DEAR JELLY HATERZ!!!!!!!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Edited again for a follow up:

What's the difference between jelly and jam?

My understanding is that what Americans call jelly is same as what Australia, UK etc call jam.

Jelly in Australia is that dessert thing you make from jelly crystals, dissolve them in boiling water and put in bowl in fridge to set - not sure what it is called in America.

In the US,

Jell-O is the brand name of the stuff that sets-up and you eat with a spoon. It's become the generic name for any brand of gelatin dessert.

Jam is a spread made from fruit. It's usually chunky and still has visible bits of the actual fruit in it.

Jelly is another type of spread made from fruit juice. It's smooth and has no chunks in it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

My understanding is that what Americans call jelly is same as what Australia, UK etc call jam.

Jelly in Australia is that dessert thing you make from jelly crystals, dissolve them in boiling water and put in bowl in fridge to set - not sure what it is called in America.

Jelly is a spread for bread made with the strained juice of fruit, generally the juice is strained through a jelly bag, and then thickened with sugar, pectin, or a different gelatinizer. In the case you mean, Jelly is the same as what most folks here think of as jello, which is a sweetened gelatinized confection. More accurately, I'd call it a gelee, a savory version being known as aspic.

Jam is the cooked and reduced whole fruit thickened in general with pectin, and using sugar as needed. These are also known as preserves, and the french term escapes me, but it's a thickened form of compote, essentially.

Chutney is specifically a savory relish, as relish in and of itself can be savory or sweet.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I like Jelly and peanut butter, but I'm not crazy about the two combined.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

And no Jelly and PB should not go together - there I said it.

It's just wrong, that's all.

I agree! :heart:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    By jelly, do you mean jam?

This is jelly:

5476163224_f0f8833908.jpg

ETA: the first time I read about Americans eating sandwiches with peanut butter and jelly, I thought they meant the stuff that British people call jelly, and though that was a crazy weird thing to put in a sandwich!!!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. I kinda hate jelly. Yuck! There's no fruit in there! Give me the 100% fruit blackberry/raspberry jam any day. For some reason, you can always find really cool imported jams at Big Lots. :love: Raspberry jam on extra thin Jewish rye is yummy, but also dangerous to have in the house! (http://arnoldbread.com/products/sliced-breads/real-jewish-rye/melba-thin)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Jelly is a spread for bread made with the strained juice of fruit, generally the juice is strained through a jelly bag, and then thickened with sugar, pectin, or a different gelatinizer. In the case you mean, Jelly is the same as what most folks here think of as jello, which is a sweetened gelatinized confection. More accurately, I'd call it a gelee, a savory version being known as aspic.

Jam is the cooked and reduced whole fruit thickened in general with pectin, and using sugar as needed. These are also known as preserves, and the french term escapes me, but it's a thickened form of compote, essentially.

Chutney is specifically a savory relish, as relish in and of itself can be savory or sweet.

UK= Jelly is actually a gelatinous dessert, traditionally served at children's parties with icecream or with custard and cream called a trifle.
    Jam is a fruit based spread (I like it with peanut butter and I am English) on toast or in a tart.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just had a toasted peanut butter, hot pepper jelly and banana sandwich... omgoodness, best thing I ate all week! This thread got me contemplating jelly, lol, haven't eaten it in years ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options

Relish in Australia is not sweet - sweet relish would be called jam.

Chutney and relish are used as interchangeable terms here - and both are really savoury jam - sometimes made with fruit, like jam - eg one could have apricot jam (sweet) or apricot chutney/relish (savoury)
    One could also have non-fruit chutney/relish - eg tomato and onion chutney, curried cauliflower chutney etc.

Jelly is the pic shown in neaderthals gif - same as it is in UK.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    In Canada we call the gelatin dessert jelly or by the brand name jell-o, but it is called jelly. We still call the not real fruit spread jelly as well, and it is similiar to jelly jello in a sense (it is more wiggly). I like jam.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, jelly on bread??!! :noway:

* reminds self this is an American site and they really mean jam :blushing:

actually, nobody here has peanut butter and jam together either - they might have one or the other on bread but not both together. That seems really weird combination to us.
    Yep....however, my hubby likes peanut butter and honey sandwiches...all a bit strange to me...

ETA - Although I quite like the idea of a peanut butter and nutella sandwich...

My favorite thing about peanut butter and honey sandwiches is how the honey somehow seems to crystallize with the bread and make a slight crunch on it. My least favorite thing about peanut butter and honey sandwiches is how the honey runs out and I find myself trying to lick it off my hands.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So when the british sing beyonce's "I don't think your ready for this jelly"...do they think it's about the Jell-O has not been in the fridge long enough or that it's not your birthday?

British customs are so interesting to me. Especially when they think one food is a different one. I wanna be ready for in case I ever marry Prince Harry's doppelganger and know what all the foods are called over there and what to do on birthdays. So far a bowl of Jell-O is not as impressive as a birthday custom as bouncy houses are. Just sayin'.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    So when the british sing beyonce's "I don't think your ready for this jelly"...do they think it's about the Jell-O has not been in the fridge long enough or that it's not your birthday?

British customs are so interesting to me. Especially when they think one food is a different one. I wanna be ready for in case I ever marry Prince Harry's doppelganger and know what all the foods are called over there and what to do on birthdays. So far a bowl of Jell-O is not as impressive as a birthday custom as bouncy houses are. Just sayin'.

LOL

but if you marry Prince Harry's doppelganger, he might not be British... what if he's American? Or Colombian (with dark hair). Come to think of it, he'd look better with dark hair. You should go for that one.

ETA: Originally meant to say thank you to everyone for explaining... but then I got sidetracked... :flowerforyou:
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    English and I love peanut butter and strawberry jam on toast - perfect harmony...

Always thought the US jelly was the UK jam - learn something new every day :-)