that it's probably better for your overall health to eliminate it. I think people who drink soda all the time - their bodies are probably used to it, and have learned to adapt to it or work around the ingredients, which may be why we have fit members who drink a lot of soda.

In my experience, I feel better mentally and physically when soda is cut out from my diet. I drink the occasional mountain dew, especially when I'm working my evening job, and although I get the kick of sugar and the satisfying taste, my teeth feel gross after and I feel bloated at the end of the day.

I believe in doing what works for you. The reasons you provided for not drinking diet soda make perfect sense to me.

I just can't stand people peddling bunk science as fact. That's all. :)

And no, soda is not "good for you." It holds little if any nutritional value and is more or less sugar (or aspartame) water. Bloomers up there was right about the bone thing when consumed in excess (phosphoric acid, which is in both regular and diet, can lead to bone density issues).
  • redversustheblue
    Options
    It's certainly NOT bad for you. Nutritionally it provides hydration. Discounting any negligible calories, or an allergy to an ingredient in the soda, it's identical to drinking water from a hydration and health standpoint.

I'm sorry, but you are uneducated and WRONG! (Or delusional) I know I sound like a jerk, and I am sorry for that.

All soda is bad for your teeth. It leaches calcium from your BONES. It messes with your metabolism. Still can't decide if diet soda is right for you? Take a day. Watch people - at mini mart - McDonalds - anywhere soft drinks are available. Now keep a tally. People that order diet soda. People that look healthy vs people that look unhealthy. You will notice that a huge portion of people that are drinking diet soda on a regular basis are severely overweight. The fact that they have no calories is not helping these people keep the weight off. I think aspartame and many of these other "sweeteners" should be banned.

LOL hilarious.
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Only thing bad about it is it's not as good as it's younger cousin Pepsi Max or, my favorite, Coke Zero. IIFYM ftw.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    4QIrZFJ.gif
  • redversustheblue
    Options

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

Diet Dr. Pepper > Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That's fine. No one wants to make you drink diet soda and if you choose not to drink it because you don't like it or it makes you feel weird that's fantastic reasoning. As long as you aren't trying to make your experience apply to everyone or come up with crazy claims from random blogs no one will say boo.

It's when people say things like "It's bad for everyone" or 'It makes you retain fat!" that people start arguing.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    51972541.jpg
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    63da2123fb8ec0214d1acfeb1e41e8de.jpg
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just do your own study with and without and see for yourself.