should i be offended....

Options

Replies

• bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you notice at 10lbs and everyone else notices around 20lbs, so I'm sure you'll start to hear it soon. Either way, do it for you and I wouldn't be offended. You're doing great!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    no one has told me that i look like ive lost weight? I can tell but noone else apparently can...

In your before and after I can totally see a difference. Your boobs look much bigger.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Damn, thought this was my fart guy thread being resurrected. Retreating silently now...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you lost weight for them then yes..........be offended.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No, people don't always pay much attention to how others look.

That said, I had been to a family gathering right before I started to lose weight and I felt REALLY BIG. When I went to another one shortly after and had already dropped 10lb, I thought it was very noticeable. No body noticed, and the topic of losing weight was coming up left and right so it's not like they weren't thinking about it. O well,...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    OP, looks like you lost weight!

*waits for thread if you should be offended that I mentioned it*
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    NO... are you losing weight for someone other than yourself? be patient.. people will eventually ask if you are okay... if you are sick...and there will be murmurs when you enter a room...SO.. be careful what you wish for... change is NOT something people are comfortable with... so unless you have been upfront with all your friends, family and acquaintances they might NOT see your changes as a good thing...

and NO ONE looks at you more closely than YOU do... so... if it's early (3 months or less) into your LIFESTYLE change... chances are no one has noticed.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    do you do squats and deadlifts?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be offended. Talking about other people's weight is a pretty taboo subject so most people steer clear, even if the comment would otherwise be a compliment. Just search MFP and you'll find numerous threads with people complaining that people did comment...a great many people cannot take a compliment which is why most people just refrain from ever even bringing the subject up.

People tended to comment far more on my fitness and those accomplishments than they ever did my actual weight...in fact the only people to ever comment directly about my weight were my direct family and a couple of very close friends...and even then it wasn't until I had lost about 20 of my 40 total Lbs.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    yes, because you're a horrible fisher(wo)man
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i am down 12 lbs and one person told my mom "she looks like she lost some weight" but other than that no one has said much. my sister tells me once in a while i look "skinny" haha but that might depend on my outfit. I can see it in my face but i dont think anyone else really notices. awe well im not doing it for them, im doing it for me...and to look smokin in my bikini ;)

You posted this in another thread. That's two people who have told you.

And no, you should not be offended. How can you be offended over what people aren't doing? As others have said, people may be afraid of offending you by implying they noticed you were overweight.

Be proud of what you've done and keep it moving.
  • BearsinHats
    BearsinHats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree, sometimes it seems like because you are no longer at a heavier weight, people can talk bad about your body as it previously was...right to your face! As though you were a totally different person who just walked out of a room or something. It's so strange.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    no one has told me that i look like ive lost weight? I can tell but noone else apparently can...

Yes, you should be so highly offended that you cut off contact from everyone you know, unfriend everyone on your MFP and Facebook friends' list, and move to an island where only the geckos and salamanders will recognize your weight loss.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like people noticing - there are a lot of threads on here where people have stated that they feel self-concious or patronised if people comment on their weight loss.

Or they're just socially inept like me. I commented on the drastic weight loss of someone I used to work with and I said that she really doesn't need to lose more weight (she looked like cr*p). She crossly informed me that she'd had undiagnosed coeliacs disease for many years and it had destroyed her insides and made her malnourished since we'd last seen each other.

So yeah. Someone could notice and tell you looked better when you were a bit porkier. Would that suffice?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Yes, you should be so highly offended that you cut off contact from everyone you know, unfriend everyone on your MFP and Facebook friends' list, and move to an island where only the geckos and salamanders will recognize your weight loss.

Keep in mind that this is a worst case scenario. We'll just refer to this as plan B. :laugh:
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Your face is thinner!!

5uy.gif
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    No. I noticed a lady was losing weight at work, but didn't say anything because I didn't know if she was intention ally losing weight or if there was an issue like illness or whatever. I just said she was looking fabulous. Now, sometimes people notice and say things oh so awkwardly and I am left speechless. One of my friends said the other day "boy you've lost weight you're beginning to look good." Wtf is that supposed to mean? BEGINNING to look good?
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Unless you want them to point out when they notice ypu gaining, don't expect them to point out you losing.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options

If you are doing this for the approval of others then you might as well quit now. Do it because you know that it will make you feel and look better. People will notice, but like others have said, some people just don't like talking to others about their weight.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Damn, thought this was my fart guy thread being resurrected. Retreating silently now...
    right?!