Hitting the Wall, Bonking

Options
13»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I hit the wall during my first marathon. Disorientation and total inability to run. I was worried they'd see me staggering and pull me from the course. After stuffing down everything in sight at a great station I regained enough clarity to continue and finish. The following year I trained w/o using gels or mid run fuels and got my body used to running that way.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This simply is not true, and I wish you would do your REAL research before you say that the body does not run efficiently on pure fat.

Okay, would you like to go and tell the physiology lecturer at my university that he's mistaken then? Along with all the authors of physiology 101 textbooks?

Low carb =/= running entirely on fat, nor is low fat dieting what I was talking about. Running out of all carbohydrate stores in your body is what I'm talking about. As in no sugar in the blood, and glycogen stores in the body completely depleted.

I'm well aware that lower carb diets have their place, but they do increase the risk of becoming completely glycogen depleted when doing endurance cardio or any kind of strenuous exercise, and when that happens the body does not run as efficiently as it does when there are carbohydrates in the system, and people can and do train through this, believing they are working at maximum efficiency, when they're not. If you're not experiencing this then you are not completely exhausting all carbohydrate from your system. Probably because you eat a moderate amount of fruit. Alternatively, you could be experiencing it but pushing through it and not realising that you'd get better results in your workouts/endurance cardio of you had more carbohydrate in your system. Dehydration is a separate issue and yes that too can cause confusion and exhaustion. But that does not mean that your body is magically running at 100% efficiency when you're completely glycogen depleted. Either you're not glycogen depleted, or you're pushing through it regardless, and not performing at maximum efficiency (even though you think you might be).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm just bumping this for you. I think some people are confusing bonking and boinking. :wink:

where I'm from bonking has a risque meaning. I've heard of boinking as well (same meaning), I think it may be a dialectual difference.

I told one of my NZ friends that I was rooting for her. Apparently that also has a different meaning! :laugh:

LOL

best one I heard.... in southern UK "chuffed" means "very happy" and if you put well before an adjective, it means very, e.g. "he's well 'ard" = he's very hard (or "badass" to give a USA version of the term)......... but up north, "chuffed" means, well, "bonked" and well is used the normal way, as in standard English.

Southern girl went to live up north and was chatting with new work colleagues..... "I was well chuffed last night!!"

Haha! My daughter told me a joke recently where the punchline was "he thinks he's hard", and I didn't get it. I'd never heard "hard" used in the same sense as "badass", so my dirty mind was ruining the joke!