To non-Americans - do you have a national holiday?

Options

Replies

• JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    England doesn't need a day, they're the reason so many other countries have one.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. :laugh:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Canada Day

and im half Danish so i can tell you Denmark has Grundlovsdag (constitution day) which I have always celebrated with my dane people
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Canada Day

and im half Danish so i can tell you Denmark has Grundlovsdag (constitution day) which I have always celebrated with my dane people

Mmmmmmm. Danish!

danish_pastry_3_zpsa73b6b86.gif
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Canada Day

Mmmmmmm. Danish!

you mean wienerbrod
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Canada Day

Mmmmmmm. Danish!

you mean wienerbrod

Wiener Bread?

images_zps5af5ff8e.jpeg
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Does 23rd April, St George's day in England count? Don't think it's a national holiday there, but it is for me, I always buy my single rose on that day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Yep, Australia Day is pretty much the biggest party of the year.

They also have the hottest 100 songs voted for by people on the national radio station. So crank that up, get some drinks and dance the day/night away is how we typically do it.

And then somehow go to work the next day.

I may or may not have been asked by the cops to put some more clothes on as I was walking home in my Australia Flag undies last year. :blushing:
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Here in Ireland we have St. Patrick's day - but you probably already knew that, lol. We also have Easter Sunday as well to an extent (in commemoration of the rising). Things get SUPER patriotic on both those days. Of course there's the obligatory bountiful amounts of alcohol on St. Patrick's. Easter is a lot more solemn.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In New Zealand its Waitangi Day on the 6th February.

There is a list of them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day#N
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    England doesn't need a day, they're the reason so many other countries have one.

Whats St Georges day then? We Don't celebrate it like we should. And then people whine that we are losing our identity, Fecking idiots. We celebrate St Paddy's day cause we are that fecking dumb.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Whats St Georges day then? We Don't celebrate it like we should. And then people whine that we are losing our identity, Fecking idiots. We celebrate St Paddy's day cause we are that fecking dumb.

It's not a holiday. We don't get the day off to celebrate! I agree we should celebrate it, but our government thinks it's not PC enough to be patriotic!!!
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options

It's not a holiday. We don't get the day off to celebrate! I agree we should celebrate it, but our government thinks it's not PC enough to be patriotic!!!

Very true, but we dont for St paddy or St David either but they are marketed a heck of a lot more than, (must say this quitely don't want to upset the non English in England) ST fecking Georges day. I feel a petition coming on. lol:wink:
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    China: October first. Gigantic fireworks!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Guy Fawkes Day I expect for the Brits, although they are all a bit different.

Actually, Guy Fawkes Day (November 5) never has been a national holiday in the UK; in fact there is no such "National Day". Instead there are a number of public holidays throughout the year that originally arose from traditional pagan festival dates or religious festivals.

That aside, where I live we do have a "National Day"; it is May 9th when we celebrate our liberation from the occupying German forces during WW2. We (along with the other Channel Islands) were the only parts of the UK occupied, and liberation is a very big deal to us.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Canada Day - July 1st
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well we get the last Monday in August off just as a public holiday in the UK, not sure why that is though. It's the last public holiday before Christmas. I'd like one in October to break it up a bit.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian & ours was Canada Day- Tuesday of this week, July 1.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Canada Day, July 1st.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Canada eh? ;) (Michigander here)