should i be offended....

Options
no one has told me that i look like ive lost weight? I can tell but noone else apparently can...

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be offended.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Some people don't comment because they worry that if they do the person will be offended, especially if they don't know that you have been dieting.

People that see you often may have a harder time noticing as well.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No. Being offended over what people don't say is ridiculous. Plus you sound kind of whiny saying no one has told you that it looks like you've lost weight. Remember, people don't owe you compliments. Be pleased when you get them, but by expecting them you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed. If you just assume no one will ever notice you can instead be pleasantly surprised whenever anyone does.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Some people don't comment because they worry that if they do the person will be offended, especially if they don't know that you have been dieting.

People that see you often may have a harder time noticing as well.

Agreed. One time I had a coworker tell me "You look great, I can tell you lost weight!" and I said thanks, then she added "You were really chunky before..." Wow, thanks. Sometimes it's better when people don't say anything.

This time (I've lost weight multiple times, I'm planning to make this one permanent) I didn't start getting comments until I'd lost nearly 20 lbs.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    No reason to be offended. No one seemed to notice that I was losing until I had lost around 25 pounds....and then several people asked me if I was sick. Once they started noticing at work it became a topic of conversation and eventually pictures were put on a slide presentation asking over 150 of my colleagues if they recognized "this man".....bacause I had "remade myself". At that point I sort of wished to go back to the good old days of no comments...LOL.
  • shortyblueyes
    Options
    Please don't be offended. Oftentimes, people hesitate to mention weight loss because they Don't want to offend anybody! Keep working and using these message boards for support. One day soon, it will become apparent and you will start receiving compliments. You might want to consider telling someone that you're trying very hard to lose weight. Sometimes it only takes one person to "break the ice" and soon you will have a network of people who support you (other than on here).
  • lattanicole
    lattanicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING!! Don't be offended, a lot of people get caught up with their owns lives and such. They will notice :).
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds and people still haven't noticed. I do though and that's what matters.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    if you're losing weight for compliments from other people, then yes, feel offended. If you're doing this for yourself, and yourself thinks you've made progress, forget the others.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Being offended is giving the offender to much credit.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14lbs. Weight loss is barely noticable to people until the 20-25 mark. You'll notice because you're looking for it. Checking daily, and noting when clothes fit differently. This is especially true when you don't have much to lose, which from looking at your pic, you must not have.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP offended b/c people don't remark about her weight loss. I have read far too many threads by others who are offended b/c people remark about their weight loss.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. So I don't. And others probably don't either. Not worth the butthurt.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time when you see people daily they don't notice. Don't be offended.
  • TrophWife1
    Options
    Don't be offended, Just like the dread social comment of "When are you due?" and they aren't people often say nothing. It's less painful than the Dr. visit to have foot removed from mouth. M ost of the time people don't mention it because they are afraid of how will we respond ( why did I need to - said with a snarl) to even being afraid that something is wrong health wise. It's a delicate balance society has us walk. For me personally when I think someone has lost weight I use the old compliment route " You look great today, so what have you been up to? Person feels good and hopefully spills the beans on how they did it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Don't be offended. A lot of people are afraid to bring it up (even if they've noticed it), because they don't know what to say, or what kind of reaction they will get.

It's almost like asking a woman if she's pregnant - it often doesn't end well.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fishing for compliments.

Do it for you, not for the compliments.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Like I'm going to randomly comment on a woman's weight...

...again.

Last few times I did this, the woman in question had apparently recently *gained* weight.

So I made a rule for this like I did for potentially pregnant women: unless I see an actual baby part protruding or you tell me "I am pregnant" in those exact words, I will not acknowledge the possibility that you might be pregnant (because I've been wrong about this too). Similarly, unless you tell me "I lost weight", I will not acknowledge the possibility that you might have lost weight.

TL;DR - nope, and I'm not going to because not worth the risk.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes. obv all of your friends, family and coworkers and just jealous of you. you should cuss them out and defriend them before they start trying to sabotage you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nobody critiques and thinks about anyone else's body as much as their own, so of course you're going to notice before anyone else does. No you should not be offended.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    No you shouldn't be.