End of the day and not enough calories?

Options
I try to keep up with my calorie intake throughout the day. Because my work is fairly sedentary, I am at the 1200 calorie level on MFP. Some days, especially those where I have to go out at lunch, the calories add up really fast, and I try to make up for it by working out extra. However, there are days that I just do not have the calorie intake that I should.

Take today, for example. With breakfast, lunch, and a fruit snack to eat, and already 45 minutes of pilates, MFP is telling me that I still need 790 calories to get to the adjusted 1355. That's before doing a workout this evening, and there is no way I'm eating 1000 calorie dinner to adjust for an aerobic workout this evening. If you have days like that, what do you do to make up for the calories in order to not fall into the too-low calorie mode? I was facing this last night with needing another 450 calories, so I made some popcorn, but that just made me bloated.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i dont often have this problem but some high cal foods are peanut butter, nuts, chips dipped in hummus or something of the like
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I think you will find the consensus on here is to eat back half the exercise calories. I personally dont eat any like some people on here as well. Some people devour every calorie alloted.
    Personal preference you could say.

Cindy
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of ice cream tonight. Or peanut butter. Or a bowl of cereal...etc. I really don't understand how some people find this to be so hard. It's not.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I would save it for the rainy days...not a big deal
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm also set at 1200 and I almost always end up eating under that... I don't worry about it.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half of my exercise calories because MFP overestimates calorie burns.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of ice cream tonight. Or peanut butter. Or a bowl of cereal...etc. I really don't understand how some people find this to be so hard. It's not.

Or a bowl of vanilla ice cream with peanut butter and granola mixed in

You'll thank me tomorrow!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat unless I'm hungry. I burn a few thousand calories a day riding my bike around and don't quite get the logic of eating a tub of ice cream and a pound of bacon everyday to lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't eat unless I'm hungry. I burn a few thousand calories a day riding my bike around and don't quite get the logic of eating a tub of ice cream and a pound of bacon everyday to lose weight.

:huh: Because they're tasty......?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I'm trying to find the post advocating for eating a tub of ice cream and pound of bacon every day?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I'm trying to find the post advocating for eating a tub of ice cream and pound of bacon every day?

How big would my bowl of vanilla ice cream with peanut butter and granola mixed in need to be to get to 2000 extra calories? Bacon was just my idea, I figured I would burnout on ice cream after the first 1000-1500 calories.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.....enough said
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping up an elimination diet, so none of what you mention will work for me. Short of eating a ton of grains or a ton of fruit, it just doesn't work like that. As for ice cream, it's one thing to need to add calories, I really wouldn't want to add them with something that is not beneficial. At least airpopped popcorn has fiber.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ummm...again....Peanut butter
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping up an elimination diet, so none of what you mention will work for me. Short of eating a ton of grains or a ton of fruit, it just doesn't work like that. As for ice cream, it's one thing to need to add calories, I really wouldn't want to add them with something that is not beneficial. At least airpopped popcorn has fiber.

Ice cream has calcium, iron, fats, carbs, minute protein.

I think you're looking at food wrong.

You don't get bonus points, btw once your nutrient needs are met but your body needs X amount of calories to function properly. That's Where Fun food comes in. My pint of Talenti and 53 lbs lost is testament to the fact that you can gain better health and lose weight by eating things in moderation
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I recently find frozen yogurt pretty satisfying...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

How big would my bowl of vanilla ice cream with peanut butter and granola mixed in need to be to get to 2000 extra calories? Bacon was just my idea, I figured I would burnout on ice cream after the first 1000-1500 calories.

I'm not following...OP needed a quick way to add more calories to her diet at the end of the day. My advice was to her.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this. I only have 700 more calories left for the day and I'm sad about it. :cry:
  • mg1123
    Options

Ice cream has calcium, iron, fats, carbs, minute protein.

I think you're looking at food wrong.

You don't get bonus points, btw once your nutrient needs are met but your body needs X amount of calories to function properly. That's Where Fun food comes in. My pint of Talenti and 53 lbs lost is testament to the fact that you can gain better health and lose weight by eating things in moderation
    Next week will be a bit different, since I won't have the same food restrictions. Unfortunately, I did discover that I cannot have dairy, so as lovely as ice cream sounds, I've never been able to eat much dairy-free ice cream, so that still won't cut it.

I guess this week I'll be researching paleo snacks, since those are easiest to find with no dairy. Then I'll try to keep some in the freezer/refrigerator for days like this.
  • mg1123
    Options
    Ummm...again....Peanut butter
    Next week, I can look at almond butter as a snack (no more peanuts, alas).