You know you're from

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Atlanta

-You know to turn left where the Kroger used to be. Even though they tore it down before you were born.

Here in Minneapolis, we still refer to Macy's as Daytons. It's been a million years.

LOL in my Missouri town you can tell a person's age by whether they refer to a certain department store as Macy's, Famous Barr, Heer's, or Newman's.

Also I am totally guilty of giving directions based on things that used to be. I use landmarks that have been gone for years. lol
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The South:

Number 1 Rule: You MUST have a college football preference. No exceptions!

BTW, Roll Tide!!! :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The South:

This includes women and dogs. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Atlanta

-Rush hour traffic is more of a game of Russian roulette than a time of day.
    -If you need a ladder or a mattress, you can find it on the highway.
    -You know to turn left where the Kroger used to be. Even though they tore it down before you were born.
    -You aren't from around here.
    -You know somebody who was. Her grandfather used to be the pastor of her home church.
    -When somebody provides the direction "and then you go down the hill," you know you are going to get lost.

How can you leave out the Big Chicken? :laugh:

I do everything I can to leave out the Big Chicken.

I lived in Atlanta (or "Hell" as I like to call it, being a Saints' fan) for a year in the late 80's. I swear, every direction I got from people included the Big Chicken. :laugh:

And it's the most disappointing thing EVER when you finally realize THAT'S what they are referring to.

There is a Big Fish bar on Highway 2 in Bena, Minnesota that OWNS Marietta's Big Chicken.
  • Cheekies_
    Options
    LOL! Forgot to add the dogs... :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    LOL! Forgot to add the dogs... :smile:

Being from the North...and female...I don't actually watch SEC games. I just follow them on my facebook newsfeed.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I decided to post a few specifically for South Carolina.

You know you're from South Carolina when...

1. You're either a Gamecock fan or a Clemson fan, and there's no other option.
    2. You've been to Charleston so many times you wonder why people consider it a vacation spot.
    3. USC definitely does NOT stand for University of Southern California.
    4. You know there's a very distinct difference between North Carolina and South Carolina and really wish people would stop saying "the Carolinas" as if it's one place.
    5. If you live in the midlands, you know to avoid Harbison at all costs during the months of November through mid-January.
    6. Snow? Oh, you mean that white dusting we get every three years that melts in one day and causes the whole town to shut down?
    7. The state fair is where it's at. Come on October! Fried Oreos, giant corn dogs, and big turkey legs - here we come!
    8. You laugh when people in other more northern states complain about the heat. Psht, they don't know heat!
    9. You think going to Lake Murray is basically like going to the beach, minus the gas money.
    10. All carbonated beverages are soda or "Coke" - it doesn't matter what variety - and it's most certainly not "pop" or "soda pop."
    11. You don't know roads, you know landmarks. "Oh, you mean that house by the big bush?"
    12. Carls Jr.? Oh, you mean Hardees?
    13. Dogs and guns. You own at least one of each, and you take care of one way better than the other (hint: you take better care of your guns).
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Utah when:

-The first question anybody out of state asks you is if you know any polygamists or if you're part of the Mormon church
    -The only point of reference used is Salt Lake City
    -You always use your blinker at the last second so nobody can keep you from changing lanes .. or leave it on indefinitely
    -You experience all 4 seasons in one day
    -You can correctly pronounce cities such as Tooele, Hurricane,or Duschene
    -The "U" and "Y" are not just letters
    -You travel to another state in order to play the lottery
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    The South:

I'll fight you too! :tongue:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    ...Louisiana if you don't freek the hell out when someone uses the term "coon *kitten*"
  • jnichel
    Options
    Utah when:

-The first question anybody out of state asks you is if you know any polygamists or if you're part of the Mormon church
    -The only point of reference used is Salt Lake City
    -You always use your blinker at the last second so nobody can keep you from changing lanes .. or leave it on indefinitely
    -You experience all 4 seasons in one day
    -You can correctly pronounce cities such as Tooele, Hurricane,or Duschene
    -The "U" and "Y" are not just letters
    -You travel to another state in order to play the lottery

Do you know Donnie and Marie? :laugh:
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    West Virginia if...

1. You know that WV is actually a STATE and not simply Western Virginia.
    2. It's perfectly acceptable to drive your four-wheeler, lawn mower, or other vehicle not intended for road use on the road.
    3. You eat sauce on your hot dog, not chili.
    4. You grew up on fried bologna sandwiches.
    5. You appear to be driving drunk but you're actually dodging all the potholes.
    6. Tudor's is your idea of a romantic breakfast spot.
    7. Your school has an extended Thanksgiving break to allow for ample deer hunting time.
    8. Camoflauge is worn more OUTSIDE of the woods than in them. (Not excluding weddings and other "formal" events.)
    9. People can never pinpoint exactly where you're from by your accent but they're quick to acknowledge that you talk slow.
    10. You know that there are in fact THREE state songs, and you know them all.
    11. Burning a couch is nothing unusual.
    12. You believe Myrtle Beach is THE best vacation spot.
    13. "Down the road" could mean 3 or 30 miles.. no one really knows for sure.
    14. PEPPERONI ROLLS!
    15. You've watched "We Are Marshall" and pointed out all places you know.

Oh, and the rest of the U.S. makes fun of you, your family, and your dear ole' Mountain Mama. Luckily, West Virginians were raised better than that. :smile:
  • Cheekies_
    Options
    The South:

I don't know.... I'm pretty tough. You up for it? :laugh:
  • jnichel
    Options
    The South:

Well, you're from 'Bama, so that should make you a push over, but now that you're living in Tennessee......those Smokey Mountain people are pretty tough.

I'll give you $20 to take a dive. :laugh:
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You know you from New Mexico when:

1.You can get green chili on everything, even donuts!
    2. You hear the phrase "AmIright?" all the time
    3.No-one uses their turn signals
    4.It's hot as hell and feels like it too
    5. When it DOES rain, everyone goes bat**** crazy and acts like they don't know how to drive
    6. When you say "it's hot" someone always says "it's a dry heat".......okay, yeah but it is still hot!
    7. There is reverse discrimination against you because you are so white.
    8.The weather men are NEVER right
    9. Schools close if it snows an inch
    10 Breaking bad made Albuquerque very famous
    11. There is a cactus around every corner
    12. Your choices for painting your house are beige, brown,terra cotta, dirt,baby crap green,burnt umber, and rust
    13.Almost everyone here is a Dallas fan, a Raiders fan, or a Broncos fan and I am none of the above!
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You see an idiot sitting on a bar a stool and all you want to do is carve the Steelers tattoo out of the side of his neck with a butter knife.............you might be from Washington State........and a die hard Seahawks fan lol
  • Cheekies_
    Options
    The South:

Well, you're from 'Bama, so that should make you a push over, but now that you're living in Tennessee......those Smokey Mountain people are pretty tough.

Hahahaha! You're cute.... No deal!
  • jnichel
    Options
    The South:

Alrighty then, it's on. Who's bringing the Jello? :wink:
  • Cheekies_
    Options
    The South:

Alrighty then, it's on. Who's bringing the Jello? :wink:

What's your favorite flavor? :tongue:
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You know you live in El Paso when...

1 There are just as many Burrito Trucks as Ice Cream Trucks.
    2 You rejoice when the burrito vendor walks into the bar at midnight.
    3 The day is not complete without seeing a pick-up truck loaded down with pallets.
    4 Monsoon season means ten minutes of rain.
    5 "It's not that spicy" means you will burn the taste buds off your tounge and your *kitten* will suffer for days.

^ Ha ha, you forgot to mention Chicos Tacos. (Gabriel Iglesias loves Chicos Tacos)

I am from Mexico, but I lived in El Paso for seven years, now I live in Houston, and you know that you are from Texas because most people say "You all" and recommends a great Mexican Restaurant called "Los Cucos" ( Tex-Mex food)

You're both right!! How could I have left out Chicos!!! The locals love it, but it makes me gag. :happy: