• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also watch
    Cosmos
    Nova
    Fifth Estate
    The Nature of Things

Lots of other nature shows, science documentaries, animal rescue such as Hope for Wild Life.

Jane Goodall and others with scientists that study primates.

The Story of Science
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Cove was really incredible - but Ill never watch it again and a small part of me wishes I could erase it from my memory "Men In Black" style. :frown:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Here is a book I wish they'd turn into a documentary, even if I don't think I could stand to watch it (cried my way through a class that was largely based around it): Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I also watch
    Cosmos
    Nova
    Fifth Estate
    The Nature of Things

Lots of other nature shows, science documentaries, animal rescue such as Hope for Wild Life.

The Story of Science

I actually got to meet Jane Goodall when she spoke at my college. I'm not usually one to refer to having hero's, but if I did, she would be one of them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said "Dear Zachary" yet. I cried. So much.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I just asked my daughter and she recommended: Your Inner Fish
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    And VICE has tons of great short docs.

I have seen two of these - they were the North Korea one, and the Cannibal Warlords of Liberia. Both great.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    And VICE has tons of great short docs.

I have seen two of theses - they were the North Korea one, and the Cannibal Warlords of Liberia. Both great.

In that case, there is one on rightwing deathsquads in Colombia that will make your blood boil, too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I also watch
    Cosmos
    Nova
    Fifth Estate
    The Nature of Things

The Story of Science

I actually got to meet Jane Goodall when she spoke at my college. I'm not usually one to refer to having hero's, but if I did, she would be one of them.

Lucky!!! A lot of my friends have met her also. My husband has met Stephen Hawking.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like random documentaries on youtube.
  • Proph24
    Proph24 Posts: 195
    Options

usually how i do it too, im watching "the times of harvey milk" right now on there
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The Pruitt-Igoe Myth is a must see for anyone interested in learning the basic beginnings of modern American housing inequality.

anything from Ken Burns will be good but I especially like the one on baseball (and i HATE baseball but it helped give me some appreciation for it) and the one on the US national parks!

american hardcore is good for anyone interested in american punk

a band called death for anyone interested in american punk
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Love documentaries. I work at one of the last surviving video stores, and organized the documentaries we had in to one easy-to-browse section and it's been a real hit, which makes me happy.

Anyway!

- Sharkwater
    - March of the Penguins
    - DisneyNature African Cats (sobfest)
    - The Cove - RAGE INDUCING SOBFEST.
    - Blackfish - Ditto!
    - Dear Zachary - see above, as well as -if you though the Canadian legal system was effed up before... oh wow.
    -Supersize Me - ONLY for entertainment value, not scientific.
    - Bowling for Columbine - the only Michael Moore documentary where he didn't seem too insane. Plus, it showed Marilyn Manson as an intelligent human haha, I wasn't aware of that side of him.
    -The Paradise Lost Trilogy - ongoing story of the West Memphis Three, from incarceration to exoneration
    - Religulous
    -What Would Jesus Buy

And essentially any true-crime documentary. There's one on Netflix (which I don't have at the moment and therefore can't remember the name of) about a guy who shot and killed his sister, because he thought it was his parents coming home, and he had forged their wills and was trying to collect money. His parents still visit him and don't believe he's a monster... We watched it in school (paralegal course) last year and the guy has the dead eyes of a sociopath.
    Also, this. There was one I found entirely by chance a few months ago, it was British and about this guy who got catfished by someone pretending to be a secret agent... it had a major ridiculous twist ending.
  • pipertargaryen
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said "Dear Zachary" yet. I cried. So much.

I missed this post before posting my list. I absolutely mentioned it, because, OH MY GOD. I was younger when I watched it, still living at home with my parents, and sobbed so hysterically my mom came upstairs to check on me :sad:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    PBS just had one on their American Experience series last week about the Freedom Summer (this is the 50th anniversary). It was really good. It was a good reminder of how far we have come, and it also was a good warning about where we are again headed with voter suppression laws. You can still watch in on the PBS website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/freedomsummer/player/
  • ScoobyM34
    ScoobyM34 Posts: 71
    Options
    Let's see here:

Blackfish
    Super Size Me (heard it's not very truthful though)
    GLOW and other wrestling docs
    Kumare
    Tent City USA
    This film not yet rated
    Earthlings (even though it makes me incredibly sad it gives lots of info)
    A band called Death
    Deliver us from evil
    the most hated family in america
    American Scream and other making of horror movie docs
    Best Worst Movie ever
    Room 237
    Bully

I'm sure there is more on youtube and netflix that I'm forgetting but these are off the top of my head

OH and interview with the iceman. It's about richard Kilkinski. He was a hitman for the mafia for most of his life
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I recently got started on the different ones produced by British TV where anthropologists, historians, etc live on farms like the people did at various times in history like Tudor times, the Stuarts, WW II, Edwardian, etc. I really liked the Victorian Pharmacy.
  • pipertargaryen
    Options
    There was another one we watched in class last year, about a guy already in prison on murder charges who murdered another inmate on camera, stabbing him over and over and over, and they showed the video. Even though it was from a distance, it was really disturbing. I cringe thinking about it, but that's probably why it sticks with me. The whole thing was interesting, though. If I find it I'll add the name to this post.
  • Proph24
    Proph24 Posts: 195
    Options
    There was another one we watched in class last year, about a guy already in prison on murder charges who murdered another inmate on camera, stabbing him over and over and over, and they showed the video. Even though it was from a distance, it was really disturbing. I cringe thinking about it, but that's probably why it sticks with me. The whole thing was interesting, though. If I find it I'll add the name to this post.

thats the only scene i remember i seen that too

BBC had a great documentary 3 part series called "life and death row" that came out earlier this year
  • Meerataila
    Options
    PBS just had one on their American Experience series last week about the Freedom Summer (this is the 50th anniversary). It was really good. It was a good reminder of how far we have come, and it also was a good warning about where we are again headed with voter suppression laws. You can still watch in on the PBS website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/freedomsummer/player/

That one was good.

This one was, too, if it's the one I'm thinking of:
    The Pruitt-Igoe Myth is a must see for anyone interested in learning the basic beginnings of modern American housing inequality.