Help fat and depressed

Options

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Frankly it pissed me off to hear you talk about yourself this way. Because I fell into the same trap. Dieting to please others to be accepted never worked for me. What worked was realizing that I am actually a pretty cool dude. And an interesting human being. And that I had strength that others, even fit and healthy and thin people simply lacked. You have the horse before the cart. If you learn to love yourself then getting in shape really is just a matter of time. But as long as you hate yourself as you do. Nothing will ever work for good.
  • msrodrey
    msrodrey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started at a whopping 239 lbs a couple of years ago and what changed everything for me were two things:

1. After years of avoiding a regular checkup, I needed antibiotics. So, I went to the doctor and found I had high cholesterol and elevated liver enzymes. For the first time, I was afraid for my health and my quality of life. Leading a healthier life "eventually" wasn't going to cut it anymore. It was affecting me now.

2. We started a biggest loser competition at work. Being around others with a common goal makes a weight loss journey and end goal tangible. You are not alone. Surround yourself with people in your real life that support you. I gave my best friend my password to my fitness pal, for example. If you're going to work out, do it in a group setting when possible. Go to the same place often and you will meet people that are like-minded. That gym or that park will become a familiar and comforting place you can work toward your goal.

It's not all or nothing. It's good days and bad days and it doesn't matter how long it takes. Someone recently said to me that balance is not staying perfectly still for a long period of time but small movements that keep you from falling over. Set goals that seem achievable to you. Work on consistency. Reward yourself with something other than food like flowers, a gym outfit, or a night out doing something you've never tried before.

Be gentle and encouraging with yourself. Continue to pick yourself up and keep going. We don't blame babies that are learning to walk for falling. We don't expect them to run right away and we're super excited when they first crawl. You have a whole lifetime to be healthy and this is just the beginning.

Be excited to crawl and do one small thing today. Maybe it can just be to drink enough water and remind yourself that it doesn't matter where you start but that you're going in the right direction. I applaud your honesty and renewed commitment. Best of luck to you. I know you can do it!
  • jacksan123
    jacksan123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FEELING VERY POSITIVE TONIGHT WITH ALL THIS SUPPORT
    I am actually crying , thank you all for supporting and motivating me, thank you for caring to take the time, I am starting NOW X

^^^^
    If there was a "LIKE" buttong for this post I would definately hit it!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You are being too hard on yourself! You can make changes one day at a time.:smile:
  • jacksan123
    jacksan123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    WOW WHAT A REACTION I HAVE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE HAD, THANK YOU EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, WHAT A LIFT I HAVE HAD TODAY, AND I AM NOW ON MY WAY TO A FITTER ME, AND MY NEW LIFESTYLE . THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • NewGirlThatsMe
    NewGirlThatsMe Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone that has responded in such a thoughtful way. There are many posts out there that seem promising but go to the absurd. I love having fun and joking around, but I am on here for a reason. Like I said, I was so excited to see a genuine post and really amazing positive answers. I have friend requested many of you and welcome you all to friend request me. Thanks for changing my mind about MFP!
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well first time I have been on the scales in over a year , bloody battery had gone, found a new one 223.6 lb have now logged it. I will get lighter every day x

I LOVE this attitude! Stay committed & keep accurate records on MFP. It's my new Facebook! Lol >.< but anyway, proud of you lady, for deciding to change! That makes me smile. You can do it, it just takes time and patience with yourself! :smile: :heart:
  • sexygoodness
    sexygoodness Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    43 and lovin it... always looking to add to my support group...

Feel free to add me drinker
  • sexygoodness
    sexygoodness Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    And when you do get your macros set, don't try and make adjustments on a daily basis, run them out for atleast 3 weeks and you will know exactly how your body is responding, weighing yourself daily will make you crazy. I can weight anywhere from 201 to 206 on a daily basis depending on hydration, sodium intake, large amounts of low calorie dense foods, etc.

You make a very valid point I have been stressing a bit about the numbers and although they are so small sometimes they seem so big

always looking to add to my support group...

