does it get better?

Options
I am 212 pounds, stated jogging about 2 months ago - training for a 5k in September. I am now doing 16 minutes straight, and... I still hate it!! I am really slow too I calculated that it would take me about 45-50 minutes to complete the 5k.... In will not give up, but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months? Also, is losing weight going to make it easier, or I am just naturally slow? Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you hate running then don't do it.

Find an exercise you actually enjoy and can stick to.

For the record.. I hate running to so I don't do it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the more often you do it and the more fit you become it will get easier. However, if you hate it I can't imagine that part will get any better. I hate running, so I don't do it :-)
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You will get better. You might still hate it. Losing weight can make it easier, but what will help more is when your muscles adapt and strengthen and when your form improves. Don't worry about time at all. Your first goal should be to just finish. Endurance first, then speed.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Why would you do something you hate? Did you lose a bet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It never got better for me....I loath running. I tried to force the issue for months in the beginning before I realized that life is just too short to be spending time doing **** I don't like doing. I ride my bike now instead and I love that.

I would also add that not everybody can be a good runner...I was an outstanding sprinter growing up and through highschool but have always been a horrible endurance runner, even when I was in the military and in the best shape of my life, I had issues with the run for the PT test...I was just never made to be a distance/endurance runner.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Also, is losing weight going to make it easier
    Of course it will. Imagine carrying twelve 16 oz. water bottles with you when you run. Would you run faster without them? That's what dropping 12 lbs. would do for your running. It can make a huge difference.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't hate slow steady cardio. It is just too slow so I do HIIT instead. I used to run a lot back in second weight loss attempt.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am 212 pounds, stated jogging about 2 months ago - training for a 5k in September. I am now doing 16 minutes straight, and... I still hate it!! I am really slow too I calculated that it would take me about 45-50 minutes to complete the 5k.... In will not give up, but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months? Also, is losing weight going to make it easier, or I am just naturally slow? Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

I started enjoying the actual running at about 8 weeks, but it takes some people longer. I'm assuming you like how you feel after you are done.

If a good 5k is done in 30 minutes, I haven't had a good one yet and I've been running for a year and a half.

Losing weight will make it easier. A lot of the reason you are slow, though, is because you simply haven't put the miles in. The more you run, the better you will get.
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A few years back when I was slimmer I ran 3 times a week for about 18 months. I hated it every time. I was also never any quicker at the start of running to being a regular, fir runner, I could run for longer but I've always been painfully slow. I do about a 12 minute mile. I get embarrassed about it and will never run with or even near others who might be able to spot how slow I'm going!

I stuck with it because I liked the look of the some of my body that started to emerge like new muscles on my legs that I'd never seen before! Also it is the best quick hit, if I run 20 minutes at my current weight then I burn 200 calories and sometimes that is all the difference between a good day and a bad day.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't do it if you don't like it.
    Besides, doing a buttload of cardio will just make you better at doing cardio. Pick up some weights, build a little muscle and you'll really shred the weight!

yes though, everything gets easier the more you do it and the more fat you lose...except floating in a pool...that gets way harder.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    A few years back when I was slimmer I ran 3 times a week for about 18 months. I hated it every time. I was also never any quicker at the start of running to being a regular, fir runner, I could run for longer but I've always been painfully slow. I do about a 12 minute mile. I get embarrassed about it and will never run with or even near others who might be able to spot how slow I'm going!

I stuck with it because I liked the look of the some of my body that started to emerge like new muscles on my legs that I'd never seen before! Also it is the best quick hit, if I run 20 minutes at my current weight then I burn 200 calories and sometimes that is all the difference between a good day and a bad day.

Are you saying that your easy run is a 12 minute mile or your race pace is? Because my easy run is currently in the 14 minute range.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Same advice as above posters: don't do something you absolutely hate. You will have a devil of a time staying consistent with anything that makes you hate your life. There are tons of exercises and activities that people find more enjoyable than running. I am not a runner. I suck at it, and I generally despise it. So I found things I do like, like kickboxing, hiking, BodyPump, and weightlifting.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person.

For me, I got a lot faster and better as time went on. I started around 10 minute miles, now I run 7-8 minute miles regularly (6-7 if I'm just doing 1 mile).

As far as enjoyment, I hated running until I got to the point where I could go 2 miles+. I don't know what it was, but once I hit that point my body just kicked into endorphin mode and I can't get enough of it. I almost need it to de-stress anymore.

Good luck. If it were me, I'd stick with it until I could hit my goal(s) and then if it's still not enjoyable, I'd find some other activity.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

A good 5k is one that you complete, feel like you gave your all, and didn't get injured.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It all depends on the person.

For me, I got a lot faster and better as time went on. I started around 10 minute miles, now I run 7-8 minute miles regularly (6-7 if I'm just doing 1 mile).

As far as enjoyment, I hated running until I got to the point where I could go 2 miles+. I don't know what it was, but once I hit that point my body just kicked into endorphin mode and I can't get enough of it. I almost need it to de-stress anymore.

Good luck. If it were me, I'd stick with it until I could hit my goal(s) and then if it's still not enjoyable, I'd find some other activity.

Oh yeah. Forgot.

Rule #1 - the first 10 minutes or mile of a run (roughly) sucks. It just does. Elite marathoners and C25k newbies alike. It just sucks. You will learn to recognize the suck, put it in your pocket and recheck how you're feeling after you sigh and relax into your run.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It never got better for me....I loath running. I tried to force the issue for months in the beginning before I realized that life is just too short to be spending time doing **** I don't like doing. I ride my bike now instead and I love that.
    I agree 100%!
    I do not enjoy running!
    I have found a love for riding my bike though.
    I've only been using MFP for 18 days but I am certain
    the bike riding has helped me to loose the 6 pounds
    and yes it is getting easier.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - the first 10 minutes or mile of a run (roughly) sucks. It just does. Elite marathoners and C25k newbies alike. It just sucks. You will learn to recognize the suck, put it in your pocket and recheck how you're feeling after you sigh and relax into your run.
    Exactly :):drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets easier.
    Yes, as you lose weight you'll get faster.
    45 mins is a perfectly normal base time to start from.
    As well as doing your 5k it his year- which you will succeed at, and you will feel such a rush of emotion and pride that you met your goal- I challenge you to keep on running. And come back and tell me next July 1st what your running 5 k in.

Keep it going!
  • TwelfthLady
    TwelfthLady Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone might have suggested this already, but try YouTube. It has tons of free workouts and it's always where I do mine. There's anything from step aerobics, regular aerobics, all sorts of options.

My favorites are Jenny Ford and Jessica Smith. Jenny has mostly step aerobics but other options as well and Jessica has all sorts of options from kick boxing to ballet or barefoot workouts.

I agree with others too, it does get easier. Very much look into doing some strength training and weights, it will build your muscles, get you stronger and then any cardio you approach will get easier as a result.
    Best of luck!!
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    it gets better and you will get aster. There is nothing like crossing the finish line and that infamous runners high