Anybody here get "Facebook envy"?

Replies

• xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Only envy I have, every now and then is when people announce that they are having a baby - but only a little bit, I would never wish for someone to not have their own families.

I just hope I can be a mother one day also :-)
  • Raisingsonshines
    Raisingsonshines Posts: 50 Member
    I envy some couples at times, purely because I am newly single and have the blues lol.

nothing malice though, its not actual envy just makes me think of the things I did with my ex.

but life is life, tough times call for tough minds, gotta be positive :)

Great way to look at it!

Going through the same. lol
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Hypocritical posts about your kids being bullied, when in fact you were my bully growing up, things like that. I have no interest in people's lives on Facebook.

Why... do you have your former bully as a friend on Facebook? I say axe 'em!

:bigsmile:

Like another poster said, it's like watching a train wreck. My bullies made some TERRIBLE choices in life, and I don't mind watching the gong show. Makes me put things in perspective and love the choices I've made, including getting out of the horrid town I grew up in.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    No, facebook gives me the opposite feelings.

Makes me VERY glad I am where I am in life.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Sometimes I see things and wish I was there with the person, but then when I am away, I guess they think the same thing.
    Envy is a dangerous emotion, and should be avoided at almost any cost.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Ah you got me. I'm not really a furry hippo. :sad:

You know what, though, life's out there. Go live it, then post actual genuine stuff that's amazing. Or actually don't bother posting and just enjoy life. :-D
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    I used to get a lot of Facebook envy, but instead of wallowing in it I decided to become one of my FB friends' biggest fans. If I have a thought about the unfairness of someone getting/doing something that I can't enjoy, I immediately replace it with something along the lines of "they've worked hard to deserve that, so I should cheer them on." I find that focusing on letting another person's happiness be infectious is a much better expense of my emotional energy than feeling sad about what I don't have compared to them.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    For me it's more guilt than envy... I should take my family out and do all those cool things I see our friends doing.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    I get "Facebook Rage":

I have a few friends who like to post their cryptic status updates and then when you ask them what is wrong they respond "I don't want to talk about it" or "leave me alone". Then WHY did you just post that if you don't want to talk about it? Now I just ignore them, I learned that very early on. Damn drama queens. :grumble:

"Why does this have to happen to me?"

"I could just disappear and no one would even notice :("

"I feel so alone :("

"I can't believe THAT just happened!"

Edited for spelling.

^^ This

I have unfollowed SO many people. Also people who moan about EVERYTHING.

I don't care that you have hayfever. I have hayfever too! Take anti-histamine and stop whining!

I also get annoyed by the blatant attention wh*res and glory hunters. The competitive 'my life is better than yours' merchants. I'm so sorry for them that they are so unhappy that they need to overcompensate on social media.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Yes. I've experienced facebook envy. Moreso when i was younger, and so ****ing unsure of myself and of life. not quite as much now. i'm much happier than i've ever been in prior years so other people's lives matter a lot less.
    I get envy of the way some people look, but it's because I have ****ty self esteem.

I am not to proud to admit that.
    yes. i admit to sharing this sentiment sometimes too.
    I get "Facebook Rage":

I have a few friends who like to post their cryptic status updates and then when you ask them what is wrong they respond "I don't want to talk about it" or "leave me alone". Then WHY did you just post that if you don't want to talk about it? Now I just ignore them, I learned that very early on. Damn drama queens. :grumble:

"Why does this have to happen to me?"

"I could just disappear and no one would even notice :("

"I feel so alone :("

"I can't believe THAT just happen!"

Edited for spelling.
    I have one girl from HS on there.. oh my god... She is a mess.. and I only keep her on there for my own entertainment purposes.. My husband says that's pretty F'd up.. It's like a train wreck.. Just can't stop staring... I like reading her posts just so I can shake my head. :ohwell:
    all of the this too! lol and i absolutely stay friends with one in particular for pure entertainment! i do have to unfollow her sometimes to give myself a mental break.
    ...I also know that posting pictures of happy times doesn't necessarily reveal the underlying mess that we all have in our lives to some extent. Just take Facebook for what it is.

this is great advice too. and i think it's very true.
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    So glad I quit Facebook a couple years ago. It's sad we're all herded into internet dead-ends to be experimented upon.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    I love Facebook, I really enjoy seeing pics of my far flung family and friends, hearing about their days, enjoying their happiness and feeling their sadness, as for the drama queens, boasters, like seekers and selfie lovers I just scroll on past.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    I don't have Facebook
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    You know, only when they post relationship stuff. But, then I recall all those years in a loveless, abusive marriage and I totally recall posting "Awesome relationship" stuff, too.

Facebook is really just selling yourself and your life. You can completely frame how to see your own story. Remember that, dudes. I've got an app on my phone called "Timehop" and it shows my status updates from that day for up to like 6 years ago and anyone reading them back then would have thought I had an awesome marriage.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Dude, cryptic status updates are awesome! Like that one time I put "fear, hatred, rage" then let the fur fly.

Wait...nevermind...but, seriously, FB has become a time waster. The only thing to do on there are the stupid puzzle games. I really need another hobby.

:-)
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    There is one person on my facebook I do a little. Because she is living the exact life that I wanted. The job, the travel everything lol
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Don't have facebook
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    It's called FOMO (fear of missing out)! And despite all the posts here who say things like "envy is stupid," it happens a LOT. Just remember that Facebook and other social media are people's controlled, idealized representations of themselves. People will post pictures of the fabulous food they ate in India, but not the explosive diarrhea they got afterward! They'll post pictures of their children playing together and being adorable, but not the ones of them trying to throw each other over the balcony. They only post the best, most photogenic pictures of themselves, and not the one caught mid-sneeze. While their life may seem "better" than yours on Facebook, it probably isn't, and they are probably sitting at their computer screen thinking the same thing about you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I know it's sad and that the lives people put up and portray on Facebook aren't exactly realistic representations but I still find myself getting Facebook envy! Im hoping I'm not the only one...

☆Edit☆ Just want to clarify, I don't mean envy in the sense of resentful longing, I'm using the term loosely in lieu of an appropriate substitute. ☆edit☆

Huh? So if I put my life on facebook it's not realistic at all? Huh?