Feel free to add me drinker
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    hang.jpg
  • KWestbury5
    KWestbury5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I am yet again going to start a diet, will be starting Monday and trying so hard to get in the mode, so so so fed up with myself , I am 10lb heavier then last time I started on here, just cant get motivated, and if I am being really honest I am digusted with myself, ashamed to go out , hate anyone looking at me and feel so unfit, I really really really just want ME back, to gain self confidence and self worth,, to fell attractive again, to feel normal, not just a big fat lump of lard that hides away, I MUST DO IT THIS TIME . Any support appreciated thank you x Oh by the way 55 years old 220 lbs if not more will find out Monday and want to get to 140 lb.

Everyone finds dieting hard my dear. My advice would be when ever you need a motivational boost to look at what you have written here and remember what you do not want to go back to, then channel that negative energy into something positive. Go for a walk or do some yoga ect, Exercise releases endorphin's in the brain that make you feel good and the activity will help towards your weight loss, Its win win! Chin up ...look to the future :)
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Christine. I too, am doing this again, only 10 lbs heavier, but I plan on sticking with it this time. Don't give up hope or your strength! You'll do great! It's time to reinvent yourself. That's how I feel. A few years ago, I was about 25 lbs lighter and much happier, healthier, and fit into all kinds of clothes I have now thrown away or have given away. I'm on a mission. Add me as a friend, we'll be each other's motivation! I'll be 38 in 2 months, mother of 3 children, 5' 10", 166 lbs, and determined to lose 20 lbs by the end of the year. I want to buy a nice holiday dress this year. Let's do this! :)
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! That's great advise!
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking some supplements before & after your workout to help you. Research them first to make sure they won't interfere with any medications or conditions.

Rhodiola, maca root, creatine, beta alanine, taurine
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Also consume some carbs before, during and after workout
  • blazingsun14
    blazingsun14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll send a friend request so we can share success!

Do not beat yourself up! There are lots of people in your shoes, and that's what MFP is for! You have taken a big step by admitting that you need to lose weight. (Believe me, some people I know are heavier than you and say that they don't need to lose weight.)

Motivation is the key. It's not all about exercise and diet, it's a mental battle just as much. You have to convince yourself to eat stuff you may not enjoy as much as say sweets and greasy food. You can maybe sneak in one or two, but you'll have to limit it. And sometimes, if you've had a long day and you don't feel like working out, you have to force yourself to do it. That's how you get motivation. By convincing your mind and yourself that you CAN lose the weight and you CAN pump those weights!

And take it slow, because if you try to lose weight too fast, you'll plateau and then it becomes much more difficult.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

You can never be too old to lose weight!
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    SO glad you decided to start your NEW LIFESTYLE NOW! Check in with the community often for support and accountability and remember to DO THE DO no matter HOW you might FEEL at the moment. Our feelings can play with our heads and our motivation, and truly this is simply about bringing yourself into energy balance. Right now you are carrying around loads of energy just waiting to be utilized, and you are going to give your body a reason to use that energy by giving yourself a calorie deficit. Simple. No "dieting" here. Simple adjustments on a daily basis and repeated daily will product stunning results.
  • LadyDQM
    LadyDQM Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I want to wish good luck for Monday. I know how you feel. I have been battling weight issues my whole life.....I am currently doing a 30 day Paleo challenge. Its going fine so far.

Whats your plan for Monday and forward? It helps to do your food shopping, meal prep and exerc. plan to have inplace before your Day 1.

Good luck again.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like I am making excuses but weekend I am checking recipes and doing a big shop and chucking all bad things out , thanks for your support I am going to need it x

It sounds like you're already starting so why not take it one step further and log your food, starting right now. Don't diet, just practice logging. I did that the first two weeks before I kicked in. You can do this. I'm 57 and I know exactly where you are. Been there. You will either worry about what to wear this weekend, trying to find something that fits, or you will worry about what you put in your mouth. Regardless, you will worry about something. Make it the latter sooner and you will be that much closer to your goal!
  • gingercaroline76
    gingercaroline76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HI! :) I am returning to MFP and am on my first week back. You sound just like me and how I feel about myself. I am determined this time to stick with it, no matter how long it takes, and I too am looking for all the support I can get. Together we can do this! Friend request sent. Anyone else feel free to add me as well. Thanks (: