And so last night the Hubsy decided I needed help...

nyboer
nyboer Posts: 346 Member
Last night I was digging out weights/bars in preparation for this AM's leg WO and The Hubsy followed me around talking a mile a minute. (He had just gotten home after being gone for 3 days training for a new job.) When he finally noticed what I was doing he offered up these gems:

1) "That curl bar is too heavy for you." Me: No, it's not. Him: YES. It IS. Why don't you listen to me? Me: Before jumping down my throat would you perhaps like to ask me why I'm using it? (I use a curl bar for deadlifts and it was not too heavy.) :grumble:

2) "You have to put those locks on the bar before you lift anything so the weights don't fall off." Me: Thank you, Sherlock. :huh:

3) "You see that silver, metal thing on that bar there?" Me: Yes. Him: "That keeps the weights from sliding together into the middle of the bar." Me: *Head smack*. :angry:

4) "Did you cut yourself?!" (Slightly bigger than a paper cut.) Me: Yes. Him: "Doing what?!" Me: Putting plates on a bar. Him (outraged): "Why didn't you tell me you needed help?!" Me (hands on hips, glaring): Because I did not NEED help. (finger pointing up the basement steps) GO away. :explode:

Goodness knows, I love my husband, but if he had to be gone for 3 more days I would understand.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hey, he was gone for three days and missed you. You were paying more attention to the weights than to him, so he was doing what he could to get attention (subconsciously, most likely). And it sounds like he's also feeling about as useless as teats on a boar, which ain't a good feeling for a guy to have.
  • nyboer
    Hey, he was gone for three days and missed you. You were paying more attention to the weights than to him, so he was doing what he could to get attention (subconsciously, most likely). And it sounds like he's also feeling about as useless as teats on a boar, which ain't a good feeling for a guy to have.

Dang. I'm feeling all kinds of chastised and guilty now. :blushing:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Sorry--I giggled the whole way through this.
  • nyboer

That's what I was going for! :drinker:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Finally, a wife gets what we get all the time -- constant correction!
    Just kidding....
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member

That's what I was going for! :drinker:

I can just see the same conversation happening with a kid.

Kid: "Mom! Blahblahbladdityblahblah"
    Mom: "Yes honey, very nice" *doing 304923094820394823723984765 things at once*
    Kid: "Blahblahblahyapyapyapblahblah"
    Mom: *strained patience, still multitasking like a boss*
    Kid: "Mom you know if you do it THIS way..."
    Mom: "I BROUGHT YOU INTO THIS WORLD..."

ETA: I've totally talked my mom's ear off like this. Many times.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

Goodness knows, I love my husband, but if he had to be gone for 3 more days I would understand.

That can be arranged.

Pleas put £10,000 in unmarked bills in a brown paper bag in a designated locker at Waterloo Station and await further contact...
  • briemyre
    briemyre Posts: 25 Member
    What a goof, we're way past the "Damsel in Distress" phase here. Hey, I know he missed you and everything, but taking a little time for yourself will benefit your time together immensely. If he wants to enjoy the results - he's gotta support the process. Am I right? Reading this was hilarious.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I recognize this as well.
    As annoying as he was, he was trying to "participate."
    Keep working.
  • hill8570

Husbands are like cats. Most of the time they ignore you, they're real friendly if they want something, and if you ignore them when they want attention they're liable to jump into whatever you're doing, like it or not.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    This would drive me INSANE. Certifiably, dribbling, eye-rolling gibberish-talking crazy.

You are a much more patient woman than I, and I salute you. I could never deal with that. (Though my husband knows me better than to try to coddle me like that.) :wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Husbands are like cats. Most of the time they ignore you, they're real friendly if they want something, and if you ignore them when they want attention they're liable to jump into whatever you're doing, like it or not.

Love this analogy
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Aww, sometimes you gotta let the big man show his little wife how to do something difficult! That's very sweet of him but I totally get why you were annoyed. Next time let him show you and laugh to yourself afterwards. :laugh:
  • nyboer

That can be arranged.

