To non-Americans - do you have a national holiday?

Options
WildBillR
WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
Was discussing with my daughter about tomorrow being the Fourth of July, Independence Day here in the USA, and we figured that our British friends wouldn't be having the holiday with fireworks like we do. So, we wondered, what is the national holiday in other countries?

Replies

• tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Get over it it was over 300 years ago but I suppose it was the only war you have won. lol. Only kidding have a great day and Happy 4th of June, sorry July. :wink:
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    They have Australia Day and I'm not sure about fireworks but it's a day of BBQing and drinking and partying on the beach.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    14 of July :)
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and we just had it on Tuesday - July 1 is Canada Day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

And they give out free slices of cake at the mall because it's "Canada's birthday".
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure most countries have a day.

A good lesson for your daughter, and you, would be to google and find the names of all the national holidays for all the countries.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not with him. I swear.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

So sad that you even have to post this.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    England doesn't need a day, they're the reason so many other countries have one.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    England doesn't need a day, they're the reason so many other countries have one.

I think June 15 would be fitting. That was a gift to English law and the law of many other countries.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Bastille Day is coming up in France!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Let them eat cake.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Let them eat cake.

Apres moi, le deluge
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Let them eat cake.

Vive la Revelution!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ah, Australia Day. A stinking hot summers day where you get drunk, eat lamb of the barbie, stick Australian flag temporary tattoos to your face which will take 3 days to fade and end up sunburnt as a *****.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Last year, one of my best friends, who was in French class with my in high school, sent me an e-card that said, "Happy Bastille Day to someone else who is pretentious enough to know what Bastille Day is. " lol, I loved it.
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We have ours on july first in canada
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Guy Fawkes Day I expect for the Brits, although they are all a bit different.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Ah, Australia Day. A stinking hot summers day where you get drunk, eat lamb of the barbie, stick Australian flag temporary tattoos to your face which will take 3 days to fade and end up sunburnt as a *****.

Love Australia day (26 January), this year I was on the news proudly wearing my Australia Day t-shirt and flashing bunny Flag ears. hehe.. And yes we were at the concert at the park on the beach, plenty of wine and nibbles, sunscreen and 9pm fireworks. Always a good day!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Guy Fawkes Day I expect for the Brits, although they are all a bit different.

It's a day they celebrate an historical event but it's not a public holiday, more like Halloween or Valentine's Day.