does it get better?

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - the first 10 minutes or mile of a run (roughly) sucks. It just does. Elite marathoners and C25k newbies alike. It just sucks. You will learn to recognize the suck, put it in your pocket and recheck how you're feeling after you sigh and relax into your run.
    Exactly :):drinker: :flowerforyou:

This is very very true but I seldom bring it up when people are talking about C25K since they don't typically hit that distance. I feel mediocre until somewhere around the 3 mile mark. Before that it's "Left shin is a tad sore. Is that shoe too tight? What's the odd twitch in this hamstring?" After the 2 - 3 mile point when everything is warmed up it feels fantastic for the most part. That's where the good stuff starts.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is true. It does get better after 10 minutes or so. But I never was able to run more than an 11 min mile, and never for longer than 5 or 6 miles. I was unhappy with complete lack of any progress after months of running, plus my hips started to give out. So I was like eff this I'd rather put my time to better use.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my current mantra, having been unable to run for 7 weeks due to injury, and just slowly getting back to it....

There more to running than going fast.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try an elliptical or something similar. You may like it a whole lot better.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I still hate running while I'm doing it, but I also feel like a total bad @$$ afterwards. We are RUNNERS! My 245 pound self would never have believed it. As for your speed, don't worry about it. Speed will come later. I've had to re-do the C25K this year because I took quite of bit of time off. I'm still happy to break a 40 minute 5K.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    , but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months?
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#10
    Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
    As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't go faster than 12 minute mile, I don't mind that at my current weight but when I was 123lbs and had been running miles and miles for over a year I thought it'd get faster! I know I'm not the slowest runner ever but I certainly am on the running circuit I do (there are tons of running clubs near me so everyone is really fast!)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    , but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months?
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#10
    Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
    As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Yes and no. I believed that at the end of C25k that you just go farther, faster. Then I learned that the running doesn't get better - life gets better. You find yourself doing all sort of things you never believed were possible before because of your increased fitness. Then I learned to enjoy the toughness of running. The way it measures you. And then finally, beyond any hope of it, the running really did get better. I was able to just go and run with no music and it was just a thing. It was as natural as walking.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I can't go faster than 12 minute mile, I don't mind that at my current weight but when I was 123lbs and had been running miles and miles for over a year I thought it'd get faster! I know I'm not the slowest runner ever but I certainly am on the running circuit I do (there are tons of running clubs near me so everyone is really fast!)

Yeah. I don't do running clubs much because my race pace is their recovery run.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I am 212 pounds, stated jogging about 2 months ago - training for a 5k in September. I am now doing 16 minutes straight, and... I still hate it!! I am really slow too I calculated that it would take me about 45-50 minutes to complete the 5k.... In will not give up, but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months? Also, is losing weight going to make it easier, or I am just naturally slow? Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

Don't worry about other people's speed. It's all relative. My first 5K run took me 50 minutes; after 1 1/2 years of running 3x a week, my time is now 38-40 minutes. Speed comes slowly but it will come.

You can run the 5K by September, with dedication and practice. But you probably won't be doing it in 30 minutes. The time won't matter. You'll do great whatever your time because you'll have completed 5K of running. Think how great that accomplishment is.

At this stage, you should be slow. That's the only way to make it through your 16+ minutes of running. As your body gets used to the exertion, you'll naturally speed up (but it will happen slowly). By September, you'll be able to run 5K, if you continue to train, but it will take you about 50 minutes to complete.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A good 5k is one that you complete, feel like you gave your all, and didn't get injured.

Great attitude. This is great advice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I quit going to mine. Their training pace is the same pace as their 5K and marathon pace. Clueless.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

A good 5k is one that you complete, feel like you gave your all, and didn't get injured.

I rarely agree with this weird apple loving guy... But he is right on that one! Very well said.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

You have already been given lots of great advice.
    My suggestion is that you look at a range of different exercises and then decide what you like and don't like. During my weight loss months - exercise was critical and I had to find things that I enjoyed. If I really was not getting any enjoyment then I was less likely to do it. Also things that I could at different times of the year - I hate the cold so in the winter I am unlikely to powerwalk - time for more gym sessions.

I really like the thought of running but prefer power walking and now that I am at goal I still prefer power walking, plus gym, kettle bells and Yoga/Pilates.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I quit going to mine. Their training pace is the same pace as their 5K and marathon pace. Clueless.

Yikes.

Every time somebody breezes past me like I was standing still, I tell myself that they are doing fartleks and I am doing an easy run.

The reality is that it is Sunday so they are probably on the last three miles of their long run, but it makes me feel better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you hate running then don't do it.

Find an exercise you actually enjoy and can stick to.

For the record.. I hate running to so I don't do it.

This! I run about once every 4 months, if I do it more often I don't enjoy it!
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why would you do something you hate? Did you lose a bet?

It was a bit ironic, sorry! It is really hard for me, but I don't totally hate it ???? I am doing it as a challenge, because I tend to always want to stay comfortable and staying comfortable at all cost got to 232 in the first place. I am signed up for a run mid-september and will be doing it.
    Thanks for your replies!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Why would you do something you hate? Did you lose a bet?

It was a bit ironic, sorry! It is really hard for me, but I don't totally hate it ???? I am doing it as a challenge, because I tend to always want to stay comfortable and staying comfortable at all cost got to 232 in the first place. I am signed up for a run mid-september and will be doing it.
    Thanks for your replies!

Good for you! If you can run a 5k distance and still hate it - find something that you can love to do. Every healthy adult should be able to run a 5k, but there's many other things to do. Bet you love it after you make it past a mile straight, though.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 212 pounds, stated jogging about 2 months ago - training for a 5k in September. I am now doing 16 minutes straight, and... I still hate it!! I am really slow too I calculated that it would take me about 45-50 minutes to complete the 5k.... In will not give up, but can I expect to become better in the next 2 1\2 months? Also, is losing weight going to make it easier, or I am just naturally slow? Its not encouraging to know that a good 5k is usually done in about 30 minutes...

10:00/mi? I've heard of those. Ya know, you're not too slow at all. I recommend a good read called "Running for Mortals" by John Bingham. (sp?) I've found that losing weight can make you faster but the real key is to stop watching how fast you are and instead focus on strength and form. Learn to run well and the rest will come in time.

Push too hard and you could end up injuring yourself and lose your confidence completely. Slow down and enjoy the run. The first few months are hard. Try running in new places to keep it fresh. Run with some friends and hit a trail. Watch others and read up on various techniques and strategies.

Most of all, relax and learn to enjoy the run first. When you line up at that starting line, you'll have already won.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When I first completed C25K, my pace was a breezy 15 min/mile. And it felt like I was sprinting for my life in front of a hoard of angry villagers and a murderous T-rex.
    One year later (and 20lbs lighter) my comfortable "I could do this all day!" pace is FINALLY a smidge under 12 min/mi.

I do a lot of fartleks and hill work because I have to run primarily on the dreadmill (shin splints and a bum knee) and those make things way more interesting. They're also what made me faster.
    But, I had to be able to run a mile first. That was the hardest part, being able to run a mile, then two, then 3.1 without stopping.

Don't worry about your finishing time, just go out and do it and enjoy it. Before my first mini triathlon, I was obsessed with my time, until I fell on the bike course and derailed my entire day. I left the watch behind and just did what I could comfortably do on my run. I ended up setting painfully slow miles, but I still got my finisher's medal and didn't come dead last!
    I wouldn't have even been able to finish the swim, let alone the entire race, 3 years and 50 lbs ago!