Pleas put £10,000 in unmarked bills in a brown paper bag in a designated locker at Waterloo Station and await further contact...

:laugh: Nawp, I'll be at Upper Crust getting my tuna melt fix.

(Love all train station and airport food. Yum)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    My boyfriend does the same kind of stuff. He doesn't work out, but took weightlifting in college....20 years ago. :laugh: I figure he's just trying to be helpful. We've never worked out together, he's never even seen me work out for that matter (I like to be alone), so he has no idea how much I already know and do. I don't think he's even been in a relationship with a woman who's lifted weights before.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

I agree with this, but I have to say I did laugh it was really funny, probably because it sounds so familiar. I just look at my SO when he gets like this and do my best southern belle impression and say "honey how did I function before you came into my life". He laughs, gets the point and says "Lordie knows Scarlett".
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member

This reminded me of the comedian on AGT last night. She was funny! She said the same thing. Men are cats and women are dogs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppidBvkUN14
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member

OMG...Love this!! ^^^^

It explains so much about my husband....hmmmm.
  • nyboer

That's pretty funny.
    And, thinking back to other events, true.
    :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Yep! A hug and a blow job before your workout probably would have stopped the pestering...
  • nyboer

Yep! A hug and a blow job before your workout probably would have stopped the pestering...

...and I just snorted water out my nose...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

...and I just snorted water out my nose...

:laugh:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Yes they just must give advice. I was up on the ladder with a hose bleach sprayer and broom handle brush cleaning the awnings on the house. Ok weve lived her 31 years so ive done this many times, hes talking to neighbor, then he comes over and says you know my friend that does pressure washing says you should start at the bottom then the streaks wont cause stains. I said yea no sh%t women have been cleaning walls ands showers this way for years, i kinda know what im doing here. Him: damn you dont have to get all pissy i was just telling you what he does. The hose almost left my hands i swear it would have been an accident. 31 years and hes still clueless.
  • hill8570

Always a pleasure to meet a woman who understands men. :laugh:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member

^^This!! You sir are winning life!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    LOL, just stopping in to say this thread made my morning. My hubs doesn't have the first clue about weight lifting and knows better than to suggest I need help picking up heavy things, but the general context of the scene is most definitely familiar! :laugh:

I've been away for months at a time for various parts of my career and it's always a joke between us because he'll spend the whole time up to when I leave bragging about the awesome things he'll be able to do without me around and about three days in to my being gone he's already moping like a forlorn puppy dog.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Awe!

In some ways this reminds me of my bf. He's nuts about not laying anything flammable on burners. (I'd assume this is a reaction from a lesson learned the hard way, he does have ADD and I could absolutely picture him laying something down and turning on the wrong burner and walking away distracted, but I've never asked.) I on the other hand, lay crap on the stove all the time. I know whether burners are off or not, and am a whiz in the kitchen.

Does he lift with you?

I LOVE lifting with my man.

Maybe it's an activity you can do together.

We hated sharing a barbell set so he bought a second set, now we can literally lift together, and have the appropriate weights for each of us.

That is so sweet and cute though, good luck!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    My honey drives me so crazy with his bro science and misinformation I won't even discuss it with him anymore. His latest now that I am not working and have been exercising during the day is "you know you're not going to be able to do this when you go back to work". Well no **** Sherlock! But do you want me just to sit on my *kitten* and stare at the walls?? :huh: :explode:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

would that count as cardio pre workout? might affect her lifting performance though!!!

OP- I feel for you- my BF tries to make things happen and over thinks them- I'm an engineer- I can see angles and lines and the way things fit together sometimes and it makes me crazy when he tries to be smart about something and works way harder- or jumps through all these hoops only to figure out what I told him in the first place was correct- you just can't help them sometimes- fortunately he's not a weight lifter- and he never has been- but he did ask me
    why don't you just do 200 hindu squats instead of trying to squat 200 pounds once?

Seriously doesn't get it- shrug- there is only so much to be done- I'm glad you kicked him out though- that's hysterical. Good for you- hope you had a fabulous lift!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

What man wants a hug?