Anybody here get "Facebook envy"?

Options
enjayer
enjayer Posts: 46 Member
I know it's sad and that the lives people put up and portray on Facebook aren't exactly realistic representations but I still find myself getting Facebook envy! Im hoping I'm not the only one...

☆Edit☆ Just want to clarify, I don't mean envy in the sense of resentful longing, I'm using the term loosely in lieu of an appropriate substitute. ☆edit☆

Replies

• siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    what do you mean, everything i put up on my facebook is a true representation of my life? as i with most of the people i know?

i dont get what you mean
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No, I don't envy anyone else, what's the point of that?
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    No, I don't envy anyone else, what's the point of that?

This...
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVZYiJKl1Y

The video is called "What's on you mind" and is about exactly what you are talking about.

You are not the only one.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    No, because I'm not 12.
  • enjayer
    enjayer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not 12 either. And absolutely, there is no point to it. Nor is there any point for a lot of random thoughts/feelings, especially the counter productive ones. They still happen though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not home crying into my tea about it but I'll admit, there are times when I'm at work on a Saturday night wishing I was out at the places my friends are at instead. Or alternatively, sitting at home in winter rugged up wishing I was on a tropical island holiday looking glamorous
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying and yes I do. I seem to get it when people post pictures of their incredible vacations to places on my bucket list that we can't visit right now for financial reasons. Or when they post pictures of their perfect children and while my kids are awesome, amazing young men, they don't fit your typical mold. My boys had zero interest in attending school dances so I hated logging in around prom and homecoming! Shallow maybe but there you have it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't get envious, more like "how did my life become so different than yours?" There's babies everywhere, pictures of family because you hang out EVERY WEEKEND, hypocritical posts about your kids being bullied, when in fact you were my bully growing up, things like that. I have no interest in people's lives on Facebook. It doesn't have anything to do with mine, or any common ground. I mostly use it to remind my family what my kid looks like, to get praise on how cute my dog is, and to alert people with what's going on in terms of elections and weather lol.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's babies everywhere... hypocritical posts about your kids being bullied, when in fact you were my bully growing up, things like that.

Can relate to that!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I wouldn't call it "envy" per se, but sometimes I just think to myself... why? what? or my favorite... no.

From my HS graduating class there are two people who aren't married - I am one of them.
    From my HS graduating class there are <10 people without children - I am one of these also.

I do not have the financial resources to take vacations to all those fancy places that my friends do - I wish I did! - I'm happy for those people, but wish I could do it too - so envy? jealous? Whatever you want to call it.

The proposals?! OH THE PROPOSALS!!!! LOL Please let my future husband have a romantic and creative side paaaaaleeeeeese

I try not to let it bum me out too much - if I feel that it's "bothering" me then I just don't get on FB for a few days - go outside, get some sunshine, go to the gym, go to a local attraction, be with friends, or something like that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I believe that people who wallow in misery (barring health issues that cause it) allow it. If they are your friends and you envy their partying, then go party with them. If they won't let you, they aren't your friends.
    You control how happy you want to be and while envy can be a motivator for some, for others it's a detriment. You want a more exciting life, go make it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, but I am also very happy with what I'm doing.

The only Facebook envy I have is for the couple of people who just a) graduated law school (and I am getting there! Actively working towards it) and b) live abroad (working on that personally as well, and have been lucky enough to travel a lot so far this year)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No. Nobody from my school or from my area has really achieved much of anything, and I don't really count having kids as exciting or worthy of envy.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This can't be serious.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I get "Facebook Rage":

I have a few friends who like to post their cryptic status updates and then when you ask them what is wrong they respond "I don't want to talk about it" or "leave me alone". Then WHY did you just post that if you don't want to talk about it? Now I just ignore them, I learned that very early on. Damn drama queens. :grumble:

"Why does this have to happen to me?"

"I could just disappear and no one would even notice :("

"I feel so alone :("

"I can't believe THAT just happened!"

Edited for spelling.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm weird. I don't have much money (so, you know, no fancy vacations or new outfits, or going out, having babies, etc.). Whenever my FB friends post pictures of exciting things they do and whatnot, I'm actually EXCITED and HAPPY for them, and enjoy seeing those picks. It makes me HAPPY to know my friends and family are getting to do some happy things for themselves.

And...they are happy to see me post about the things that make me happy, which may be different (and cost less) than their "happy". But we enjoy seeing others' posts and whatnot, nonetheless.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm far too awesome in real life to care about other people's fake (or highly embellished) Internet lives. Maybe that's why I've never had a Facebook account. It seems like a colossal waste of time, not to mention adding unnecessary drama to my life. :yawn:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    whats Facebook?
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I wouldn't call it "envy" per se, but sometimes I just think to myself... why? what? or my favorite... no.

From my HS graduating class there are two people who aren't married - I am one of them.
    From my HS graduating class there are <10 people without children - I am one of these also.

I do not have the financial resources to take vacations to all those fancy places that my friends do - I wish I did! - I'm happy for those people, but wish I could do it too - so envy? jealous? Whatever you want to call it.

The proposals?! OH THE PROPOSALS!!!! LOL Please let my future husband have a romantic and creative side paaaaaleeeeeese

I try not to let it bum me out too much - if I feel that it's "bothering" me then I just don't get on FB for a few days - go outside, get some sunshine, go to the gym, go to a local attraction, be with friends, or something like that.

This!! I don't think I am envious, but Facebook does end up bugging me for a variety of reasons. So I just take a break and come back a few days later. Or unfollow the annoying ones. lol
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm not 12 either. And absolutely, there is no point to it. Nor is there any point for a lot of random thoughts/feelings, especially the counter productive ones. They still happen though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not home crying into my tea about it but I'll admit, there are times when I'm at work on a Saturday night wishing I was out at the places my friends are at instead. Or alternatively, sitting at home in winter rugged up wishing I was on a tropical island holiday looking glamorous

Sorry, just realised how patronising I sounded. Not meaning to accuse you of being immature or anything.

I didn't mean that it's wrong to get Facebok envy. But I had "Bebo envy" (when Bebo was a thing!) of folk when I was a pre/teenager. I grew out of it is all - I realised you can get envious or you can get busy with life :)