Preferrance? Workout Buddy vs Workingout Alone

Options
I've been working solo since I started in January and have had many people come up to me in the gym complimenting how focused I am and how hard I push myself (totally embarrassed by it too).

I always thought it would be nice to have a workout buddy but then I think... would they break my focus and concentration? Would I talk too much and not push myself as much? OR would they make me work harder and dig deeper?

What do you prefer? I just want to know what each fittie out there thinks about working out with someone or going solo at the gym.

Replies

• heyitsnicolelee
    heyitsnicolelee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My gym time is the time I get to spend away from everyone else. I am always around people when I'm not at the gym, so it gives me my "alone time" I need for the day.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of having a work out partner. But the reality for me is I make it to the gym more often when I'm not waiting on somebody else. If you find a partner that actually works out regularly then great. I just haven't found anyone so I workout alone and I don't mind that at all.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Definitely alone.
    But I like to have someone to go with. Then I'm more likely to go, but once we're there definitely prefer to go our separate ways and do my own thing.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I usually have a great workout when one of my friends go with me.

I go all the time though and love listening to music so most of my workouts are alone.

Answer: I workout with friends when I can but go without them way more often and still have a good time.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Alone.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am a loner when it comes to most exercise.

When I have tried to "buddy-up" with a friend to do any kind of exercise program it's been a total failure. If one person craps out, it could sabotage your plans for the day. If both do show up, it puts constraints on how long/how much/how hard you work. In the end, I found myself unable to exercise when *I* wanted to, and being tied to someone else's schedule often meant I didn't work out at all.

Of course, if I have my walking shoes on, and am heading out the door, and my neighbor calls to ask, "Hey - want to walk right now?" I am more than happy for the company - it's fun and makes the walk go much faster. But I will no longer tie myself to someone else's schedule.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    A GOOD lifting partner... Or alone.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I feel the SAME way on that note for sure!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What do you prefer? I just want to know what each fittie out there thinks about working out with someone or going solo at the gym.

Solo. If I want a friend, I'll hire a trainer.
  • 1Highlander
    Options
    I prefer to have a partner. My workout partners and I all get off work at the same time so it's straight from work to the gym so no timing issues. Having someone to spot you is nice and there is dead time between sets so it's either talk to someone or just listen to music (which is what I do if they bail on me).
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I prefer working out solo. I use my workout time to sort out my day/my thoughts/whatever, which is not a team effort. But some people find motivation from working out with others, so if that works that's great. Just not for me!
  • Steeners81
    Steeners81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Solo...I look at gym time as me time
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I prefer solo so I can focus inwards.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have always lifted alone @ home in my gym. I love it. That said, I've always thought it would be cool to have someone to lift with, but if they didn't have the same level of intensity then all they'd be is a distraction IMO.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Alone/solo. It's my me time. Plus, I think I would find it annoying to have to speak out loud if I wanted to change up the order I was doing things. I like being able to do my entire workout without speaking a word. Maybe if a workout partner could read my mind I would consider it but then I'd probably be annoyed that the person was way too up in my business. So yeah, it's best for me to exercise alone :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift on my own. I prefer to cycle with others (but that hardly ever happens...I'm usually on my own).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I prefer solo and will ask for a spot when I need it.....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ALONE. Nobody I know works out the way I do anyway, and they most likely either aren't able to keep up, or just pepper me with questions and solicit advice until the whole workout session just devolves into a free personal training session for whoever suckered me into "working out with them". :explode: No more. I fly solo.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Working out alone. It definitely does break my focus having someone come along with me. Gym time was about me- but now I have a tag-alonger... and while I want to encourage her to be healthier... it's actually driving me crazy.
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    I want a work out buddy. So when I'm being lazy they can give me motivation. Me:"I just don't feel like it" Them;"Just 10 more, just this set. Then this, then this." and I would push back. I took a friend a few times but shes lazier than me! That didn't work.